Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,

In late November I purchased black CBR600RR with 17K+ miles on it and it was parked until now. I have zero bike experience. So since it's getting warmer I recently got an owner's manual and decided to learn about this bike.

Currently it's a bit far from perfect shape, it's missing rear turn signals and rear light, rear tail light doesn't work 100% and front tail lights are LED and doesn't work good. My plan is to replace front turn signals with OEM ones and simply reconstruct rear turn signals, rear light and tail light. After that I'm going to take it to my local mechanic for inspection and 16K miles maintenance procedure. I'm going to order lights soon and I hope to receive it within a week. I plan to start with rear lights first and then do front turn signals. Also exhaust seems to be a bit loud which may make my neighbors nervous! :D

I made this small video today so you may see the current state of my bike:

I hope it's just the beginning!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I removed the REAR COWL and found that harness underneath it was a total mess. And something tells me I'll need a new wire harness... At some point harness shell ends and there are 4 cables coming out of it:

First is cut...

Second goes to turn signals and ends there somewhere coz there are no turn signals.

Third splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another goes to some sort of resistor and then goes to tail light).

Forth in black shell also splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another is soldered to the same resistor).

P.S.: Tail Light is not OEM. There is only single word on it "DOT". No part numbers, no Honda logo etc.

Initially I was thinking to buy just rear lights and turn signals plus some mounting stuff, reflectors, screws etc. But at this moment I'm not sure if I also need a wire harness. Because I simply don't know if it's in good condition or not.

I'll upload more pics later tonight. It's a bit frustrating, but I still feel that it's a challenge for me.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Today I removed the REAR COWL and found that harness underneath it was a total mess. And something tells me I'll need a new wire harness... At some point harness shell ends and there are 4 cables coming out of it:

First is cut...

Second goes to turn signals and ends there somewhere coz there are no turn signals.

Third splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another goes to some sort of resistor and then goes to tail light).

Forth in black shell also splits into two cables (one goes straight to tail light, another is soldered to the same resistor).

P.S.: Tail Light is not OEM. There is only single word on it "DOT". No part numbers, no Honda logo etc.

Initially I was thinking to buy just rear lights and turn signals plus some mounting stuff, reflectors, screws etc. But at this moment I'm not sure if I also need a wire harness. Because I simply don't know if it's in good condition or not.

I'll upload more pics later tonight. It's a bit frustrating, but I still feel that it's a challenge for me.
Yes I purchased my 2005 used, and it was obviously a squid bike, hacked and slashed every end of all the harnesses! That was first order of business for me, to repair the harness and get some functioning lights on there.
Squids think no safety lighting is a good thing.
I removed almost a shoebox full of: tape, butt connectors, resistors, ScotchLoks, flush mounts, etc.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I purchased my 2005 used, and it was obviously a squid bike, hacked and slashed every end of all the harnesses! That was first order of business for me, to repair the harness and get some functioning lights on there.
I removed almost a shoebox full of: tape, butt connectors, resistors, ScotchLoks, flush mounts, etc.

I feel you. I'm just in the beginning of this process.

-----

So here are few pics:

As you can see:

1) Wire which comes out of blue connector is cut. Don't know where that wire was supposed to be connected.
2) Wire which comes out of white connector goes somewhere to where turn signals are "supposed" to be. And I'm not sure but I think it's cut there too.
3) Wire which comes out of orange connector is split and eventually goes into tail light.
4) Wire in a black shell also weirdly splits and eventually goes into tail light.

Question here: Do I need a new wire harness? I guess these 3 connectors can be disconnected and new OEM turn signals and lights can be connected to it. But what's the purpose of that wire in a black shell and can I fix it - I just don't know.

I see they sell harness on eBay for $75, but it seems the end of it is a mess too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-05-HONDA-CBR600RR-CBR600-CBR-600RR-600-WIRE-HARNESS/232721547927?hash=item362f490297:g:BvgAAOSw7RdZxWk6&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true

The are listing for $150-200 but it seems I could better get a new one for $300 and be safe.

And I even haven't inspected the front "flush" LED turn signals which don't work properly. But I expect to see another mess there...

What do you think guys?

·
Registered
382 Posts

I never owned a 2005! Wasn't me 0:)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hello folks,

In late November I purchased black CBR600RR with 17K+ miles on it and it was parked until now. I have zero bike experience. So since it's getting warmer I recently got an owner's manual and decided to learn about this bike.

Currently it's a bit far from perfect shape, it's missing rear turn signals and rear light, rear tail light doesn't work 100% and front tail lights are LED and doesn't work good. My plan is to replace front turn signals with OEM ones and simply reconstruct rear turn signals, rear light and tail light. After that I'm going to take it to my local mechanic for inspection and 16K miles maintenance procedure. I'm going to order lights soon and I hope to receive it within a week. I plan to start with rear lights first and then do front turn signals. Also exhaust seems to be a bit loud which may make my neighbors nervous! :D

I made this small video today so you may see the current state of my bike:

I hope it's just the beginning!
Gotta say watching you duck walk your bike for an eternity was painful. Learn to walk the bike while you stand to the side of it. Will help a lot when you get stranded somewhere and have to walk it uphill. :wink2:

Other than that, the bike looks pretty good to me. Sounds great, although I bet the AFR is outta wack. After you get some miles on it, you'll appreciate the sound even more. As far as the lights, sounds like some bad connections. Pretty easy to check. Pick up a service manual, or wiring diagram, and a multi-meter. That will help you a lot.

Your kickstand is too short. Buy a new oem one, you absolutely have to if you ever wish to ride around without that 2x4 stuffed in a backpack. :grin2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully I will remove the lower cowl today and inspect the harness around turn signals. If it's bad and messed up I'll order a new harness.

Honestly I thought there only one kickstand. Now I see there maybe a short one available too. I'll order it soon.

Quick question. When I write wire harness I mean this item:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2005/cbr600rr-a/wire-harness

Item # 32100-MEE-A00.

Is it the one I need, right? I don't see any other harness there besides Sub Harness (https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2005/cbr600rr-a/sub-harness) but I don't know the purpose of sub harness. Just want to make sure I'm ordering a correct product.

Also I tried to search for 32100-MEE-A00 and it seems partszilla is the cheapest place for a new harness. Not sure if I should buy one on eBay...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Likely you shouldn't be buying a new harness at all. I believe it's best for you to learn how to wire such things. Youtube is a great teacher.

Pretty easy to check. Pick up a service manual, or wiring diagram, and a multi-meter.
This is where you want to start though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Likely you shouldn't be buying a new harness at all. I believe it's best for you to learn how to wire such things. Youtube is a great teacher.

This is where you want to start though.
That is a good idea. I rebuilt mine, did it right with good wire, solder, and heat shrink. Put the money towards a new integrated taillight, new OEM style front turn signals, a new automatic flasher relay, and some LEDs for the passenger pegs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, please suggest a website to buy an official Service Manual for 2005 CBR600RR in PDF format. Actually I have a scanned copy and it's not possible to search in that document. I'd like to buy a Honda Service Manual. A while ago I got one for my Odyssey. It's official Honda Service Manual in PDF. You can perform a search there.

What do you think about this website?

https://www.repairmanuals.co/products/honda-motorcycle-repair-service-manual-choose-your-motorcycle-instant-access?cmp_id=606670707&adg_id=29515400775&kwd=&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDVJjwUvgdCGXJm7LQ_I_H_po4SKSBfJunZd3y-2XKVW5Zd-Qv4hWVBoCAlgQAvD_BwE

They claim that you can get PDF though I don't know if it's official Honda document or some third party manual.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just looked through my scanned manual and I didn't see any repair instructions there. I guess I need a repair manual rather than just a service manual.

I will appreciate any tips regarding where I could buy it in PDF format.

P.S.: I just found my Odyssey repair manual - it's a 7600 (!!!) page document. It's huge...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I asked RepairManuals.co regarding their manual:

is it OEM Honda service manual or it was created by some third party?
And here is their answer:

Yes it is OEM. I am unable to sent the table of contents as we buy direct from our supplier and send onto you the link, so I do not have access. But I assure you, there will be no issues.
I also asked if it's a set of scanned pages or a real PDF document where you can perform search. I'll wait for their reply and post it here. I hope they are not reselling same "manual" which everyone has already...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just pulled a trigger and purchased that manual on repairmanuals.co website.

Don't do this! Don't use that service.

They literally sell you a SCANNED copy of a 61MEE03 book which is 2003-2006 Honda CBR600RR Motorcycle Service Manual. The one with a black cover with gears and red word Honda and red Honda logo on it. What a scam...

So at this moment I'm afraid there is no manual in electronic format.

Anyway I'm going to proceed with removing fairings (cowls) and inspecting front turn signals.

I'd like to fix my wire harness, but I guess my soldering skills are pretty poor to guarantee everything will be as good as OEM. On the other hand it seems that replacing a wire harness is a nightmare for a guy like me since it's like a circulatory system with many connections etc. Replacing it will definitely be a pain. Or a challenge. Or both...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just received a full refund from repairmanuals.co. At least they didn't hide after received payment.

Spring is finally coming to Delaware and I hope to proceed with removing fairings soon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Google hynes 2005 cbr600rr service manual or Clymer 2005 cbr600rr service manual. Try contacting Honda directly, or contact your local Honda dealer.

Or ... just ride the bike to a mechanic. You'll be fine, use your hand signals. You're not going to get arrested, lol, and you'll probably just get a warning or worse case is a fix it ticket which would be dismissed once you fix your signals and show the police.

Or rent a UHaul, and truck the bike to a mechanic, or call a tow company. You're going to be spending money no matter what if you want those signals fixed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
All those things you said you wanted to have a mechanic do, you can do yourself.

Engine oil/filter = very easy
Flush/bleed brakes = moderately easy
Spark plugs = slight PITA but also not difficult really

Oh and you might as well throw some fresh coolant in there as well!

Nice bike though, looks clean actually. I have an 03 in yellow, you will love your 05.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts