Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't posted in a while, and for those (very few of you) who recall my previous posts, the cliff note version is that I took the MSC in Nov, got a 250 ninja in Jan, took it to the shop to get some maintence done, and that leads us to yesterday, which is the beginning of my story.

I go to the dealership to pick up the motorcycle (I don't have a car, so I ride the city bus). I pay, it's around 6, so I hope on my motorcycle, decide to get used to it, and ride around the little neighborhood next to the dealership. Feels good, it's all coming back, I stall out maybe twice, while practicing starting and stopping quickly, getting used to flicking and using turn signal w/o looking. I feel good, already 20-30 mph is too slow, so I feel that I won't have any problem around 40-45. (which is what I need to go to not killed) It's about quarter to 7, when the beginning of my long night starts, and the first instance where my riding a motorcyle almost comes to a nasty end. For whatever reason, a limo is in the neighborhood...not the best neighborhood which is why it seemed odd. I slow way down (from a insanely fast 20 mph :p) to about 10mph. The limo stops....I'm about 200 feet behind it. No biggie...I slow down even more...a truck goes past the limo....then the limo pops it into reverse and floors it....goes to at least 20mph and that 200 feet suddenly seems a lot less. I beep my horn a few times, in a bit of a panic, and accidently turn my signal on at the same time, not that I cared. (while I did practice the feel for the signal w/o looking, the horn I did not) I hit the throttle and swirve to my left (the truck had just passed). The limo hits the brakes about 3 seconds too late, but if I had stayed there I would have been a little puddle of mush. I do not know what what the **** that was all about.

With that chapter closed, I now feel like I have a target on my back. I felt that way before (as I am extremely wary of cars and drivers not paying attention), but now it's as if someones out to get me intentionally. I decide that I will pull onto the main road, and then head down a side road immediately, so that I can stay off the crazy intersections, and plus just enjoy the ride. As I get ready to leave the little neighborhood, 7pm rolls around, the heavens open and rain pours down. I pull into a gas station refill...get a mountain dew, and wait for it to stop. It's around 7:30, and the rain has abatted, I get on the bike, get on the road, make my turn onto the side road, and the rain starts again. I pull into a parking lot, get under cover and wait. Another 15 minutes passes, but I feel far more comfortable now that the storm has stopped, hop on the bike, go two miles down the road when I notice a car riding my ass rather hard (im going 40 in a 40)...I pull into an apt complex...wait for a nice big gap, and stall. (first time I have in the past hr, so I'm laughing to myself how I was just getting the hang of it and I go back to stalling 101). Problem is; the bike won't start back up. Battery is dead. Dead dead. Profanities are uttered. I sigh and begin to push, while grabbing my cellphone and attempting to call some friends, here's where verizon conspired with kawi to kill me. My phone has had battery problems, now it one ups that and simply spazs out, I manage to call one of my friends, get a voicemail (it's springbreak so no suprise, he's probably banging a transexual mother of 2 in his s&m cat outfit), and the phone just turns off. I had 3 bars of power, and it just shuts off. I curse some more. When I turn it back on, it starts backup, shows a screen I've never seen before, then reverts to your Nintendo when it fucked up and froze and the pixels got jacked up on the screen. Then it begins to speak to me. Okay that list bit was made up, but it was making weird beeps and boops I've never heard ever from my phone, maybe it was channeling R2-D2. So here I am, stranded with a fricking 300 pound + motorcycle to push. Fantastic.

But it gets better, not only am I now pushing the thing, but it starts pouring. I sigh and think to myself what a wonderful day. Naturally I have to push the bike up a bridge, it's narrow so I have to use the sidewalk, thing is the sidewalk is rather slim, and if you aren't careful you'll tumble over the side and down 30 feet where the bike will crush me to a pulp. Joy. I manage to get it all the way down, the sidewalk ends, and I manage to fight my way through mud, keep it upright, and not get crushed. I get to the end, see that the guardrail is about to end, and it runs right into a fence. I kid you ******* not. A fence is erected that runs to the guardrail. The sidewalk is on the outside of the guardrail, or to simply things, the guardrail is between the sidewalk and the road. I utter some creative cursing, something about **** waffles, and I get a call. I can hear the person, but they can't hear me. I call them **** waffles too. I realize rather despondently that I am going to have to push this motorcycle back up the ******* bridge, down the side, and then back up on the other sidewalk that runs parallel. Fan-*******-tastic. This is a lot harder because now there is the very real possiblity of my feet slipping (which they did) and the bike rolling on top of me, or better, rolling and then flipping and coming down on top of me as we slide down the hill, cracking my skull or shattering my sternum. (which it didn't) I get it up the hill, wait for a break, push it back up the bridge overpass, and while on the sidewalk, decide to roll it down and pop it into first. Nothing happens as I roll down the hill, 50 feet left, nothing, 30 feet, nothing, 5 feet, the engine roars to life, I grab the throttle, give it a little love, it's alive. Hurrah. I'm stuck on the sidewalk, I roll it down to a driveway, wait for traffic to clear, its a good 3 minute wait....great, it has to pickup now. Then it dies on me. I stare at the bike like Jesus did Judas...well Jesus was too nice...how about Peter? Peter I'm sure thought of some nasty things to do to Judas. So I groan, look over and realize I had turned the fuel tank off. I decide to try again. I push it back up the hill, again there's this escarpment that goes down 30 feet, people's backyards, a big fat hispanic lady I can see through her sliding glass window, munching on most likely lard with fat sprinkles, and here's where it gets tricky. I have to manhandle the bike in a sidewalk with a drop off....I have to turn it 180 degrees. Try it sometime. Not easy. I manhandle it, get it turned 90 degrees, and am tempted to get on it, ride down the damn hill, and drive into the big fat lady who has now gathered her family and are laughing at me. I decline the temptation, continue turning it, and get it straightened out. I ride down the hill, hoping it will fire, no dice. It's around 8:30-8:45 my phone tells me, on the outside, but if I open it, it turns off. Figures.

