Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im really trying to make my first track day asap. i like riding the streets, but i want to move to the track. since i have an 05 the is my life, what precautions should i take when i go out there? should i try and find some old plastics from another bike and put them on there for track days? also, should i maybe go and watch a track day first before i make an attempt to actually ride it? thanks in advance to all the pros

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Seriously, you could ride your bike as is (minus antifreeze) and understand what a track day is like. If you have access to rashed bodywork, it is not a bad idea, but not needed. ride within your limits and enjoy yourself. If you think you want to do it more, then invest the money and go all out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks dude. the thing is the track im going to be going to if you watch, you cant see anything from the spectator area. so thats why i was thinking maybe i could do some corner working and see how it looks the first time and actually race the 2nd time.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Keep in mind you are not racing. You are learning.

Second of all, if you corner work or do any of that, you will over think that corner when you get there. Just find a control rider and be his best friend. That will get you comfortable with the track.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hondaf4iguy said:
Keep in mind you are not racing. You are learning.

Second of all, if you corner work or do any of that, you will over think that corner when you get there. Just find a control rider and be his best friend. That will get you comfortable with the track.
yea that sounds good. thanks a lot dude.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
what track?
random curiosity

·
Registered
486 Posts
hondaf4iguy said:
Seriously, you could ride your bike as is (minus antifreeze)

Um....................not really.

Every organization I've done track days with lets you run coolant in the begginer and intermediate groups.

But you DO have to remove your mirrors and at a minimum tape up your head/tail lights and blinkers.

You can't be riding on some over used tires either. The bike must pass a safety inspection.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tires are still perfectly ok. worn but not bad at all. im ok with removing blinkers and mirrors. and taping up the lights. but the last track day is in dec, dunno if i want to get out there with possible wet or icey conditions. but we will see. after dec track day teh next one is in feb, if i dont make it in dec, feb is plenty of time to get teh bike ready for the track and for me to get proper gear.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
If this is your first time you dont need a full set of spare bodywork. Check the organization as MOST (not all) require coolant replaced with water+water wetter. The orgs I've done trackdays with either let everyone run coolant (only a couple orgs do this) or they require everyone to replace it.

Your tires should be more than 50% and if they show any significant wear they may not pass tech inspection. Same for the brakes.

Once you do your first, you'll quickly become addicted as I did...LOL. I go at least once a month and I DID buy spare OEM bodywork on ebay (stuff already rashed up) for when I go to the track. I also bought a blem trackday upper from ebay (guys a regular seller and still sells a bunch on ebay)-all this paid for itself when I crashed 4 weeks ago at the track.

Also, you'll be alright just going for the first time, without observing first. You should go with the attitude that you're going to ride like you do on the street, only in a safer environment. Then you'll get your speed up incrementally. ALways go with a plan-something you want to accomplish when you're there, more than just going fast. Work on your lines, your vision, your body position, being smooth, etc.

And most importantly HAVE FUN! You'll likely be wearing a big **** eating grin for weeks afterwards.

·
Registered
206 Posts
just learn the track first thing you start riding and let those tires warm up. make sure your tires are new or in almost new condition and bring some spare parts like levers, extra rearsets if you can get'em. the worst thing that can happen is having to retire early incase of a spill because you don't have spare parts, happened to me one time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
+1 for Pantablo, just remember you have like 8 sessions in a track day, and lunch. Drink LOTS of water and dont try to "win" your first few sessions. Good Luck!

BTW track fairings are CHEAP insurance, at least mids and a tail. I would highly reccommend

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pantablo said:
If this is your first time you dont need a full set of spare bodywork. Check the organization as MOST (not all) require coolant replaced with water+water wetter. The orgs I've done trackdays with either let everyone run coolant (only a couple orgs do this) or they require everyone to replace it.

Your tires should be more than 50% and if they show any significant wear they may not pass tech inspection. Same for the brakes.

Once you do your first, you'll quickly become addicted as I did...LOL. I go at least once a month and I DID buy spare OEM bodywork on ebay (stuff already rashed up) for when I go to the track. I also bought a blem trackday upper from ebay (guys a regular seller and still sells a bunch on ebay)-all this paid for itself when I crashed 4 weeks ago at the track.

Also, you'll be alright just going for the first time, without observing first. You should go with the attitude that you're going to ride like you do on the street, only in a safer environment. Then you'll get your speed up incrementally. ALways go with a plan-something you want to accomplish when you're there, more than just going fast. Work on your lines, your vision, your body position, being smooth, etc.

And most importantly HAVE FUN! You'll likely be wearing a big **** eating grin for weeks afterwards.
haha. thanks dude. i appreciate. everybody else too, i appreciate it

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
imaposer said:
BTW track fairings are CHEAP insurance, at least mids and a tail. I would highly reccommend
actually, if I only did one part of the bodywork it would be the upper. think about it-a crash that damages the upper will also damage the headlight. even on ebay those two things can run you $300+ to replace. The mids and tail are less important because they'd be cheaper to replace but still important. All I can say is I'm glad I had the trackday upper!

this would have required headlight and upper replacement. as is, it only requires upper fairing stay replacement...and those are my spare track mids...8^)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts