Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to get it out somehow...

Just finished the MSF course today and got a perfect score! no points !

I was one of only two people in my class of about 12 or 13 to get a perfect score in the whole course.

Just felt like sharing. :spin:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
congrats bro! You have every right and reason to share! Shows your dedicated to learning the safety mechanics of riding and take pride in yourself! Everyone should take the msf. Hope you use what you learned to the streets. It's far less forgivng.

D

·
0 Posts
The MSF courses are too easy to not get a perfect score, but congrats on not being one of the people who can't figure out how to ride a bike faster then 10mph.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You must be a motoercycle god! J/k good job. I was soooo close to having a perfect score but he deducted one point because I forgot to downshift down to first during the emergency stop. Man I was pissed, he was watchin me like a hawk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on the perfect score :beer: I did mine in the pouring down rain with 30 mph winds. I think it takes a MAJOR storm with lots of lightning for them to shut down the course. I was just happy I passed with a score of 4. Two people went down doing the emergency stop because they locked up the front tire. The one had 20+ years riding experience.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good job man!!
I was the only one in my class as well. I had to deal with rain though!! Its definately a great class and I always reccomend it to any newbie lookin to get a bike. everything I learned in that class I still pratice out in the street.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it wasnt as easy as I thought it would be for a couple reasons:

1. The instructors were very strict. And yes, they watch you like a hawk. One of them noticed that I braked with only two fingers from the other side of the course on the 1st DAY!

2. today was sunny and cool for the testing, but yesterday it poured like it was the end of the world (that tropical storm that passed) and the wind gusts definitely caught some people of guard.

I was just excited when they said that I had a perfect score because even the people that seemed to do well got points for the littlest things so I expected to have some "bullsh!t" points on there.

they DID have to tell this one lady to park off to the side about halfway into the course because she just couldnt ride at all. I dont think she could go into 1st from a stop w/o stalling... etc. I kinda felt bad.

BUT, it was definitely worth it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats! I got a perfect score on mine as well and my instructor gave me a gremlin bell!! woot Woot! I was rhe only one who earned one in a class of 25+ people!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats on completion and the perfect score! I got a perfect score as well, AND I managed to get my instructor on his knees "I am not worthy! I am not worthy!" during the u-turn lessons. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
congrats! i almost got kicked out for speeding and shifting out of first gear when i wasn't supposed to :laughing1

·
Registered
579 Posts
I got yelled at for turning using the clutch/throttle instead of walking it.

Girl in my class dumped it twice the first day, didnt come back the second, even though they said she wouldve passed.

Its amazing people wanna get on a bike yet are deathly afraid to take it over 10mph.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just finished my class yesterday as well at Lakehurst Naval Station, and was also the only one in the class to get a perfect score on both the written and riding section!!

Great Class

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is that bad, i always have 2 fingers covering/using the brake when im riding

And congrats man, i hope your street riding goes as well as your course did, perfect!
well it wasnt as easy as I thought it would be for a couple reasons:

1. The instructors were very strict. And yes, they watch you like a hawk. One of them noticed that I braked with only two fingers from the other side of the course on the 1st DAY!

2. today was sunny and cool for the testing, but yesterday it poured like it was the end of the world (that tropical storm that passed) and the wind gusts definitely caught some people of guard.

I was just excited when they said that I had a perfect score because even the people that seemed to do well got points for the littlest things so I expected to have some "bullsh!t" points on there.

they DID have to tell this one lady to park off to the side about halfway into the course because she just couldnt ride at all. I dont think she could go into 1st from a stop w/o stalling... etc. I kinda felt bad.

BUT, it was definitely worth it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Back when I took mine I got a 100% on the written and riding test but then I hit the streets. Realized that the course on those bikes at those low speeds almost any idiot (within reason) should score at least 99%.

A few weeks into riding a lady turned out in front of me and sent me flying up and over her. Use your skills you've learned and really apply them to the streets and don't be to confident and ride within your limits.

Ride Safe man and congrats on the 100%.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is that bad, i always have 2 fingers covering/using the brake when im riding

And congrats man, i hope your street riding goes as well as your course did, perfect!

i asked them "why do so many people say to cover the front brake like that?

they just said "its not the proper way..." and I didn't feel like questioning them since they know what they're doing.

BUT what I got from it is that beginners shouldn't do that because you're supposed to be rolling off and reaching the break at the same time. A beginner may, since they're covering the brake, just pull the lever with the two fingers in an emergency and not actually ROLL OFF or let off the throttle.

and the only other thing I can think off is so that in an emergency you can apply more force by using all four.

I'm sure they would explain more if it had been the experienced class... which I cant wait to sign up for already :icon_lol:

·
Registered
606 Posts
i asked them "why do so many people say to cover the front brake like that?
There's a few reasons we ask new riders not to cover the front brake.

1) We want to separate the actions of rolling on the throttle and squeezing the brake. Riding a motorcycle is learning a new motor skill and we need to separate braking and accelerating into two distinct acting. NEW riders will tend to drag that front brake while resting a hand on it causing excessive bike wear, as well as problems in the limited space maneuver box.

2) How many bikes did you hear rev high when people came to a stop? This happens every time I teach the Basic Rider Course. Squeezing the brake with your fingertips is a motor skill that takes some practice. People like to squeeze using their whole hand causing the throttle to twist. By having people separate the throttle and the braking, it's easier to get them to squeeze with their finger tips.

3) Finally, as you guessed, 4 fingers on the brake lever gives them much smoother and usable braking power. Especially on the range bike, many of them have drum front brakes, and you can barely activate them without all four fingers.

Hope that answers your question... Any others?

·
Resident Arai Freak
2,808 Posts
You had forgotten to include that when people panic they grab whatever they can. That is why we have students cover their clutch the first day and really get them off the brakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
^+1

Panic situation + grabbing front brake = going down

On the other hand, having them cover the clutch and grabbing it when they panic is actually a good thing for beginners so they won't accidentally rev the throttle and launch themselves when they don't expect it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts