Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure most of you know about my recent crash. when it happened i knew absolutely nothing about the laws regarding it, lawyers, and all the legal documents. this is what i have learned over the last week and what i wish i had known before the whole incident.

this applies whether you are driving a car or riding a bike, and it doesn't matter who is at fault either.

1) keep your mouth shut. anything you say at the scene of the accident can be brought up later.

2) keep your mouth shut. you do not have to make a statement to any insurance company. they will try to get you to say stuff on tape that nullifies any case you may have against them or their client.

3) do not sign anything without having at least 1 lawyer look over it first. the insurance company of the guy that hit me tried to give me $1400 to sign a document that basically said i would be responsible for any legal fees incurred by their client, the guy that hit me. they used all kinds of legal jargon and i had no idea that is what it actually said. luckily my wife was smart enough to tell me not to sign it and we got a lawyer.

4) get a lawyer!!! SOME of the insurance agents that deal with us get raises and bonuses based on how little they pay out. they will do ANYTHING to pay you diddly squat to advance their career.

that pretty much sums up the main points. a lawyer will take care of all the small stuff also so that helps big time.

be safe out their guys and hopefully you will never need to use this knowledge.

Luke

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
VERY VERY true, same thing happened to my step brother, he talked and got no payout. This is a must read for everyone.

Bump

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. Very true keepyour mouth shut at the scene of the accident.
2. Not true at all why if you have nothing to hide would you withhold info from an adjuster he is just doing his job
3.Some what true if you feel you need an attorney then do so but most insurance companys are not out to screw you.
4.ABSOLUTE LIE I am a claims rep for an insurance company and these lies are so rediculous we do not get raises bonuses and promotions based on screwing people out of money We just want to close files quickly this is what our bosses look at. How long a claim stays open.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get a policeman at the scene. They will proably issue a citation to whoever's apparent fault it is (i.e. if they had a stop, or yield, and you had right of way), and you can use that as leverage.

·
Registered
400 Posts
luckydevil,

What insurance carriers where you dealing with ? I've been through a few mishaps but never encountered such troubles as bribes, fine print contracts, nada...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll say what company i am dealing with once it is all over to give everyone a heads up on them. for now though it is probably best if i just keep my mouth shut.

bryman- i agree that probably not all insurance companies or agents are like the one that i have dealt with. also, prior to this incident i had no hard feelings for the insurance companies. i thought it was all about getting the bike fixed and medical bills paid like someone said above. the company i am dealing with went out of their way to try and **** me over in the interest of their client. i guess that is great if you are a customer of theirs, but if you are on the receiving end it isn't cool.

as for having a lawyer, i would say err on the side of caution and at least have a lawyer read anything before you sign it. you never know exactly what you are signing with all of the legal crap thrown into it.

i do believe the agent handling my case gets paid based on how little he pays out. that is the only explanation on why he would try to have me sign such a wacked out waiver of all my rights and absolve the insurance company and the person who hit me of all liability.

hyper- good point. if the on scene cop issues a ticket it will make everything much easier in the long run because it will be in writing who was at fault.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
my bike accident was my fault, and I kept the insurance company out of it and fixed the van out of my pocket--

I will say a good thing about ALFA here in Huntsville. I had an accident in my pathfinder-not my fault-and the person that hit me had ALFA. The rep called a couple days after the accident and asked if I had an estimate yet. I did, he came by my office checked out the damage and gave me a check for the exact amount on the spot. My estimate was from the dealer, so I know the estimate was not low. This accident happened on private property and I think they could have gotten out of paying if they wanted to. I was so impressed that I swithced from my old insurance company and still have ALFA to this day. (this happened about 3 years ago) They do not insure our bikes though :cry:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wait, so Lucky devil you don't even HEAR THAT agents get paid based on how much is paid out? You just made that BS up yourself right now?

I believe bryman, and I also have a friend in the insurance industry that I just talked to who said the same thing bryman did. Don't make up crap like that. If you have honestly have no idea what you're talkign about, then just keep quiet. Someone might read it and take it as fact.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hyper-
i wouldn't say that if i hadn't heard it from more than person in addition to my own personal experience. i'm sure not all insurance companies and agents are as bad as the ones i am dealing with. people need to be aware of the worst ones out there though so they don't get screwed.

you cannot tell me from a business standpoint that it does not make sense though, it makes perfect sense. reward the employees that cost your company the least amount of money.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I know both from the receiving and giving end how some insurance comes are good and some are bad. I have had 2 terrible experiences involving accidents that were not my fault and the other driver had Progressive. However, I have also had them as my own insurer and they were very good to me involving accidents. So, they basically look out for their clients, but screw everyone else IMO.
USAA, who I have used for years have by far been the best helping both their clients and others involved in accidents with their clients. I really can't say enough good things about this insurance company.
Great thread BTW for those that don't know what to do. I totally agree with having a lawyer read over things before signing it. I'm not saying you always have to hire one, but plenty of lawyers will be happy to read over things for you and explain them.

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
I didn't read the rest of the thread, because everyone already knows that I suggested a lawyer from the very start...

But I wanted to clarify something for everyone-- accidents are VERY different when someone gets hurt. Your liability isn't fixed. You don't know how much you have to pay out. If you hit someone and injure them...you could theoretically continue to pay through the nose for the rest of your life. Getting a lawyer to defend you is a good idea.

Additionally, if YOU are injured, you won't get squat from anybody without taking the bull by the horns and demanding it...and nobody things you are serious until you get a lawyer.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mods, why don't we put this up in the FAQ section. We will all eventually get into some type of accident. I think this would help everyone. Although a little late about keep your mouth shut after the fact, as most people will be looking for this subject after getting into an accident. But it would help with the legal part.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Now that I am away from work I will let y'all in on the insurance biz. After an accident happens like in this case when your not at fault your file will be handed to a claims rep and its his/her baby. At this point the rep should contact his insured to get the first "story" its always told as if it werent his fault but in any case there are certain rules we go by and if he pulle dout in front of you, well anyway, now we should contact you to get your story and set up a time to look at your property if its in your possesion. If you tell me now that your getting an attorney than its no longer my baby I pass the file on up. If you decide to speak with me we wil go over the accident in your words. I cannot deny your claim if we pulled out in front of you!!!! Secondly, Property damage I will repair your property or buy it AT NADA values. Heres where it gets complicated Thirdly, Bodily injury if you have a few scratches the company standards is generally a thousand dollars sign this and we are done. If you hire an attorney this is where he gets his money he will claim this for you take thirty percent and be done. If you work directly with me you get the whole grand. The claims managers look at files that have been open a long time and this is where a rep is judged at. OH and by the way I will be taking a promotion to claims manager with my company Nov 1st. And I cant tell you all which one I work for. But were number one in motorcycle insurance. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts