Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was a fun, and tireing yet very educational three days. The instructors that I had were great. Both named Don so one was called TD for tall Don, the other was RD, short for round Don. It amazed me the variety of people taking the class. There were several women in thier mid forties, several couples, one in thier 60's another in thier early forties, a couple fellow rocket riders from Syracuse, a wide variety of people. Most had never ridden a bike before but were doing damned good by day three. Alot of that has to do with the skill of the instructors. RD had taught the course thousands of times for a lot of years. For a stereotypical harley guy, he was pretty cool. I took it in Cortland, NY (607)758-1111 if anyone in the area is interested.
Everyone passed the final written and skills test except for one of the mid forties women. It sucked too because she was by far the most improved of the weekend. She was very shakey at first but by the second day she was riding like a pro. I felt so bad for her because in the final skills test, the emergency braking test, she somehow lowsided the bike. I wasn't looking but heard the tell tale grinding noise. It landed on her leg and her ankle had a pretty nasty cut. No stitches needed or anything but it looked like it hurt. That sucks. :( She can retake that test within 30 days if she wants.
So in about a week, I'll finally be legally licensed. :razz: In NY you can take the MSF as a road test waiver and the local DMV skills tester hates sport bikkes from what I hear. I had my permit for aqbout a year but did not ride a single of the 2500 miles on the RR legally. I did pretty well on both tests. I only screwed up the figure 8 which I had mastered earlier because I somehow wound up in third gear going into it and had to manage the throttle to keep it from stalling through the first turn and downshift in the middle of the 8. All that hassle and I only crossed the line once by a few inches.
All in all, It was a good time and I would recommend it to everyone. I now see why you guys on this site recommend it so much. Thanx!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Smart man. MSF is definitely the way to go. I took it last April and it was the best $80 I ever spent. The lessons I learned definitely saved my ass at LEAST once and incorporated instincts into my skillset I would never have gotten on my own. Ride safe :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats!

·
Ducati Champion Del Mondo
7,847 Posts
I go on the 28th of this month, can't wait!

Jason

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nuton2wheels said:
I took it last April and it was the best $80 I ever spent.
Thanx all for the congrats!!

If NY would give a discount for the course I think a lot more people would be able to take it. I had to pay $325 for the course. That's a pretty good chunk of change to part with but worth every cent.

Keep your eyes out for some Kawasaki sponsored motorcycle show. It'll be on OLN at some point and a lot of NY stations. Don Titus, or RD is doing all of the safety skills demos in the show. I didn't get too many details but they were filming most of it thursday night after the class. The guy is good.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
WherzRoony,
I'm also taking the MSF in courtland for the 7,8,and 9th. Sunday is my last day. when did you take it? :bounce: They didn't let me take out the Kawasaki after they founf out that I had a 600RR :Machine Gun:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am also taking the msf course in mi, right now i had two class days and today was on the range. Tomorrow is the last day and then also get the dmv road test waved, so just have take written. Before this class only rode in a parking lot twice on my honda shadow 750 and am doing pretty good. Look forward to getting a 600rr in the fall or spring after i get more experince on my shadow. I also recomend this class to anyone with little or no experince. It was a lot of fun scrappin the pegs on the rebels. The class only cost $25 for me so it will be well worth it.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LonelyRR said:
WherzRoony,
I'm also taking the MSF in courtland for the 7,8,and 9th. Sunday is my last day. when did you take it? :bounce: They didn't let me take out the Kawasaki after they founf out that I had a 600RR :Machine Gun:
I took mine the 5-7th Wednsday through friday. They wanted me to use the Kawisaki crotch rocket but I insisted on the the cruiser style 250 because it would be easier in the slow tight stuff. Plus I wanted to try one out. How did you like RD, pretty funny guy. How did you make out.

I think I passed you on thursday coming back from the class through ithaca. I saw another stickerless yellow RR going up the hill on 13 leaving ithaca, I figured it was you. I was going down the hill. I was in my dodge dakota.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I took the course last summer here in Jersey and I loved it. I would definitely recommend everybody that rides take it, not only do you learn a ton, it is actually very fun (at least I thought so). We didn't have any choice on what type of bike to use though, they had the cruiser style 250's for everybody.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Those guy were cool. They made the class so much funner. RD was great, gotta love him. He made the learning fun. That was me on 13. Didn't i see you on your RR on 13 in ithaca? And were you with an Blue R6, I think? O-yeah where are you from in NY? We should get together for a ride. I'm so lonely riding by myself :cry:. I did pretty Good, 100 for the writting part and i got -4 points on e skills test. the point was for entering a turn to slow :roll:. and for slow breaking. He hardest part of the MSF was trying to learn the bike. I couldn't find the damn foot peg's.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LonelyRR said:
Those guy were cool. They made the class so much funner. RD was great, gotta love him. He made the learning fun. That was me on 13. Didn't i see you on your RR on 13 in ithaca? And were you with an Blue R6, I think? O-yeah where are you from in NY? We should get together for a ride. I'm so lonely riding by myself :cry:. I did pretty Good, 100 for the writting part and i got -4 points on e skills test. the point was for entering a turn to slow :roll:. and for slow breaking. He hardest part of the MSF was trying to learn the bike. I couldn't find the damn foot peg's.
Those GZ250's don't like to lean as easily as the RR. You had to gas it a bit to get it to lean. All fun though. I am actually thinking of picking one of those or something similar to that for the days when I'm just not in the mood for the RR, to tired, hungover etc... For under 3K new, It's not a bad deal. The bitch would be removing all of that gaudy f'ing chrome. I figure it can be stripped and powdercoated. It wasn't me you saw on the RR with the R6. I haven't had the RR up to ithaca yet. I've been avoiding long trips on the Bike untill I get my license finalized. It would be my luck that I would get my permit revoked right before I get the MSF paperwork and [email protected]#k up my license. I live about a half hour car trip south of Ithaca. Lockwood, NY on 34 past Spencer / Van Etten. Hell yeah on the ride, Once I get my license we'll have to do a loop around the lake or something. I'm hoping to get my paperwork from MANYS by friday and get to the DMV asap. I'll let you know how long it takes for the paperwork to show up.

Eric

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
WherzRoony,

I was think the same thing about getting one of those GZ250 I had so much fun one those. Did you drag the pegs one it? I did it everytime i lean. PM when you get your license finalized. I have a buddy that wants to go around the lake too.

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LonelyRR said:
WherzRoony,

I was think the same thing about getting one of those GZ250 I had so much fun one those. Did you drag the pegs one it? I did it everytime i lean. PM when you get your license finalized. I have a buddy that wants to go around the lake too.
I only hit with the pegs once or twice. I dragged my boots a few times. I was trying to avoid it. Yeah, I'll let you know on the paperwork and we can find a good weekend. I'm probably going to be busy as hell on weekends untill around june 1st . I'm building a toy box/garrage for my bike, etc...

Eric

Hey we ought to make it a figure 8 and go up and around senaca too. If we want to go all the way over to Waneta lake, (west of watkins glen about 10 miles) the parents have a cabin over there with a Jet Ski :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts