Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I already took my MSF course a while ago but I remember they had a experienced rider course that was just one day like 5 hours long. Has anyone took this? I think I might take it, it's free for PA residents too so hey anything is beneficial, there is no such thing as too much practice when riding a motorcycle. If anyone took this experienced rider course I would like some of your personal feedback, is it a waste of time or should I go for it?

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would advise against it. From what I've heard it's a waste of time. The MSF is great for basics, but after that, it's more about seat time. Not to mention you'll likely be treated like some sort of smelly animal for riding a sport bike. Not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would advise against it. From what I've heard it's a waste of time. The MSF is great for basics, but after that, it's more about seat time. Not to mention you'll likely be treated like some sort of smelly animal for riding a sport bike. Not worth it IMO.

lol why does everyone HATE on sportbikes? Because I mean...Harleys are bullet proof right?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
xHECKSHERx,

Why don't you check Keith Code's California Superbike School? You'll get more out of it in 1 day (and get to ride a track) than you would a lot of places.

·
Registered
753 Posts
lol why does everyone HATE on sportbikes?
Because some of us give them reason to. Those among us who like to cruise 100+ on the highway, pull wheelies on public roads, and run from the cops don't exactly do wonders for our image.

·
Registered
783 Posts
How about the cruiser riders I see every single week stumbling out of the bars, drunk out of their freakin minds (not to mention the car/truck drivers) and taking off on to the roads?(I've seen cruiser riders lay their bikes over after taking the kickstand off and being helped up and along their way).
You seriously need to get a piece of ass, dude. Go find some happiness, you miserable old cynical man.
Either that or change your name to Buzz Killington.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about the cruiser riders I see every single week stumbling out of the bars, drunk out of their freakin minds (not to mention the car/truck drivers) and taking off on to the roads?(I've seen cruiser riders lay their bikes over after taking the kickstand off and being helped up and along their way).
You seriously need to get a piece of ass, dude. Go find some happiness, you miserable old cynical man.
Either that or change your name to Buzz Killington.
lol. agreed

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
if its free, id say you take it. judge it for yourself. you never what questions will be asked. and you could possibly learn something.

if it were me, i would. but only cause it gives me a day off and i get it for free. ;0)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was thinking the same thing slaps. You never know a definitive answer unless you try it for yourself. Plus its FREE! I'll be taking it next riding season though, due to the fact that there are no more classes scheduled for these upcoming months.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey everyone. I already took my MSF course a while ago but I remember they had a experienced rider course that was just one day like 5 hours long. Has anyone took this? I think I might take it, it's free for PA residents too so hey anything is beneficial, there is no such thing as too much practice when riding a motorcycle. If anyone took this experienced rider course I would like some of your personal feedback, is it a waste of time or should I go for it?

Thanks,
Ian
IMO I think you should take the experieced rider course. I am a firm believer in the MSF courses. I forget the exact statistic but it is 97%+ of all motorcycle accidents are by riders that are self taught or taught by a relative. It really depends on your mindset going in. I took my begineer MSF course within 3 weeks of when I started riding 10 years ago. I took the experience rider course 3-4 years ago after I had ridden 200,000+ miles on the street accident free. You practice basic concepts, but I thought it was very helpful to have a refresher after all those years to reinforce my good habits and tweak a couple bad habits I picked up.

What prompted me to go to the class is my cousin had started riding 6 months prior, and he refused to take the beginner MSF course because he didn't need the instruction. After he crashed twice in 6 months (both were easily aviodable) I made him set the date aside and told him I was taking him somewhere for his birthday. He wasn't real happy that morning when he found out it was an MSF class. He had a bad attitude and said it was boring and he didn't learn much. Since then he has crashed 2 more times, again neither were his fault, but they were actually easily avoidable.

He is just one example. I am a faster rider then he is on the street and track but I have ridden 10 years and over 300,000 miles without a single accident. I am a firm believer that the MSF training is the key component of my safe riding. I went in with an open mind wanted to learn. I picked up alot of good stuff and had fun, even though the riding drills are very basic.

For all of you that say the MSF is a waste of time, how much riding experience do you have (years/miles), how many times have you been in accidents? What were the circumstances?

·
Registered
753 Posts

I never said that's okay, nor will I ever... but let's pull our heads out of our asses and look at reality for a minute shall we? Those guys don't seem to get hassled nearly as much as we do. We can say that it's because everyone is out to get us and that there's nothing we can do about it, or we can assess the reality of the situation and look for reasons that we get treated this way.

Is it because our bikes are colorful? No, I've seen some pretty colorful custom cruisers out there.

Is it that our bikes can go fast? No, as I'm sure you've heard before, many Harley types pride themselves on doing engine work and they claim their bikes can go 120+.

Is it our loud pipes? Take one look at a Harley and you'll realize the answer is no.

Is it because we modify our bikes? No, Harleys do more of that I think.

Is it because we don't wear enough protective gear? No, the cruiser crowd wears even less.

Is it because we're young and the cruiser riders are all older? No, I've seen plenty of young guys on Harleys and the like.

Is it seating position? No, I think in the cruiser world, there's such a wide array of seating and grip positions that this wouldn't effect their view of us much.

Hmm... what could it be then? Could it be that the world is out to get us? No, I prefer to exist, think, and act in reality, and the reality is most of the population thinks that sport bikers are irresponsible with their bikes because a good portion of our crowd is. That's not me chastising you, or anyone else on this board, that's fact. They didn't wake up with this prejudice one day, we gave it to them, on a silver platter.

I get laid very often, I don't find happiness in ignoring or distorting reality (and therefore will find some when there is some to be found), and I'm not going to change my name to Buzz Killington. I haven't said anything against responsible riders, so in order for me to be killing someone's buzz, they'd have to feel bad about being irresponsible with their bike, and are getting brought to reality with the consequences of their riding is sobering... guilty concience perhaps? No, I do not wish to rain on anyone's parade, unless you misbehave with your bike in a manner that will give us a bad repuataion, and cause grief down the line for me.

[/threadjack]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts