Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Impreza The Impressive
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of you guys in here would recommend taking the MSF course but my buddy just finished his and he said it's not worth it and it's a waste of $160. He has been riding for about 3-4 months then took the class and said it was a waste. The hardest thing they learned in the class was to brake hard while turning. I have about 2500 mi on my 05 and I decided not to take it and just take my L's test at the dmv. I don't know... what you guys think? did the class really helped you? or did you have any riding exp. before taking the class?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I really liked it. Although, I didn't have any riding experience prior. I still think it's a good thing to take even if you learn one small thing it could end up saving your butt.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I did it because it meant me not having to do the state motorcycle test at the DMV. So was it worth it? Yes. It's really just basic fundamentals for riding - many people had never even sat on a bike before in my class.

If you've already got 2,500 miles under your belt then you will probably just laugh your way through the course.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're set against it, then I'd very much recommend a track day. Cost is about the same and you can start in the novice riders class and learn alot. Get with other riders or pay a little extra and get some 1 on 1 time with an instructor. Main thing is practice and ride within your limits (which are usually a bit lower than you think ;)

Good luck

·
Impreza The Impressive
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BH600 said:
If you've already got 2,500 miles under your belt then you will probably just laugh your way through the course.
that's what my buddy told me. He pretty much slacked off because they were learning how to turn the throttle while giving it gas or something.

imaposer said:
If you're set against it, then I'd very much recommend a track day. Cost is about the same and you can start in the novice riders class and learn alot. Get with other riders or pay a little extra and get some 1 on 1 time with an instructor. Main thing is practice and ride within your limits (which are usually a bit lower than you think ;)

Good luck
I'm ready to do track days man, I can't even wait. yes i will take it easy and in the novice course.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The MSF course will seem boring to you or your friend if you're already riding, especially the portions that cover the basics of vehicle operation. However, the street survival strategies will be priceless to you. maybe instead of the BRC (basic riders course) you two should take the experienced riders course, which covers the same street strategies and more advanced bike handling-using your bike. that might be much more beneficial to you. more than a trackday since most of your riding is on the street.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took it about 2 months ago and I think it was totally worth it. There were some long time riders in my class. The instructor said that there is a difference between knowing how to riding and knowing how to ride correctly. Everyone takes away something from the class and It could save your skin.

·
silent master
3,532 Posts
dude, your friend got jipped!

its illegal to make someone pay more than $100 on taking those course... check their website!

but thats not the point....you should not ask that question coz even if your an experience rider, it still a good opportunity to polish up and learn something 'new'.

plus the card that they give you gives you 10% discount on your insurance.

so is it worth?? my answer is hell yeah!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I took it a while after I had been riding (although I had my license) and I'm glad I took it. Most of it was incredibly easy but the skills on how to react and that kinda stuff were good, and running over the boards was something I would never have tried on my F4i so thats one thing you learn that could come in handy sometime.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
panda_stunter said:
its illegal to make someone pay more than $100 on taking those course... check their website!
That varies from state to state. In CA the cost is $250 for the class. I know in other states its free.

panda_stunter said:
plus the card that they give you gives you 10% discount on your insurance.
that also varies from one insurance company to another.

still, all in all its well worth it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Youll feel like its a waste while your there, especially if youve ridden before like I did. BUT, immediately after, within a week, you will notice yourself using techniques for looking into turns, and watching for a lot of things that you didnt do before you took the class. I say without a doubt do it. AND, if you wanna do it free come to PA and take it...jk, not really, but seriously.:fiddy:

·
Registered
736 Posts
i have taken the basic course and the expirenced rider course. they are great classes and will teach you skills for much better slow speed manuevering. plus most of us dont use our rear brakes and they teach why you should use it and when. it cannot hurt you to take the course. besides if your buddy taught you how to ride he probably also taught you his bad habits. take it you wont be dissapointed.

lilguns

·
Registered
610 Posts
i had very liitle motorcycle experience when i took it and it was absolutely worth it. I'd recommend it for any new rider. as far as doing track days, go to a racing school first. you can start going to track days and all and thats cool, but the more you go you'll just
reinforce bad habits that you have to un-learn later. better to learn the right way first, then put in the practice time.

·
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner
2,862 Posts
I should be taking mine in June but I wont know for sure until I hear back to see if I got the weekend I wanted to take it.

If its only $160 its well worth it b/c in most cases it will lower your inurance if you have taken a saftey course. Im sure you will save at least $160 in a yr by lower rates.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I took it and I thought it was worth the money. You get some useful tips, license at the end and a deduction on your insurance.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
wow.

seeing as there's people who have never been on a bike, to people who have been riding for 20+ years taking the SAME EXACT MSF course, and all are learning from it, i would think it's anything BUT worthless.

You can learn something in the MSF course that can save your life.
Please do not discourage anyone from taking it. And for someone who's been riding a few months to say "there's nothing he learned"....let's wait till he falls. I'm sure his mistake will be something that was covered during the course.

ride safe.

·
Registered
787 Posts
id rather take the msf course and take their test than taking the dmv test, doing an 8-figure turn on a 250 is hella easier than on a 600....but maybe thats just me

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you go into it thinking you already know everything, of course you're going to think it wasn't worth it. Sure, without TOO much effort you'll pass all the written tests and probably even the range (riding) test, and be on your merry way. Then one day you'll get t-boned by an SUV with a cell-phone wielding yuppie coming out of a driveway, because you thought SIPDE was some ghey acronym that didn't apply to you.

·
Impreza The Impressive
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SIPDE i think means Scan Identify Predict Decide Execute. I learned that reading the permit booklet. I'm not by any means discouraging anyone from taking it. All I wanted to know is if it's worth it or not seeing as how my friend is. You guys don't know how he is but the words "it's not worth it man, it's a waste of money" coming from him is really suprising.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts