Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just put the tank back on and it won't start! I'm not sure what couyld be wrong but I will give you guys a list to see if you can trouble shoot for me.

I took the old tank off about 2 weeks ago

I just put on a "new to me" tank

I removed my pairs

Changed throttle cables

I think thats about it. I had the entire air box off along with the tank so I know it could be a number of things. I put a decent amount of gas in the tank but the tank light is still flashing empty.

I hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance

MAINE!

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
hmmm ok..
i am gonna give you a list of think you can check.

1. Fuel level sensor / check the wires
2. Air Flow sensor / check the wires ( I think this is the most likely one, without any air data input i dont think the bike will start)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BUMP! No other ideas guys? I don't want to have to take it to the stealer ship for something small that I just over looked...

D

·
0 Posts
Does the bike power up when you turn the key? Fuel pump prime or no? Does the bike crank?

There's too much stuff to list so lets try and narrow it down first.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
sounds like a wire but D's right. there are many reasons a bike won't start. We'll need a few more details to give any advice

Check the wires and if that doesn't fix it, get back on here and let us know

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does prime. It does all the usual stuff it would would when you turn the key. When you puch the starter it sounds just as strong as usual, it just doesn't crank. I looked over the wires and they all looked fine.

I'm pretty sure it has somethign to do with the fuel. Is theres something that I should have done when I put the new tank off? Or is there a way for me to get fuel back in the lines?(the tank is still reading empty.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Dumb question: Is the kill switch engaged? Since you put on new cables, maybe it isn't working properly.

D

·
0 Posts
It does prime. It does all the usual stuff it would would when you turn the key. When you puch the starter it sounds just as strong as usual, it just doesn't crank. I looked over the wires and they all looked fine.

I'm pretty sure it has somethign to do with the fuel. Is theres something that I should have done when I put the new tank off? Or is there a way for me to get fuel back in the lines?(the tank is still reading empty.
If it doesn't crank it wont be a fuel issue.
From the things you've done, you have had the following disconnected:
Fuel pump (Primes, so this isn't the issue)
Upper injectors (Would still start even if damaged/disconnected)
MAP sensor (Would still start even if damaged/disconnected)
PAIR (Has no effect on the bike running)
IAT (Would still start even if damaged/disconnected)
ECU
IACV (Would still crank if damaged/disconnected)
Knock sensor (Would still start even if damaged/disconnected)
TP sensor
Lower injectors (Would still crank if damaged/disconnected)
CKP

No error codes are showing on the FI?
ECU, CKP or TP is all I can think of that could leave everything normal yet not crank, even though I think the TP sensor wont prevent it from cranking, same with the CKP.

Though, with everything else working as normal, I'd think the ECU is fine.

I'd start by checking the starter relay and starter motor. Check the connection to the battery and the 30A fuse. Also check pin 27 on the ECU for damage as well as the wire (It will be a green/red wire) on the plug. It'll be the grey plug. That's the only wire that connects the ECU to the starter. Other 3 wires are the go to the rectifier (red wire), starter switch (red wire), and the kill switch (yellow wire).
Dumb question: Is the kill switch engaged? Since you put on new cables, maybe it isn't working properly.
The pump wouldn't prime if the kill switch was on.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, I just remebered I removed my kickstand and my rear brake light cable, but I doubt any of those things will have anything to do with it.

I still do understand why the fuel gauge is flashing when the tank is almost half full.

I'm just gonna look over everything again once I get home and see if I can't find what it is. If not, to the shop it is...

D

·
0 Posts
Did you bypass the kickstand sensor? Try putting the bike in Neutral and starting it.

Make sure the tank is fully plugged in if there's fuel in there and the reserve is flashing.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It does prime. It does all the usual stuff it would would when you turn the key. When you puch the starter it sounds just as strong as usual, it just doesn't crank.
I think what you mean is that when you push the starter button, it cranks...meaning that the starter is working and spinning the engine but it doesn't fire.

Not cranking and not firing are 2 very different things to troubleshoot.

Let us know if I'm right or wrong with what I just said.

·
Registered
186 Posts

check the fuel pump wire located under the pump, also check that kick stand wire as well but if that doesn't help give us a list off all you have done

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do I have to do to bypass the kickstand sensor? I just removed the plug, do I have to do more than that?

D

·
0 Posts
What do I have to do to bypass the kickstand sensor? I just removed the plug, do I have to do more than that?
Removing the plug is like having the kickstand down. Here's how MXRider does it so that you can still get the bike into diagnostic mode.

D

·
0 Posts
If the plug is disconnected, 100% positive that's the issue. It's always the small things that cause problems, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts