Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my bike on tuesday and i've been riding everyday since i got my bike. But i guess i over did it today. I was taking an freeway inter change ramp that turned right that was two lanes wide. I was in the right lane and about 4 car lengths of the car in front of me. All of a sudden the car in front of me slams on his brakes and at the same time a car on the left of me (in the left lane) cuts me off at which point i became 3 ft away from the car that cut me off. i tried to swerve into the outer left lane to avoid contact and ended up lowsiding my bike on the right side. Took a couple stumbles, and rolls and ended up in the bushes about 20 ft away from my baby. I'm soo sad this is my frist wreck. I was traveling about 40 to 45mph when i last checked both cars took off and i was on the side of the highway. scraped up my knee and got stitches at the ER.

Anyway I want to ask for advice. I only have liability with uninsured motorist and $1000 medical. The CHP told me that i was involved in a no - contact hit and run accident and because of the car cutting me off too soon it caused me to go down. I read my insurance policy and it stated that uninsured motorist coverage also covers hit and run accidents. I'm not sure if it will cover my no contact hit and run. Is anyone familiar with this? I live in the state of CA.

and i would also like to add thank God for my helmet astar stunt jacket astar gloves and i guess somewhat jeans even tho i had to get stitches. i checked out my gear when i got home and i found a blow to the helmet, rashes all over the jacket, and my nuckles on my astar gp pros broke off.

also how much would it approximately cost to fix my bike on my own w/o labor? i'll try to post up pictures soon but from wat i could see were right lower,mid, upperfairing were damaged, brake lever and rear brake sets broke off, side mirror on right side, front end, gas tank cover, possibly tail. well it's hard to tell but i'll try to post pictures.

any advice would mean a lot to me thanks guys!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey man, sorry to hear about the crash. Believe it or not I actually miss the crazy a#$hole drivers in LA. Out here in Vegas it's ALOT worse :(

I'm not positive but I don't believe your insurance will cover the bike damage. I think uninsured moto coverage only covers you if you have collision insurance - Atleast that's what my ins co. said (I have Foremost.)

Goodluck bro!

·
Registered
311 Posts
that sucks man sorry to hear. well first of all finding used blue plastic is like finding gold. so expect to pay oem prices for new fairings or you can repaint others. If you just lowsided it i dont think you neccesarily hurt your front end.. teh little parts arent bad like a mirror is 15-25 bux depending on seller. ebay is your best friend right now start looking..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I repaired mine that had:

Front cowling
Left Mirror
Left Mid
Left Lower
Shift Linkage
Stator Cover
Tail Section

and other small misc nuts/bolts....

All for $1450 shipped from Ron Ayers... OEM plastic, painted, decals, ready to bolt on...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So i just got done bringing my bike back home... the damages were more than wat i expected... dented frame, possibly bent subframe, and everything else you see... i got a quicky estimate and it came to be around 3500 but im not sure... ill check with ebay and try to fix watever i can myself thanks guys... lesson learned today don't try to overkill the fun of riding i hope to ride soon!!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Sorry to hear about you going down, but good to see you're still with us to post about it.
Living in CA, expect the worse out of these drivers.
The DMV just hands out licenses to anyone here and most aren't even licensed that are on the road.
Earlier today I rode for like 10 minutes to warm up my chain to clean it and saw 2 people in a car drinking Corona's at the light...:dontknow:
You can always buy used fairings, then repaint the whole bike back to blue.
Oh yeah, add this one to the repair bill....FRAME SLIDERS!
I hope the other side of the bike is still nice...

EDIT:Insurance gonna help you at all?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yea CA drivers are scary they're either mad, faded, or just don't pay attention. riding home through freeways is already scary as it is, i almost saw a fellow cbrerr with his gf get swiped by a lady cutting into his lane luckily he was experienced enough to swerve out of the way.

yea frame sliders will definately be in my list of very very long items, thanks for reminding me i learned my lesson the hard way

I haven't contacted the insurance company yet because they're closed today and I don't want to make a claim yet. There seems to be a loophole or somewhat in the policy under their def. of uninsured motor vehicle. It states that it can also me a hit and run vehicle but i have to straighten that out with the insurance company since i wasn't hit but i was considered a victim of non contact hit and run. I'll keep you guys updated on what i found out about that it could probably save a lot of people money i hope. Thanks again!

Oh yea on a brighter note (besides from being alive) miraculously the left side is untouched i guess i better thank the bushes and grass it slid into for that

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
sorry to here about that, glad u r ok, any questions about what your insurance covers...call them asap monday morning.hope all goes well

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
damn that sucks bro.
first and formost....good to hear you came out alright.
second....f*ckin cali drivers suck...ill say it...they do....
non driving mofo's!!
ebay is your best bet for gettin cheaper parts for the rebuild.
contact the insurance asap. let us know how it goes mang.
goodluck!!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
good to hear your ok man! get some frame sliders, that'll help a lot! shouldnt be to hard fixing up the plastics and stuff, its not hard at all...but what you said about the frame...eek..find a shop that has a frame machine to actually examine out the whole bike, be careful out there bro...good luck to you, and again GLAD UR STILL HERE!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea i can't believe frame sliders make such a big difference, before i was hard - headed about drilling into my fairings but now i'm more like i wouldn't want this to happen again. Ebay has been nice, has anyone every tried the abs plastics made by moto p? they look cool but im not sure about fitment

·
Registered
909 Posts
man thats sucks next time get the frame sliders it will provent some damage, btu the most important thing is your safety.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live in So. Cal. and most of you know how CA drivers are like. Anyway it was around 7:10am and I was heading to work... it sucks now because they're fixing and expanding all of the freeways around my area because of traffic. Instead of taking two freeways to work I now have to take 3 freeways that are always congested.

I was taking an interchange ramp from the 22E to 55S freeways. The ramp turns/curves right. It's two lanes wide and I was in the right lane traveling about 40mph with a car that was 4 - 5 car lengths in front of me.

All of a sudden the car that was in front of me slams on his brakes and simultaneously the car on my left cuts me off and at that point i was 3 ft away from his bumper. I tried to avoid contact with the car directly in front of me so i tried to swerve into the outer left lane and hopefully make it through... which was prolly the biggest mistake i made.

I couldn't take the turn quick enough and started turning wider and wider and i ended lowsiding on the asphalt and the bike dragged all the way into the dirt, bushes, rocks.
That prolly explains the damages on the bike. wish i had sliders and thats the first on my list of parts. i landed 20 feet away from my bike luckily i wasn't killed. Thanks for all the concerns i'll try to get the blue running again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts