Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a bike that ran when i got it, but it was vandalized and had the windscreen busted out and the run switch broken. After I took all the plastic off to be painted and replaced my run switch with a new one, the bike wont run. My gauge reads 7 miles an hour and my oil light blinks and my fi lights stays lit. When I turn the key on the fel pump doesnt prime but it work when I hit the starter bc it will fire and stay running as long as I hold the start switch, it revs and acts just like a normal bike but as soon as I let off the start switch it dies. Some things I've already checked are the bank angle sensor, I checked for loose grounds, and I've checked fuses and relays. Does anyone have an idea on what could be wrong?

D

·
0 Posts
Recheck everything you did with the starter switch. To me, it sounds like the key is acting like the starter switch, and the start switch is the ignition.

What year bike?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 03 cbr600RR, the switch I put on had 1 big plug and two smaller ones that plugged into the brake lever, and we've checked those multiple times and it all seems right.

D

·
0 Posts
I'll have to think on this some. That's an odd situation your bike is in.

D

·
0 Posts
Have you checked your idle adjustment and made sure it isn't turned all the way counter-clockwise?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, everyone I know thaat knows stuff about bikes can't think of it either, but any help is appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
Have you gone over the ignition switch with a fine tooth comb and checked that it and all of the wires are intact and were not damaged?

Check your 30A main fuse and try swapping the starter relay with one of the other relays on your bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the chances of the brand new switch I bought being falutly, bc when I push the starter switch in about 3/4 of the way in the spedometer fixes itself back to 0, and the fuel pump primes then I press the it the rest of the way and it fires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
when u checked the bank angle sensor did you just look at it or acually check to see if everything was conecting properly, and is it faced the up the right way? had the same probablem with one of my old 03's and trying to start it without the plastics usually is angle sensor just being tweeked a little and if your main fuse or starter rellay was bad you bike wouldnt even try to turn over or turn ur gauge on

D

·
0 Posts
I doubt it's the switch. Might also be worth it to check the wiring for the headlights. It sounds like a ground issue. Did your turn signal/horn/high beam cluster get damaged any?

D

·
0 Posts
when u checked the bank angle sensor did you just look at it or acually check to see if everything was conecting properly, and is it faced the up the right way? had the same probablem with one of my old 03's and trying to start it without the plastics usually is angle sensor just being tweeked a little and if your main fuse or starter rellay was bad you bike wouldnt even try to turn over or turn ur gauge on
If the problem was with the BAS, the bike wouldn't even start.

But grounding problems can happen with the main fuse and starter relay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I actually unbolted the sensor and held it up in my hand, and I kept the bike running by holding in the switch, then turned the sensor over to where it would kill it to make sure it was working properly.

D

·
0 Posts
Ok, so the fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the ignition on at all, but dos it prime and run when you push the starter switch in?

I have an idea, just want to make sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so the fuel pump doesn't prime when you turn the ignition on at all, but dos it prime and run when you push the starter switch in?

I have an idea, just want to make sure.
Yes thats correct, and it will stay running as long as I hold the switch but I don't want to burn my starter up.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
wonder if your switch mechanisim is failing, like mine did a few weeks ago :/

D

·
0 Posts
Try removing your headlight relay, then turning the bike on and starting it. That will hopefully help narrow down to where the problem is.

D

·
0 Posts
Wow, you work fast.

Damn. Now I'm really confused. If this doesn't get it, I'm at a total loss. Keeping the headlight relay unplugged, but also unplug the tail light and rear turn signals. Then go back through the process of starting the bike.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts