Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:icon_lol:
Ok so check it, my first trackday is at ButtonWillow on Dec 7th. I wanted to ask everyone who does trackdays advice...what to bring? what to really pay attention on, big tips...any input would be appriciated!! Ill bring pictures upon my return.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Never been there so the list varies from one track to another but here is my checklist for Jennings.

But I forgot to add the kitchen sink... You can just write it in! ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Are you going with someone that has trackday experience?
That is the easiest way. However, there's not too much to it.

Bring:
Fuel
Tire gauge
Any tools that you have for an unfortunate repair
Food and Drink
A Chair to sit in

Don't crash! You're there to have fun, not to become a Moto GP racer overnight. Most people don't even drag knee on their first track day. Get a feel of braking and setting up for the turns. It's a blast.

Go this weekend and watch. Some friends and I will be there tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys...all helpful fo sho...and ya im going with a group of guys that have all been to the track before except me...im stoked, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
^Uh oh..... Don't try and keep up with them. Ride your own ride at your own pace. Although these words make sense to you now, you can easily get sucked in because your bros have more experience and will make it look a lot easier than it is.

Please go easy brother.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Hell yea Rayzor!

Forget that anyone else is even out there! Ignore EVERYONE! Even if you are coming up on a slower rider, or if a faster rider is coming up on you. Ignore them!

You pay attention to the track AHEAD not on the rider you are going to pass!

And let the faster rider worry about getting around you safely. You hold your line as if he wasn't there!

Have a blast man! Post up when you get back!!!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Oh and get as much time with a CONTROL RIDER as you can! Ask lots of questions!!! Ask, why! When! Where!

Make sure you understand what they are saying or ask again! Get the most of it!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for sure...thanks for the advice guys. story and pics after the 7th

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
. Most people don't even drag knee on their first track day.

most people wont touch a knee the 8th or 9th time they go out.
i know a lot that are in group A and have never touched a knee. its not a right of passage or measure of skill. it is a measure of lean angle. just remember that and dont worry about the asshats around you that get so worked around the axle about touching a knee that they crash. you will see them. they will be the ones whose position sucks horribly and will be stretching with their leg trying to get it out that last inch or so.

just ride and remember slow in fast out. most crashes ocurr because of too much corner entry speed. start very comfortable and at each marker try a little more speed each time. before you know it, you will be outrunning and outcornering all the wanna bes out there and wont even realize it.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
i know a lot that are in group A and have never touched a knee. its not a right of passage or measure of skill. it is a measure of lean angle. just remember that and dont worry about the asshats around you that get so worked around the axle about touching a knee that they crash. you will see them. they will be the ones whose position sucks horribly and will be stretching with their leg trying to get it out that last inch or so.

just ride and remember slow in fast out. most crashes ocurr because of too much corner entry speed. start very comfortable and at each marker try a little more speed each time. before you know it, you will be outrunning and outcornering all the wanna bes out there and wont even realize it.
+111!!!! Read ever word of that!!!

I can attest to that! I run in the A group and usually am NOT draggin a knee! In fact I hardly EVER do!

It's funny to, I do trackdays with friends and we always make jokes because I'll be getting video of them with their knee on the ground and mine isn't even close. Yet they wonder why I can pass them on the outside!?!?

I know when my knee is on the ground my lean angle and corner speed are about to my max (at least that I feel comfortable with) therefor I obviously can't go any faster. But if you aren't "trying" to get your knee down you can really tell how much room you have and how much faster you can go!

The only thing I don't like about the fact that I rarely drag a knee is that it seems like I NEVER get any pictures with the knee on the ground... I think I have ONE!

LOL

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Just went to my first Cali track day. All the corners are banked? I'm used to midwest tracks and almost al the turns are flat. A lot easier to drag knee there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Which direction is the track going that day? If you're going counter-clockwise be careful on the Star Mazda - it decreases like a mofo. Also, just believe that the track is still there over the lost hill turn #6 I believe. I have seen people go end over end because they freak and grab the front brake. Dont go in too hot before the grapevine because there is a dip in the track and be careful in the cotton corners not to lowside with the elevation changes! I'll add more later. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
i know a lot that are in group A and have never touched a knee.
I've got four track days under my leathers & my pucks are still
scratch free. It will happen when it happens.

P.S. We all know Niner1000rr is the person to mooch off of in the
paddock thanks to his Track Day List.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
LOL

That's honestly how it works... Half the stuff I bring I don't use but everyone else does!

Unless I see some clown that you can see he intentional didn't bring stuff just cause he thought he could mooch!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone thanks!! I cant wait to get out there. All the tips and help are really appriciated.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to see you getting out there, Miles. Everything changes on the track...have a great time!

If you need tools and stuff, hit me up.
Hey man, I might hit you up for the tools (the basic stuff)! Thanks! Hows everything with you man? Havn't heard from u in the days...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Definately an Easy-Up canopy too. Lots and lots of water to drink. Also depending on the temp, UnderArmour...sweaty leather is never fun lol. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

I will warn you though, there is a very high chance that after track days, street riding will no longer be any fun lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.