Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I know the answer I'm going to get but will ask anyway. I've been riding motorcycles here and there for 20 years and just bought my first bike. I have a motorcycle license. I'm guessing my total experience is somewhere around 1,500 miles. I feel like I'm a safe driver and know my way around a car. I've probably done 50 or more track days in Porsche's and similar stuff.

Am I wasting my time with a Riders Edge course or is it a good idea? How much time do they spend showing you stuff like how a clutch works vs. real world safety and awareness tips? I'm not pretending to know everything or even that much about bikes, but some of the course descriptions look extremely beginner.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just finished the "Basic Rider" course offered by the MSF here in PA and I felt it was a real good experience. I haven't been riding nearly as long as you but there were some guys there with 10+ years of experience and some really didn't fare well at first though that is not to say that you wouldn't! If you have the time then take the course unless it's really out of your way. I cruised around on a little Kawasaki Eliminator 125 and was surprised how much I enjoyed most of it. I'll get a discount on my insurance now too so hard to beat. It was free for me here in PA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know.

It's $350 in WI and the insurance discount amounts to about $5 per year at my age. I'm more interested in the time commitment than the money. $350 is money well spent if it saves me from trouble.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'd definitely do it. You'll be surprised how much you didn't know. I'd also recommend buying a copy of the book "Proficient Motorcycling" - Tons more info in there that you won't learn at MSF; real world stuff. I did my mandatory MSF equivalent 16 years ago, and despite riding dirtbikes for years before, I think it gave me an excellent foundation for the future.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
i took the msf class and i had never ridden a motorbike before.. not even dirt.... well anyway i passed the class with PERFECT SCORE... there was people there that had 600 or so miles on their bikes already that were like 2 points away from failing (18 point off) .... i was the only one who got a perfect score so i cant really tell... it was a GREAT learning experience for me but those people who had been riding did so bad (like not going fast enough in turns and foot down in the u turn box... i think u probably know all these things so i wouldnt take it if i were u

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If you never taken the msf course it's a good idea to take it. You will learn things that will be new to you. Back in the days when I took mine there was a guy who had 15 years riding experience after taking the course he said wow money well spent he learned new things.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If you've been riding for 20 years like you said, I'm sure you know what to look out for and what to do should the situation arise.

The course just teaches you how to operate the motorcycle and some very basic common sense skills on the road.

An example, you're moving along on the street and a car pull out of the parking lot and stopped just before entering the street that you're on to yield for you, what should you do as you come close to the car? Another is, where should you look when you turn? How do you counter balance? How do you ride over an obstacle? If someone cut in front of you, what should you do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided it can't hurt and my first class is tomorrow night. Hopefully this is worth the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I decided it can't hurt and my first class is tomorrow night. Hopefully this is worth the time.
Hopefully you get a good bit out of it! Let us know how it goes. I'm certainly curious how a 20 year rider feels about it.

There were a couple times I thought the instructors were off of their advice but I'll save that till after you complete your course and post your comments :five:

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's not like you can really call him a 20 year rider. He stated in the first post that he only had 1500 miles in 20 years. Thats about 75 miles a year. Not exactly experienced...

Good luck man, hope you at least get something out of the course.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Keep in mind the msf course has different skill level courses you can take as well. The more course you take the more money you will save on insurance. My insurance don't accept msf for discount that sucks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
i took the msf class and i had never ridden a motorbike before.. not even dirt.... well anyway i passed the class with PERFECT SCORE... there was people there that had 600 or so miles on their bikes already that were like 2 points away from failing (18 point off) .... i was the only one who got a perfect score so i cant really tell... it was a GREAT learning experience for me but those people who had been riding did so bad (like not going fast enough in turns and foot down in the u turn box... i think u probably know all these things so i wouldnt take it if i were u

That's likely cause they never learned the right way. They're self taught and didn't know the best techniques for situations that may arise.

The thing that gets me is people rarely point out the fact that successfully completing the class lowers the premium on your motorcycle insurance. It was stated earlier in this thread, but most of these threads end up just being a "macho", "I ride better than you thread".

People should just take the course, learn something, and save on insurance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 20 years of experience consists of probably 3000 miles on a scooter just out of high school that I needed a motorcycle license for and 4 years of riding friends bikes while in college. My wife had a Ninja 250 12 years ago when I met her and I might have put 1000 miles on that. Other than the 300 miles I have on my new 600RR, I haven't ridden a bike in 12 years. I feel very comfortable on the bike but this course can't hurt.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 20 years of experience consists of probably 3000 miles on a scooter just out of high school that I needed a motorcycle license for and 4 years of riding friends bikes while in college. My wife had a Ninja 250 12 years ago when I met her and I might have put 1000 miles on that. Other than the 300 miles I have on my new 600RR, I haven't ridden a bike in 12 years. I feel very comfortable on the bike but this course can't hurt.
I would take a guess there's a decent amount to learn from the course then! Either way, I think everyone that takes it is probably better for it. :burnout:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've ridden MX for around 6-7 years, and I took the Basic Riders Course so I could get my license already(Still 17, have to be 18 to get the license without having the course), but, I would recommend it to anyone. Great experience and would definitely do it again. Pretty fun, too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts