Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first time powder coating and I was trying to match Volk Racing's metallic gold on their wheels...I guess it came out decent.

What do you think? Too light? too dark?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! For equipment I used Harbor Freight's powder coating gun and sand blaster kit.

As for the powder I used prismatic gold. They had like 10 different metallic gold colors. Really hard to find the right one that matched volk racing.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Looks great to me! although our bikes will pretty much be twins :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all sorry for the late response.

Powder coating is fairly simple. Strip the part with sand blasting or chemicals (Airplane Stripper). Then clean it with acetone and then bake the part to have the metals release any built up oils. You bake the part for 10-15 minutes, let it cool down a bit, and clean again with acetone. Then you powder coat with the powdercoating system and bake to the proper curing times of the particular powder.

Tools needed are the obvious powder coat machine, air compressor with the proper SCFM delivery at the proper PSI level, and an oven.

But I think there are DIY threads on here to explain powder more detail.

Just for shits here's my setup in my living room:

That's a spare oven I found off of craigslist. If I were to do it all over again I'd set that up in my patio instead. I got gold powder dust all over my printer and kitchen that I had to spend a day cleaning off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Specifically, I was looking to match the Volk Racing Gram Light wheel color that was released back in 2002. The wheels are manufactured by RAYS engineering. Jacking some dude's car pic but here's a pic..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey nice job looks pretty darn good for a first time try. I was thinking of getting a powder coating gun myself but I have a local shop who does great work for a very reasonable price...someday ???

·
Registered
109 Posts
that looks really sharp id love to get mine done i feel like everyone around me wants an arm and a leg to do ******** work, im going to be looking on cl tonight for an oven lol, any adivce on the gun setup? seen a few stores online but hard to tell quality

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that looks really sharp id love to get mine done i feel like everyone around me wants an arm and a leg to do ******** work, im going to be looking on cl tonight for an oven lol, any adivce on the gun setup? seen a few stores online but hard to tell quality
I'm using the harbor freight powder gun but it has its limitations like a lack of constant flow of powder. The design is probable at fault for that. But for it's price (they go on sale sometimes for $50) you can't beat it for small home use and it's perfectly fine for motorcycle items.

If you need an idea to build a sand blasting cabinet to be able to use in the garage just go to my bike's build thread.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i can just picture my wife walking into the house one day with me powder coating parts in the kitchen over our dinner table with the stove out of place...

i better invest in a fancy dog house, or just pay a shop to do this : ) that's awesome dude.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i can just picture my wife walking into the house one day with me powder coating parts in the kitchen over our dinner table with the stove out of place...

i better invest in a fancy dog house, or just pay a shop to do this : ) that's awesome dude.

HAHA ya know my friends were saying the same thing but I live by myself and luckily my fiancee hasn't moved in yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts