Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted before about how I was going to deals gap from florida. Im leaving tomorrow and meeting a friend there.

So Im riding up from florida, about 500 miles.

He lives in North Carolina and is borrowing his brothers truck to haul his bike there so he doesnt have to ride it. I just thought this was pretty weak considering its a motorcycle trip and were both in our 20's and in great health. Just wanted to make fun of him a little.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
in case someone should have a mis hap or a break down, its not that bad an idea to have a truck handy.
ive done about 350 miles in 1 day before, could have rode more, but didnt feel like it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in case someone should have a mis hap or a break down, its not that bad an idea to have a truck handy.
ive done about 350 miles in 1 day before, could have rode more, but didnt feel like it.
Its a new zx6-r

I did 800 miles in one day. Tell him to grow a pair!
Haha I just texted him this response and he said "My ass he did, maybe on a goldwing"

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i rode up to my home town, 289 miles one way, to get my marriage certificate and home the same day

·
Registered
252 Posts
Its a new zx6-r

Haha I just texted him this response and he said "My ass he did, maybe on a goldwing"
1500 miles. First day 800 miles. Second day took off to fix cracked oil pan. Third day 700 miles. On a stock 03 600RR. With a HUGE duffel bag on the tank and 2 backpacks. I am not the only person to go this many miles on a supersport.

It is handy for a group to have a "support truck" if they can't ride or have unreliable bikes. I still think your friend needs a pair.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I did 800 miles in one day. Tell him to grow a pair!
:hump: +1

I've done 1100 miles in 22 hours before on my F4i, and 2 other people were with me, one on an '04 1000RR, and the other on a '98 F3. Also did 5,126.3 miles in 18 days, then 3,000 miles in 10 days, plus numerous other trips. Long trips are perfectly attainable on a sportbike, just not for everyone I guess. Personally, I don't trailer my bike anywhere...ever, and it's been around the block a few times!. Tell him to ride it, that's half the adventure! :01_thumbu

·
Registered
252 Posts
:hump: +1

I've done 1100 miles in 22 hours before on my F4i, and 2 other people were with me, one on an '04 1000RR, and the other on a '98 F3. Also did 5,126.3 miles in 18 days, then 3,000 miles in 10 days, plus numerous other trips. Long trips are perfectly attainable on a sportbike, just not for everyone I guess. Personally, I don't trailer my bike anywhere...ever, and it's been around the block a few times!. Tell him to ride it, that's half the adventure! :01_thumbu
^^^Nice^^^ I'll bet your even willing to ride in the rain.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
^^^Nice^^^ I'll bet your even willing to ride in the rain.
I've ridden through more than my fair share of monsoons where traffic on the highway slowed to about 35 mph, visibility was about 50 ft, and a good number of cars were pulling off onto the shoulder and stopping with their flashers on. The one time on I-75 it was raining so hard + the humidity making everything fog up (I was in the middle of the FL everglades), the ONLY thing I could see was the yellow flashers on the Ford Taurus in front of me.

Back in Dec 2005 my buddy and I rode back to south Florida from Birmingham, AL.... left at 7:30 am and it was 38 degrees and raining. It rained non-stop for the first 13 hours of the 17.5 hour trip, until we were around Ocala, FL. Then back in Feb of this year, my buddy and I left N. Georgia to head to south Florida, and it was 37 degrees and raining when we left, and didn't stop until about 3 hours into the trip, a little ways south of Macon.

I also ride all winter long... coldest this past winter was 12 degrees with the windchill, and a couple times I got some snow flurries. I LOVE my heated grips (and full leather suit!) Definitely got my moneys worth out of them this past winter, lol. Been commuting each and everyday for almost 4 years now, as well as lots of roadtrips... probably ridden through a little bit of everything :tongue11: Hell it was raining tonight when I left my buddies house to come home. Only light rain though, no biggie

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also ride all winter long... coldest this past winter was 12 degrees with the windchill, and a couple times I got some snow flurries. I LOVE my heated grips (and full leather suit!) Definitely got my moneys worth out of them this past winter, lol. Been commuting each and everyday for almost 4 years now, as well as lots of roadtrips... probably ridden through a little bit of everything :tongue11:
What kind of tires do you run? Do you switch for seasons.... or do you run the same all year? If you ride in 12 degrees have you ever run into black ice? And or regular ice? I ride below 32 degrees and I always have that in the back of my mind.... where is the ice going to be?

I love hearing about people riding. Mods are cool and everything but my purpose is to ride.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
What kind of tires do you run? Do you switch for seasons.... or do you run the same all year? If you ride in 12 degrees have you ever run into black ice? And or regular ice? I ride below 32 degrees and I always have that in the back of my mind.... where is the ice going to be?

I love hearing about people riding. Mods are cool and everything but my purpose is to ride.
Never run into any black or regular ice, though I have been warned about the black ice around this area. There were a couple days I would not ride just because of possible black ice, as it has drizzled the day before then very cold at night. I didn't want to risk it, so I drove the car that day. Other times when I did ride I was just very cautious, and did whatever I could to spot anything that looked like an ice possibility (damp spots in the road, ect). Haven't run into any yet.. knock on wood! It's most definitely always in the back of my mind though when it's below freezing

I usually just run regular Pilot Powers, though it just kinda depends on what I can find as I run mostly track take offs. I've got a set of Pilot Race on my bike now. I just stick with the same ones all year though, for the most part. I might try some Pirellis as a guy at my work is selling a set of take offs, so I'll probably get those next. First time I've drifted away from Pilot Power/Race for quite some time now! Never a problem with the Pilot Powers in the cold weather though... they griped like a champ!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Ya sure you Can ride that far and many have, But unless you just like racking up miles on a boring steady speed on the highway, why do it. I agree, truck it there, be fresh and have a support vehicle too. High mileage is why the Goldwing exists

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ya sure you Can ride that far and many have, But unless you just like racking up miles on a boring steady speed on the highway, why do it. I agree, truck it there, be fresh and have a support vehicle too. High mileage is why the Goldwing exists
I have driven across country a couple of times. First time was in a car 1500 miles nonstop. If I didn't need gas the car was not stopping. 24 hours in a car sucked and I had the greasiest face ever. Second time was on my 600rr with 2 days riding. The time on my bike was way better than the car.

For me my mind is most peaceful when I ride. I concentrate and focus 100% when I ride but everything else just melts away.

If highway rides are boring or not enjoyable for you, you are doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
^^^ Or take a route that doesn't involve highways. Unless you're in a major hurry to get somewhere, take the scenic route. On one trip I went through Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and part of Ohio without touching a highway.... all backroads. Many of the roads, especially through West Virginia, were absolutely spectacular. Got to stop and see alot of cool places and take lots of pictures... it was alot of fun! Once I got into Ohio I was kinda crunched for time, as I had to get up to Chicago to see my mom on the day she took off work, so I had to jump on the highway for the rest of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Still wasn't bad at all though... highway is kind of relaxing after going for a ways on the twisty backroads... gives your mind and body a little time to chill and just sit there for a bit, lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
To each his own, but I would choose a touring bike over a RR long distance. I love my RR but would NOT enjoy 500 miles non stop riding.

You gotta try a K1200LT or Goldwing. heated everything, cruise control, stereo with XM, zero wind and a crap load of storage. Hell, you can have a sandwich and a drink if you want ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts