Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The BAS is jumped. I get 12 volts at the fuel pump plug for a few seconds when I turn on the switch, but no prime. Can I run jumper wires straight from battery to pump to verify it's bad? The zenner diode has me a bit confused. I need to call woodcraft and verify this key switch eliminator harness steps the voltage down for the ECU. Who's our electrical experts here?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have bad news. Just did a compression test. 120,120,120,150. That changes my plans for sure, to what, I have no idea yet.

I also disconnected the tank and pulled the pump. The tank is full of rust. One thing I didn't check when I bought it. Just totally slipped my mind to open it and look in. No wonder the pump is shot.

I don't know whether to find an engine, and tank, and all the other stuff this bike needs, or yank this engine and rebuild it. Or part this bike and start over. Or find another wrecked donor parts bike.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
After some thought and talking to a few racers and mechanics, I'm going to keep going here. With really nothing to lose, I will still fire this motor up. I ordered a new fuel pump last night and will be dropping this tank off to be refurbished today. Easier than locating a new tank.

My hope is the piston rings and or cylinder walls have some scale or corrosion from prolonged improper storage. And with a little run time, will reseat and the compression numbers will come up. I will at least run this engine before I pull it out of the frame. The general consensus was those numbers don't necessarily indicate a faulty head gasket.

I was missing the rad fan and coolant overflow bottle so those have been ordered also. Today I need to order all the associated mounting hardware for those.

Edit - just found an 04 tank in clean condition cheaper than the shop can refurb this tank. Ordered.

Now we wait.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Waiting on parts sucks. I have PAIR block offs, clean fuel tank, clean fuel pump, rad fan, and coolant overflow bottle on order as well as a bunch of OEM hardware that was missing. I'm sure I'll find more along the way. Hopefully everything arrives this week and I can start the bike this weekend.

I'm thinking about an 07 front end conversion. I need to do some research first but that's the direction I may go with this bike. I'll be lurking in the suspension forums for some answers to a few questions I have.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
The only benefit to the 07+ front end over the 05-06 inverted forks is the availability of aftermarket cartridges. If you plan to stay stock internals, I would go with whichever is cheaper. If you plan to upgrade down the line, go with the 07+.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yep I want to probably install traxxion dynamics AK20 carts and do the Penske triple clicker in the rear. I just ordered a set of forks and triples. Found a good price on eBay. Made a lowball offer and one counteroffer later, I feel good about the purchase. Need to scoop up calipers. I'll do an accosato or brembo master and braided lines. I'm not too worried about the engine now. If it runs right, it runs right. If not, I'll address that situation after I know further. I'll keep on with the rolling chassis while I wait.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
It looks like I won't be able to mount my Scott's damper on the 07 top triple though. I don't see a mount kit on their site. I know the 07's came with a factory steering damper. You guys running any aftermarket dampers?

Just got off the phone with scotts. They sent me an email with info on a custom mount kit, or I can send my top triple in and they can fab something up for me. I'll check it out and go from there.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
The only benefit to the 07+ front end over the 05-06 inverted forks is the availability of aftermarket cartridges. If you plan to stay stock internals, I would go with whichever is cheaper. If you plan to upgrade down the line, go with the 07+.
um i dont think 05-06 are inverted.. youre thinking about 03-04.. 06 has all the same carthages except the 30mm ohlins. the only reason i went to 07+ is to fit my red and white wheels and i already had ohlins fork from my 09. other than that its a pricey swap for oem forks and everything its well over 1k. basically 500 for forks 300 for wheel around 200 for triples about 200 for clipons with the levers and mechanics on them and so on i thought it was a cheaper but then you realize you need small **** to make it all work and ends up adding up. thats why i decided to sell mine as the whole set.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
It looks like I won't be able to mount my Scott's damper on the 07 top triple though. I don't see a mount kit on their site. I know the 07's came with a factory steering damper. You guys running any aftermarket dampers?

Just got off the phone with scotts. They sent me an email with info on a custom mount kit, or I can send my top triple in and they can fab something up for me. I'll check it out and go from there.
Um you can do what im doing. Well im not sure if the 03 is the same as 06 but im using the mounting thingy that mounts to the frame from the 06 model and the mounting bracket for the 07 lol not sure how its gna turn out but i can let u know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
um i dont think 05-06 are inverted.. youre thinking about 03-04.. 06 has all the same carthages except the 30mm ohlins. the only reason i went to 07+ is to fit my red and white wheels and i already had ohlins fork from my 09. other than that its a pricey swap for oem forks and everything its well over 1k. basically 500 for forks 300 for wheel around 200 for triples about 200 for clipons with the levers and mechanics on them and so on i thought it was a cheaper but then you realize you need small **** to make it all work and ends up adding up. thats why i decided to sell mine as the whole set.
03-04 are convential forks, the 05+ are inverted (upside down) forks.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
This..........

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,726 Posts
i guess im the :retard::crackup:i always thought it was the other way since it seems like all the bikes have inverted so it seemed like the normal ones lol

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Seksas, what damper do you have? There's no mount kit for a Scott's.

21 - 40 of 244 Posts