Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally made my way down to the Mighty Talladega GP Track for the first time. Did the trackday with Sportbike Track Time on November 6th 2010. I decided it would be best for me to run the Intermediate class seeing as how I didn't know the track as well as I was on my new (new to me) 600rr.

Bike Story:
It is an '07 rr that my suspension guy found at an auction with with a repo title with around 600 miles on it. He bought the bike for another friend of mine which set it up for his "B" bike, but never used it for more than a session at a trackday. He decided to get rid of it for a jam-up price. I bought it. That's all I have to say about that. Any intrest as far as mods to the bike just let me know and I will post.

The first time I actually rode the bike was the first session on the track this trip. Well if you guys and gals are like me ADHD has kicked in and you are tired of reading so on with it already.

The video below is of the third session. Any pointers or comments will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
that looks like fun.............

·
Registered
710 Posts
Did we meet last weekend? The guy that passed you at the 8:44 mark is the new owner of STT. Lines looked pretty close except thru the 90s (T3).
Tally is alot of fun and not as easy as some think. You heading to CMP next weekend? Tdub

·
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Throttle Response: I was running consistant 1:07's, but as you can tell I had to go the long way around the track. I believe 90% of my passes were around the outside. I could have definitely picked-up some time following someone that knew the track to see their lines. TDub: I actually met you and Jake last year at CMP in the rain. At that time you wouldn't let Jake put a seat pad on his bike until his times got where you wanted them. I haven't made up my mind about CMP yet. The past two years there it has been freakin cold in November, but we will see. Muffin Man: The "yellow dangling thing" is a key chain that my girlfriend put on my keys and won't let me take off. Gay I know, but I don't even notice it anymore. It used to bug the **** out of me.

·
Registered
710 Posts
and tdub, you have me wondering... why no seatpad... im sure its a training exercise, but why... info me lol
Just had not painted the new glass is all. Had to come up with a better excuse!! Got to get into the heads of these kids and show 'em who is boss!!!:crackup:I might even get him premium gas someday if he gets faster!Tdub

·
Registered
710 Posts
How was Jake diggin the R6?
Really liked the R6, just was struggling with the Michelins. Not quite sure just yet what we plan to do as far as bike and/or tires next year. IF we switch, might have a couple of RRs for sale. Tdub

·
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I gotcha Tdub. Let me know if you guys decide to let go of the RR's. I have a friend in the market. It would suck to see Jake on a different bike, but it's a buisness decision and Jake's career that is more important.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Don't get me wrong. He LOVES his RRs. But next year we plan to do the WERA Nationals and to be competitive, it will take more. For the local, regional rider the RR is the ticket...it honestly just does not have what it takes to compete at the higher levels until they upgrade it. Will keep you posted. Tdub

·
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tdub: The kid's talent caught my eye and I will be following his progress regardless to what bike he is on. I do have a question though that with your years of experience you may be able to answer for me. Why is it that year in and year out the 600rr can win manufacturer of the year in the FIM World Supersport class, but here in the states a person can't be as competative. Rarely do you see a honda on the box in a WERA race and never do you see a Honda on the box in an AMA race. If my memory serves me correctly the Rockwall Honda guys were doing well with the Honda in the Supersport and Formula Extreme Classes and switched to the R6 and we all know how that worked out for them. JD Beach was almost unstoppable in the Supersport class. What in your eyes does the 600RR lack. Is it factory backing on the contengency side? Less contengency= Less riders which= less parts easily avaliable at desent prices which= less parts in the paddock to borrow from your fellow racer in case of a crash. Making it hard for your weekend talent to get his to remain competative due to the elevated cost in turn not getting the exposure that his talent deserves. I could be way off and some my info may be incorrect and if so I apologize and invite anyone to correct me.

·
T BOTM Winner 11 / 11
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Coon. I is a great starter track in my mind. Not very high speed, but is very technical. I feel that if you can go fast at little Tally then you can pick up speed quickly and go fast just about everywhere.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i will have to say, i have always rode honda and the 600cc at that.. but honda cant compete in the wera 600 class. period.. i will say this, my next race/track bike will be anything but honda, if honda dont do something in the next couple years.. only bike still with undertail exhaust.. only bike still without a factory slipper, down on hp, they still have facotry raised clip ons, unlike EVERY other 600. many things need to be changed with the 600rrs. they thing is tho, when they make these changes, you know they will want to charge an extra 2500 for the bike... at which point, ill pay alot less, and get a faster r6.. its no secret that the yamas are the bike of choice for local/wera type stuff.. and its no wonder why......

loving my honda. but they need to step up

·
Registered
710 Posts
The 600RR is a fantastic bike for the average to plus average rider. The big downfall is Honda refuses to upgrade the bike when the YZ and Gixxer go forward by leaps and bounds. WSS is another story with the mods they allow.
The RR can and has won every WERA regional it has run this season, but next year when we go to the Nationals that is another story. ie. Jake totalled his RR racebike a few weeks ago at barber. It had no motor mods but a full system and PC. In order to run CMP this last weekend, I took a brand new '09, put on a Yosh slipon and some Vortex rearsets and clipons. Jake proceeded to lay down lap times that would have won the last WERA race there in C,B,and A SS by over a second a lap...with a STOCK RR!!!
I spoke with an Erion Crewchief last week about building some motors for next year. He told me that a $550 R6 remap would yield more HP and Tq than a $5000 SS build on the RR!
Until Honda commits like the other factories with thier 600s, it will be behind the ball at the top level of competition. For the Regionals, I would stick with the Honda as it is a great overall package for the average racer.
JMO Tdub

1 - 20 of 23 Posts