Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good portable (very small preferred) MP3 player that is loud enough to hear while riding? I have a Two Brothers pipe and the one I bought today (MP3 player Yepp by Samsung) is not loud enough even at max volume. Im thinking about the Rio or a Panasonic since they are sold on base (Ft. Bragg, NC.), but will consider others. Please help! =)

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Hearing damage is culmulative.

If you can't hear the music over your pipe even at max volume, then you are definitely doing hearing damage.

You may not care now, but when you are older and people have to yell at you for you to hear things, you'd wish you'd have taken care of your hearing better.

Fortunately, there is a solution....and it's cheaper than buying a new mp3 player....

Cheapest solution: Go to the sporting good's store and buy some swimmer's wax. Take your earbuds and remove the foam from them, mould the swimmer's wax around the ear bud without covering the sound perforations. The goal is to get a tight seal between your ears and the ear buds to isolate your music from pipe and wind noise.

Easier solution: Buy one of those 50 dollar pairs of Sony headphones with the silicon plug that fits into your ear. Works decently at cutting out ambient noise--and the sound quality is superb.

Things you should be doing anyway: Wear earplugs while riding at highway speeds. Helmet noise is killer. After you've tried it, you'll never go back.

Note: don't try buying the noise canceling headphones or earbuds. Those work by sampling ambient noise from a probe somewhere on the line and producing a cancelation noise. The problem with those is that alot of the noise from motorcycling is from helmet buffeting and vent whistling...both noises that won't be picked up by the probe because the probe usually isn't on the earbud, but down the line somewhere usually near the music player.

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
I've never tried riding with music...

Not sure what I would think of it either. at the track last weekend I noticed that I never look at my tach..everything was off sound and feel. Different on the street, but I think I want to be able to hear everything.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Okay this is a huge pet piecve I have for any vehicle, but more so when it comes to motorcycles.

Your ability to hear and sense danger is imperative to riding a motorcycle. If you are riding down the highway jamming to music your not paying enough attention to what is going on around you. Personally I find the sounds of riding soothing enough for any commute or ride to provide all the entertainment I need

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Wizard600RR said:
I have a Sony MiniDisc player that I listen to through my Chatterbox. The volume isn't even halfway and I can hear it just fine over my Erion Racing pipe.
I've got the same setup. sony minidisk player and chatterbox. Works awesome and u can turn it off or on and get it louder or softer while riding with your gloves on.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
To those of you that have never tried riding with music, the music IS NOT overwhelming as long as you listen to it at a reasonable level. My music does not interfere with my ability to hear every sound that my engine makes. I can hear the traffic around me, I can hear people talking to me at stoplights. etc, etc....

As long as you don't jack the volume up, maintain safe riding practices, and ride within your personal limits... you'll be fine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
All i have to say is this:

Shure : eC2's, eC3's, or eC5's

Respectivly, $99, $189, $499

I've got the eC2's and they block out everything pretty much. You can still hear a horn or tires screetching or whatever you need to hear, but it tones them down alot.

Baslicly seals off your ear canal.

They work very well and im a fan.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
dude u can give me ur pipe and i'll give u my stock pipe.. i'll pay for shipping and then u can hear ur mp3 player.. ;-) kidding man

·
Registered
485 Posts
the idea about the headphones that seal out the outside noise is a good one. you all should probably be wearing ear plugs when you ride if your worried about hearing loss. i wear them and they pose no safety concerns and save my ears, whihc i do because i know how much it sucks now to lose hearing. mine is greatly dimished from 5 years on the flightline. so i save what i've got.

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
I have an IRiver MP3.... plenty loud enough... really good quality.. really small.. just all around perfect... i use it sometimes... and I have a Jardine with race baffle and i can hear it real good over the Jardine... so i dont think you would have a problem at all.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wizard600RR said:
To those of you that have never tried riding with music, the music IS NOT overwhelming as long as you listen to it at a reasonable level. My music does not interfere with my ability to hear every sound that my engine makes. I can hear the traffic around me, I can hear people talking to me at stoplights. etc, etc....

As long as you don't jack the volume up, maintain safe riding practices, and ride within your personal limits... you'll be fine.
+1 on this. I listen to mine low enough to where I can hear what the gate guards are saying when I go through to get onto base.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've got the Sony earbuds, with the silicone seal. Work pretty good, just have a hard time with them coming out of my ear slightly, breaking the "seal" when I put my helmet on. Plugged into either my Mini iPod, or my iPod G4. Awesome players!!!!

Anyone else have that problem when putting on your helmet?

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
A) Wind noise is louder than any headphones can play. Your ears just attenuate them so you don't notice the wind noise--but it's there and damaging your ears. If you can't hear anything over your headphones, what makes you think you can hear anything over the wind noise?

B) you shouldn't have to listen to your engine shift. You should be able to feel your engines power band and know when to shift by the vibrations of the engine and the pull of the gear.

C) Noise is relative. With ear plugs in, the car behind you is "quieter" but so is everything else. You'll still be able to hear the horn.

D) Ear plugs don't attenuate sound equally across all sound ranges. Low frequency noise caused by buffetting is virtually eliminated as is high frequency whistling. Sound that is the most audible to the human ear--such as a car horn....remain the most audible sound ranges...you'll still hear the horn.

E) it is now Legal to wear ear plugs while riding in CA. They changed the law because they understand the need for hearing safety while riding.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
My sony headphones didn't get a good seal at first...

You have to get used to putting your helmet without shifting the earphones out of your ear.

What I do is I put the plugs into my ear as far as they'll go. I then position the helmet ontop of my head like i'm just about to pull the helmet down. Before I pull the helmet down though, I pick up some of the cord from each earbud in each of my thumbs and pinch it against the side of my head....basically, what is happenening is that when you pull the helmet over your head, it tugs down on your earbuds and pulls them out...so what you do is you put your thumbs (fingernail side) against your ear buds and hold the earbuds in place while you pull the helmet down.

But that's only part of it, as soon as you pull your thumbs out, the liner will expand to fill up the space that your thumbs had just previously occupied and will pull on the cords of your ear buds just a little bit and pull them out of place. By taking extra cord up and holding it against your head while you pull the helmet on, you provide the earbuds with extra slack so the helmet can shift around on your head without moving the earbuds. Damn, that didn't make any sense at all. Oh well. it just takes practice...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah the Shure ones actually wrap around my ear, so you can tug on the cord all you want, and they're not comming out.

I dont think the sony's are over the ear like that.

Get some Shure's and you'll know why.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No, that actually makes a lot of sense. That's why the more I move around with my helmet on, the more they seem to come out.

I'm going to try your method. Thanks for the help!

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
those shure earbuds look pretty cool.

i'm down for droppin' money on quality products.

Is there somewhere I can go to try that ish on?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts