Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, well first of all, my girlfriend is always really worried about my safety when I'm riding. The other day I mentioned something about how I was listening to my music (with headphones in) while riding 30 mins to class. She got upset and told me she doesn't want me listening to music while I'm riding because she thinks it's "unsafe". What do you guys think? In your own opinion, is having headphones in while riding dangerous?

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
I am sure you will get the yay and the nays i am one of the nay votes
too many distractions on public roads as it is no need for extras

·
Registered
241 Posts
Depends, means your other senses have to be spiked up! (which they should be anyways riding in public roads). Always constantly checking around and getting a feel for your bike and how it's running too. But I do it all the time if it's more than a 15 min ride. Kind block out the wind noise. Plus florida is kind of flat and hard to find twisties..

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I used to ride with headphones all the time. However, that was years ago when there was a lot less traffic on the road. If you're riding out in the country then you're probably fine. But if you're riding in traffic I would not recommend using headphones. You need all of your senses to stay out of the hospital or morgue. Use ear plugs if you're not using headphones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ride with headphones, I don't see why not. It's not like you can hear much anyway over the sound of your engine and helmet... Only reason why it's unsafe is if you can't hear a cop or ambulence siren, but you can spot the lights though. I would be extra mindful of what's in your rearview, sometimes you can't hear someone speeding up behind you and if you slam on the brakes they may not stop in time. But I always look in the rearview whenever I brake.

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
i feel safer with music just because it keeps me from getting bored and falling asleep. also helps to block out some of the wind noise

·
Registered
241 Posts
NewRedRiders name is deceiving! You look at his join date and it's like back in 2004. I wasn't even of legal age yet!:crackup:
sorry just had to throw that out there..

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Is it more dangerous? Yes. it hinders your hearing. The amount of hearing taken away depends on how loud it is. Just dont zone out in a song.

Do i do it? Yes, i listen to music once im out of town.

If i didnt have ear buds in, id have ear plugs in. I dont blast music either.

But, when im in traffic, it goes off. (i have a shuffle clipped to my gloves)

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I used to listen to music anytime I was on the bike. As long as its not so loud you cant hear anything else you should be ok. Keep in mind though it is illegal in almost every state.

·
One Nut Racer
1,665 Posts
i listen to music all the time just dont have it cranked up you cant hear anything else.

you will get alot of yays or nays but it all comes down to the volume level.
there are radios in cars( you can crank up and hear nothing else)
there are radios on full dressed bikes ( you have to crank up to hear over wind noise and dumb harley pipes)
but it all comes down to volume level find a level you can still hear other sounds around you while your are riding

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah I gotta say I love riding with music, I have 2 sets of headphones, skullcandy 50/50's that I use for commuting which block out the wind noise since my helmet rf1100 is really noisy and skullcandy asyms for normal riding, which i can hear normal traffic noises, my friends talking to me at lights and so on..

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't listen to anything. Doesn't the exhaust note do it for you?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a the o'neal fasttrack tirade helmet with built in fm radio and Bluetooth.. I use it all the time.. you just need to be more careful and more aware of your surroundings.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't listen to anything. Doesn't the exhaust note do it for you?
:+1:

I don't listen to music regularly because, yes, I believe I am safer when I can hear whats around me (public roads that is). The only time I have my headphones in is for looong highway trips. Like someone else said, you can't really hear anything but the wind anyways, so whats the problem with choosing music instead?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I do find that some music forces me to go faster....
:+1: Most people have this issue, it got me a speeding ticket and a ticket for having the headphones in while riding.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts