Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second season riding motorcycle, been riding dirtbikes and quads and stuff all my life and driving standard cars. first vechical i drove was standard sooo cluch is no prob, and i think i can handel the bike pretty well. but i know you never know everything and i know theres still LOTS i have to learn. Im from Newfoundland canada, on the west coast was just wondering if theres any other newfies on this site who know were i could go do this corse or perhaps one similar? I know i did drivers ed for car and that tought me a lot.. i went in thinking i knew it all casue i drove dads truck up and down the dump road when i was a kid lol, but man it really helped. so id really like to find a motorcycle corse around here!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Dont bother. Some tard is going tell you right after my post that you should do it but I will tell you right now it wont help a bit. If you want you can take an intermediate or advanced course but MSF basically teaches you how to balance, use 60-40 braking (or 70 -30 depending on who you talk to), and how to use a clutch. Seriously, I would not waste your money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't listen to him ^^

I suggest everyone takes a MSF course because of how well they teach you how to react in certain situations. I've been riding dirtbikes my whole life and still learned a ton from them.

Full course and location listing at http://www.msf-usa.org

·
Testicular Fortitude
8,952 Posts
I've taken the beginners and the experts both really good classes. I might teach you how to use the clutch and all but it also helps you understand head turning looking through a turn. Don't listen to d-bags that tell you not to take it. A lot of very experienced riders will tell you to take it also.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The biggest thing for me was learning how NOT to panic in a situation where your normal reaction would be to grab a hand full of brake.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
i work at motorcycle safety for camp pendleton. i guarantee you the guys that recommend you dont take msf are generally the posers, the guys that think they are to cool. you may or may not get alot out of it but i assure you, that you will get something out of it. plus you get a break in your insurance so it's worth it. i don't know what its called in the civ world, but the MSRC (motorcycle sports rider course) is an awesome course for those that don't have much experince with sport bikes, or those that arent super comfortable with body position, and what not

·
Registered
231 Posts
You should take it. I learned a lot from it and I've ridden dirt bikes before getting a street bike.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going to have a look around to see whats offerd here, and how much it is. I know i well benifit from it in some way or another its like dirvers ed i knew how to drive a vechial and a lot of the common sense stuff and i knew a nice bit of handeling techniques but still i did benifit. I only did it so id have cheaper insurance and my license faster! however i agree with what buechelr said it might be a bit basic for me, im not saying i wouldnt learn from it please dont everybody start screaming at me telling me ima squid, im just saying i dont have a lot on money atm casue im still in school so if i can do i more advanced corse thats a little more focused on what i need to learn would be great! ive practiced e braking from about 100-110 km/h (60mph i think) and had one or to ocasions were i snuck up on one of my buddys going say 160km/h and had to break hard, the ass end was really shakey gave me quite a scare but onle had to slow down to about 90 so it wasnt too bad.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Saved my ass.
I have come across things on the freeway and had to go over it, the course taught me that, or braking on a hill and starting again taught me that, or even things you may know but never practice like emergency braking and evasive moves.
Better to have taken it and not needed it then laying up in a bed wondering if it would have helped

·
Registered
667 Posts
Dont bother. Some tard is going tell you right after my post that you should do it but I will tell you right now it wont help a bit. If you want you can take an intermediate or advanced course but MSF basically teaches you how to balance, use 60-40 braking (or 70 -30 depending on who you talk to), and how to use a clutch. Seriously, I would not waste your money.
Dude, WTF? Might as well tell him not to get any gear too. Waste of money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had been riding for 3 years and I decided to take it to finally get my license. I didn't think I would learn anything but I did. A lot. There were others taking the class who had been riding longer than me. I learned how to react properly to situation and not panic. It was well worth it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vince21, I was like you, dirtbikes when from when I was old enough to walk. Had been driving standards in the fields on the farm since I was just old enough to push a clutch. Anyway, as mentioned, there are parts of the Basic MSF course that are boring, but there are other parts which teach you really important skills. And you never know there might be some entertainment, like in our class the 70 year old lady, that had no clue, did everything wrong, and finally dumped the damn thing. The basic MSF course is worth every penny, and the few days you give up for it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
take it. there is a reason it is required here in texas to get your M endorsement

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vince21, I was like you, dirtbikes when from when I was old enough to walk. Had been driving standards in the fields on the farm since I was just old enough to push a clutch. Anyway, as mentioned, there are parts of the Basic MSF course that are boring, but there are other parts which teach you really important skills. And you never know there might be some entertainment, like in our class the 70 year old lady, that had no clue, did everything wrong, and finally dumped the damn thing. The basic MSF course is worth every penny, and the few days you give up for it.
:+1: i figured it would, like i said when i did drivers ed, went in thinking it would all be easy. it was easy but still learned a nice bit and defenatly benefitted from it!
theres a course offerd around here thats a weekend thing, not sure if its the MFS course but its basicy driving tru cones and stuff, plus a on road test and what not. i seen it set up in a local parking lot a few times. think its around 500 bux though:banghead: seems pretty expensive

1 - 20 of 29 Posts