Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok title says it all she gets on mine (as a passager) and fell in love. I am kinda exited in a way because it turns me on but also scared as hell in another. i figure cause she let me bring home a bike i have to return the favor. BUT what is a good beginner bike for a chick who doesnt know her own ass from her elbow i was thinking a ninja 250R but i hear they cant get out of there own way. She also wants to have that "sportbike" look. maybe a 500 let me know what you think because i am skeptical on the whole situation. My private time used to be on the bike with my buds now im gonna have to drag this along with us... haha oh well

·
Registered
356 Posts
a buell blast... i plan on gettin my gf one. its feels like an over powered moped an it gives them a feel of ridding a bike without all the power

·
Registered
233 Posts
seriously the sv650 is a nice bike with the sportbike look, ninja 250 is a great choice imo. They are plenty quick and a great bike to learn on, hell i wish i still had one just to screw around on!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
1000rr! :)

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
dude, listen to me, i was in a similar situation almost 2 years ago, my girl at the time wanted a job, so stupidly i got her a job were i worked and it sucked. if she wants a bike i say let her go out and look for everything on her own so she knows how much work it is getting starting and everything. the last thing you want is to have spent all the time for her and money and be bitter that she dropped it or something and quit.

I'd just be careful what you do. don't want to have to worry about her when you should be worrying about the road and riding.

·
Registered
736 Posts
my wife is just starting to ride i bought her the euro sv400s. looks like the sv650 but less power. the bad part is going riding with your girl is going to suck. my wife is so timid that i cant help but be stuck in second gear everywhere we go together. kinda ruins a good ride but she is getting better. maybe soon she can come drag some knee with me.j/k

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
start her out on a smaller bike like a cub & let her ride around the block or parking lot with your supervision, a cheaper & smaller bike would be just right for her if what you say is true, don't let her on bigger bikes just yet even a ninja250 has enough power to overwhelm a total newbie. let her take MSF too & buy here some decent gear.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife just decided to start also, I got her the SV650. I'm going to put the full fairings on it once she gets some miles under her belt since she likes the full fairing look better. She took the MSF this past weekend. It really helped her out alot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My girlfriend really wants to get a bike, but she worried about money as well as the dangers. I think it would be so fun to have her ride with me, but I just really worry about her safety. Not saying she isn't a good driver, but if anything ever happened to her it would be all my fault for getting her into motorcycles. It's also her first time driving a manual transmission so thats one more reason to worry. I think it's going to be a few years before she can safely hop on a bike...when she does I'm thinking like a Ninja 250R is a good starting sport bike, or a Rebel 250 if it's more comfortable for her.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I too would look into the SV650, great bike for the money... from what I've heard.

Definately go with something used, if she digs it, then you can look into buying something new down the road if she so desires.

·
Registered
907 Posts
ehh i'd prolly start her out on a busa, at least. She's gonna get bored so quick on a rinky dink 600.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Suzuki GS500... and gee... look! I have one that I'm about to sell.

Seriously though it's a great bike that won't overpower a newbie. It's an inexpensive bike that performs well, is very solid and dependable, relatively quick with enough power to keep her interested for a while to come. Best thing to do... get a short list put together, sit down at a computer, google some bike pics and then ask her what she likes.

And if she likes the GS500, I've got one that's gonna go soon, so I'm willing to talk (not trying to threadjack, just thought I'd offer).

·
Registered
796 Posts
One of my very good friend was in a similiar situation. His wife wanted to ride, so he bought her a Ninja 250. Well turns out, she wasn't very good. She had trouble balancing and it was extremely difficult for her. She practiced with a bicycle to get balance down though.

Well she eventually ended up dropping it at like 15mph and she never wanted to ride again. Some people may not give up, but i think she just figured it was too hard for her.

Make sure your girl REALLY wants to ride this, you dont want to buy it and have her back out like my friend. Make her take the MSF class first too or something.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no no no no hel no am i buying it for her she makes 3 times the money as me (sucks) but she is really buggin me so i thought id at least look for bikes for her because a salesman would trick her into buying a gsxr600 and then id be in jail the next day haha

1 - 20 of 38 Posts