Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't condone anything remotely like this on a public road nor do I even do it on a private area but today was too funny. I am in the Marine Corps and in order to ride on base, you must take the begginers course for MSF no matter how long you have been licensed. I went to day one today. Myself and another guy I work with were the only two with any experiance riding so we were giving the bikes hell on the oval tracks and gear changing exercises and such and the instructors were eating it up since we were pretty much on autopilot and they just had to tell us what to do and we did it without being asses and complaining because it was bare bones basic. We got to the fast braking technique portion and my first pass was at like 30 MPH and then a nice quick stop. One instructor griped at me and told me harder next time so I lapped around again and came through faster and hammered the breaks and did a nice little 6 inch stoppie. The instructor was like thats more like it. I got back in line, he wasn't mad so next round, I did it a bit higher and farther keeping nice control of the bike for me at least (I am not a stunter or even pretend to be, just something I can do decent if its a closed course and I am not worried about getting hit). After 5 passes rolling the bike with the back tires up just bit, the guy was like "dude, you are stopping perfectly, nice short and controlled, but this is the beginners course, we dont' need to see the bottom of your rear tire so just go park by the side. You passed this part." I was loving it. I know, rediculous story but it was a blast all the same.

·
Registered
494 Posts
LOL, nice. There was some kid that rides motocross that was in the MSF course with me. He tried pulling a wheelie on one of the Yamaha dual sport/track bikes during one of the riding exercises and he got kicked out of the class without a refund. :p

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that sucks. Sicne these are the base courses, even thought the instructors are certified and have been to the school just like all the others, they are military as well and I had known one of the instructors for years. He was the one who told me to park it. It gets us a little more leniancy on playing around since we know them though.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Speaking of dirt bikes. I took a MSF course and they stuck me on some xterrain trail bike to do my course on. They wanted someone with experience on it because everyone else always wrecked it. I passed the course with a 100 riding and 100 written. Felt pretty good. Not trying to steal your thunder there Slodsm. I too am in the Corps. I just took the Experienced Rider course. Was kind of lame. Did learn a few things though. Can never know too much.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
We (AIRFORCE) can take any course we want as long as we pass. My buddy even got his base sticker with his race liscence. You should tell whomever is in charge of the program to look at the bigger picture instead of just doing what has always been done. Someone else was saying that they (USMC) wouldn't allow hime to ride on base/post(?) with his riding jacket on because he was out of uniform. Now how safe is that? I'd bet my paycheck that rule was made by a non rider, and if someone took the time to educate them on the details they would change it.

H

·
0 Posts
Someone else was saying that they (USMC) wouldn't allow hime to ride on base/post(?) with his riding jacket on because he was out of uniform.
f%ck that....i never ride without gear...you never know what can happen....i am the better safe then sorry type....i am so use to riding with a jacket that when i ride without one i feel like i am doing something wrong.........

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You take Exp. MSF classes to learn to read the road better and have the coaches see if you have good technique. If you 'know it all' in the beginners class, you will more than likely score below average because you have your own ideas and not all may be proven correct. If you show off, and have a cool coach, they will tell you to cool it. If they are a prick, they will throw you out. Go there to learn, not show you know everything.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
dracus said:
LOL, nice. There was some kid that rides motocross that was in the MSF course with me. He tried pulling a wheelie on one of the Yamaha dual sport/track bikes during one of the riding exercises and he got kicked out of the class without a refund. :p
Same thing happened during my safety course but it was a big fat Harley guy that thought he was all that.. Funny thing was, he got the wheel up about 2 inches and got the boot...

·
Registered
218 Posts
f%ck that....i never ride without gear...you never know what can happen
when i ride without one i feel like i am doing something wrong.........
:lol2: Sorry man I had to call you out on that one. :lol2:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I got back in line, he wasn't mad so next round, I did it a bit higher and farther keeping nice control of the bike for me at least (I am not a stunter or even pretend to be, just something I can do decent if its a closed course and I am not worried about getting hit). After 5 passes rolling the bike with the back tires up just bit,

:bitchslap: I am going to have to raise the BS Flag on this one. I too have been to the MSF course and the Classroom portion of the instuctor school and they would hammer you for this kind of behavior in front of all those young impressionable newbies. Now i could understand doing it once... "on accident".......but 5 times, come on man, we're all friends here. They test you're talking about is "supposed" to be done at 12-15 MPH's vice the 30mph that you stated? Every class i have seen instucted the they were VERY attimate about people NOT showing off.

On another note....congrats......Stay Safe!

U

·
0 Posts
My instructors let me goof off a bit, not during the exercises though. During lunch we raced each other around the lot. lol

·
Moto GP Racer
3,753 Posts
I just recently did the experienced riders course b/c the contract on the Twentynine Palms Base got canceled. They run the course over on Pendleton but it is a three day thing. SO I figured I'd just do the 5 hour quick thingy. WHen I got there I was the only sportbike. 3 huge Harley Heritages were there. 1 Guy had every piece on it chromed. He said he had spent over 10 grand on the bike. :shock:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts