Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must I change my exhaust gaskets every oil change? * K & N Oil Filter to the rescue *

I have a Arata full titanium exhaust and every time I do a oil change, I have to remove the whole header to get the oil filter off. Do those 4 gaskets need to be replaced every time the header is removed? Or should they be good for a few oil changes before installing the new ones. I figured I'd ask here due to more traffic and I'm dying to get the parts or slap it back together and ride! These oil changes are costing me a fortune with having to buy gaskets + shipping every time.

Thanks!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
You sure you need to take off the headers for the oil change? If the gaskets are metallic sheet gaskets I'd would replace them every oil change, there is a chance when reusing them that the exhaust can leak past the seal.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,850 Posts
Use an rc51 oil filter. It will clear the headers so you dont have to take them off

And no, you don't NEED to change them. Though it is recommended.

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Man what a suck ass situation you got on your hands labour , money , time I honestly can only suggest for you is trial & result I do not think you will get an exhaust leak right away from the first time you do an oil change & continue to use the old gaskets but with that being said I also do not know how many oil changes it will take where the exhaust gasket start leaking trial & result will be the only assurance of what will occur & when

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I mean, I don't mind the labor part. I love to clean up the exhaust, but yeah it sucks haha. What model year RC-51 oil filter would I need? I'll try to post up a picture of how much clearance I have with a Cbr filter. From what I can tell I only have 2-3cm of clearance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
2-3cm might be enough, its not like there is a lot of threads to require lots of clearance but I dont doubt it will be cramped. The k&n filter might make it a little easier with the nut on the top of it.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,850 Posts
Pretty sure they are all the same.. So 00-06. If not, use an sp1.. 00-01

I have a friend with an 03 600 with the full arata. He uses the 51 filter and never has to drop the exhaust

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
Back in the day I had a full Micron Exhaust on my 03 & I had the clearance issue as well the only filter that worked was the OEM filter

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be heading up to the motorcycle shop tomorrow to compare stock to rc51. Thanks! I hope it works! In the mean time, I'm ordering my gaskets lol

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
did you try a band wrench to loosen it? Or are you unable to remove it due to the headers being to close to the tip of the filter?

The exhaust gaskets can be used a few times, yust dab some exhaust paste around the exhaust on installation. The disadvantage is you need to clean it off each time you remove them again.
Although keep in mind that the gaskets are crush gaskets so they are 'meant' to be used only once

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I unscrew the filter it hits the header. I'm going to try the rc-51 filter and if that doesn't work I'll be buying $100 in exhaust gaskets to get free shipping from bike bandit. I'll give the exhaust paste a try too because I've noticed after torquing the exhaust to spec it can still be tightened a little more so it should be good for a few oil changes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rc-51 filter is exactly the same as the stock Cbr filter. Ughhhhhh off to order some gaskets. Lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not that I can't fit my hand in there, it's when I unscrew the filter it hits the header and won't come off. I just purchased a K&N. The dimensions are a inch shorter than the OEM Honda. I'm hoping it will work. I'm almost positive it will. I'll post my findings when It arrives.

·
Administrator
51,154 Posts
It's not that I can't fit my hand in there, it's when I unscrew the filter it hits the header and won't come off. I just purchased a K&N. The dimensions are a inch shorter than the OEM Honda. I'm hoping it will work. I'm almost positive it will. I'll post my findings when It arrives.

Hopefully it will work for you it did not work with my Micron Headers that I had on my 03 RR some 11 years ago

·
Registered
687 Posts
You would think the people designing the exhaust system would have taken oil changes into consideration when designing it, especially Arata.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts