Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man, this course really drained me...physically and psychologically. while the exercises are fairly trivial, they're all done at low speed and each riding session is six hours long. basically, you use the clutch about as much as you would driving for six hours in stop and go traffic. also, for the range test each student takes the test in front of the other students. so, if you're the type of person who gets excited or nervous under pressure or in front of a group, beware. anyhow, the course is definitely worthwhile because you get your license without risking dropping your bike and supposedly you get an insurance break. for any of you guys who are thinking about taking this course and buying a sportbike, you might want to think twice: nothing is done above 20 miles an hour so you don't get to experience countersteering or braking at any type of speed. on the other hand, you learn low speed maneuvers and parking lots seem to be a common place where people drop their bikes. if you live in the dc metro area, i highly recommend taking the course at montgomery college. the instructors, dave and barry, were very cool and laid back.

·
Registered
682 Posts
drained you, ay? LOL!!! it was so easy bro...if you can't make U-turns on your bike without dropping it...the you really need to practice some more...

the class is NOT difficult...just have fun and learn everything you can...

- D

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
dsf600rr said:
drained you, ay? LOL!!! it was so easy bro...if you can't make U-turns on your bike without dropping it...the you really need to practice some more...

the class is NOT difficult...just have fun and learn everything you can...

- D
Blah! Cut the guy a break. Everyone learns at different speeds. I am sure he can do something better than you and say the same thing.

Jason

·
Registered
526 Posts
trying to do it all on one wheel, might make it pretty hard...lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i meant it was tough in the sense that the sessions were long, redundant, and it was like driving in stop and go traffic. i didn't say the u-turns and other course content were difficult.

·
Registered
526 Posts
were just messin with you man, take your time and learn properly it will be worth it

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Actually at 20 mph you are already counter steering in turns.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with everything you said except this part:

for any of you guys who are thinking about taking this course and buying a sportbike, you might want to think twice:

Totally take the course if you're getting a sportbike, any bike. The slow speed stuff is so critical. It's hilarious seeing guys with hayabusas and R1s that can't even make a U'turn without putting their feet down, but damn, they can do a sweet wheelie with 150+hp on their bike.

All in all, I took the course and it was smokin hot outside. It is long but as long as you take a friend, or make new ones there, it's really a blast.

And who doesn't like scrapin pegs on a 250 Virago/Rebel?

·
Please Excuse me, I've been drinking again.
4,452 Posts
Eh, I dunno if I'd call it a flame...because the class was pie...easy as hell, and I thought it was lots of fun, I enjoyed the long classes outside on the bikes...and it helped me A LOT.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I Just finsh my MSF course today on 5/9/04. I had why to much fun there. I was the only one going 15-35mph when doing to exercises. I even lowside, do to it was raining and i was not use to thae bike. For me some part was hard, some where easy. But still Everyone's is there to learn and have fun.

·
Registered
307 Posts
yeah, i know barry because he was one of the instructors when i took the course @ montgomery college. he was very nice and encouraging (while this one female instructor was a biatch).

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have to agree somewhat, it drained me a lot. We had to be in our gear between sessions and 6 hours in the NC sun was not easy at all. I had been riding for 12 years and another guy on a hog had been on for more than 20 and I have to say, both of us learned a decent amount about low speed handling. I would reccomend the course to anyone. Just don't try to ride the day after lol, you clutch hand will be SORE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tkkc, i didn't mean that people planning on riding a sportbike shouldn't take the course; they definitely should. the low speed maneuvers and basic principles are very important. i was more responding to the fact that lots of guys take the msf and think because it's easy that they're ready for the latest and greatest sportbikes. for experienced riders who are taking this class just to get their license or brush up then a sportbike is fine i'm sure. but, for people who haven't had experience in traffic or real riding (outside a parking lot) i don't think this course makes them a good candidate for a sportbike.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I tried getting into one just recently, but i couldn't find the building on the school campus that it was held in and no one was around to help me find it until it was too late.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Please don't complain...the class itself was pretty easy, but I had the worst weather to deal with...it was early March in New England, there was still some snow banks in the parking lot and it rained the ENTIRE weekend. We were completely soaked. Wind chill really sucks. I don't know how I didn't get pneumonia. I couldn't feel my hands for most of it and the carbeurated bikes would bog because of the rain and the cold weather. It made it really difficult to do the slow speed stuff or the emergency braking. Our instructor told us we didn't have to wear eye protection, because with it we were completely blind.

It could have been fun if it was warm and sunny, but I pretty much hated every minute of it...don't get me wrong, definitely take the course...the lessons learned are valuable.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Dude, you are countersteering as soon as the wheels roll. Then again it becomes a clear countersteer above about 10mph. ANYONE can ride a bike fast in a straight line. Put a bike on a rearstand in 6th gear, lock the throttle on and knock it off the stand, it will go for miles....... There is almost ZERO skill to ride fast and straight. If you have problems with the 135deg curve or the u-turn in the box, you will have trouble anywhere. You must get that stuff down pat before you wick it up and cant make that turn at 65.

·
Registered
734 Posts
redrider, as long as you passed that is what counts. trust me, what you learned in that class WILL save your ass, there is a reason for the redundancy, to make sure you know it WELL.

Congrats and keep the shiny side up

Rippey

1 - 20 of 20 Posts