So begins the final leg of my journey, I must have seen 200 pickup trucks, none belonging to a sympathetic soul or a friend. I push the bike 7.2 miles (according to yahoo maps), on sidewalks, on sand, on the mainroad while dodging traffic. I push it down a sideroad, with the turn signal on so I don't get run down, and then push it up my last big test. A 15-20 degree incline, about a 1/4 hill. It's now 11:15. I've been at this for 4 hrs. I begin to jog, (what I wouldn't kill for my cd player, nvm, it'd probably have gotten wrecked in the rain). I'm pushing this pos machine up this hill, my back arms, chest, legs, are ******* aching, and I've had a few cramps, and now I'm practically running up this hill. I get to the top.....and don't quite for the elation that rocky did, but I realize I'm only a 1/4 mile from home. I walk the rest of the way, don't collapse, don't put the bike down throughout the entire trek. I park it in the first spot, jog the 100 feet home, strip, shower and go to bed. What a ******* day.

I was supposed to workout, I was supposed to go to a party, I was supposed to do a lot things yesterday. Instead. That was my night. What a night. Broken phone, broken bike. Frodo the ******* hobbit has nothing on me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can't believe I read that whole thing....LOL...work is boring. Honestly if my first experiance with A bike was that bad I'd sell the bike and get A car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That was some story man... You must live in some place with some heartless souls; can't believe no one offered any help. How's the bike now?

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
crazy story mang.

after the bike wouldnt start up cause of the battery...it's got a clutch, so you can pushstart it sometimes. worth a try anyways.

·
Registered
523 Posts
crazy story mang.

after the bike wouldnt start up cause of the battery...it's got a clutch, so you can pushstart it sometimes. worth a try anyways.
i think he tried to from what i read??? not 100% positive tho

and the cell phone will do that when it gets wet let it dry and it should work again oh and let me guess its a motorola?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Live in Orlando. Did try to push start, got it to fire once and stay for a bit...but then couldn't get it to go. (the whole hill bit) Didn't have any money on me, and the phone numbers I needed where on my phone. Sure I could have tried a couple people I knew, but of the 5-6 numbers of people who live near me, all were out of town. (due to spring break)

Wasn't any payphones till about 2 miles from house...and then why the hell even bother.

My question to you guys...is how can I charge the battery? I'm really SOL right now.

Also....I take it that the battery is acting atypically?

"weren't there any payphones? i'm sure there's a bunch of things you could have done instead of pushing the bike 7 miles. :("

Like?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I didn't know our bikes had a fuel cut-off. In fact, I read the whole manual and never saw mention of it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
woooooooow. damn son. sorry about your luck. but ima firm believer in karma so about 3 naked bitches are about to come to your house.....right now. go get the door. seriously.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I didn't know our bikes had a fuel cut-off. In fact, I read the whole manual and never saw mention of it.
I could be reading more into this then I think, perhaps because of my rather wonderful day yesterday, but other then lording over me the fact that I likely misused some terminology, and that you in your inescapable wisdom are so just much more intelligent then me master of the universe. Your point for bringing this up is?

Oh cool, you ride a 250 kawi too then.

What line was that again? I missed it.

woooooooow. damn son. sorry about your luck. but ima firm believer in karma so about 3 naked bitches are about to come to your house.....right now. go get the door. seriously.
I went and opened the door and there was a UPS guy across the hall. You gotta do better then that for me :p. The irony is that a guy stalled out in a car 2 nights, near a gas station, but he couldn't push because if he would roll back into the street. Me and another guy helped him out. The moral of the story. Get a car. :p

·
Hittin The Twisties On My RC 51
1,196 Posts
Ok, from now on, even though I don't own a pickup, I promise to stop for any downed biker I happen to come across. If nothing but to let the poor guy borrow my cell phone. 7 miles? Dood, that is tough. I have heard some rough stories about hard luck with bikers before but that ranks pretty high up on "The World is Against Me" scale.

·
Registered
606 Posts
To charge the battery I recommend a Battery Tender.
http://www.batterytender.com/
Just about any motorcycle place has them.

The Ninja 250 have fuel cutoffs, it's also how you switch to reserve as well.

Personally I probably would have parked it in a lot and walked home or got a ride, but I'm lazy. Once home I would find a car, and go jump the bike if push starting didn't work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Something similar happened to my roommate 2 weeks ago. He bought a 06 yami fz6. Stalled it a bunch of times and after a while it just wouldnt start back up. Someone lent us jumper cables and but I couldnt find the damn battery.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
I know this isn't the maintence/repair portion, but from your suggestion, I take it, it's safe to jump a motorcycle w/ a car?
if the bike is also a 12volt , then yes........but dont rev the car,

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Are we absolutely sure it was a dead battery? I would have called the dealer and made them pick my ass up since the bike at least worked before they f-ed with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just joined this forum but I can certainly feel your pain. I ride snowmobiles in the mountains and we are always wrecking, getting stuck, lost, or breaking down. I bought a Honda bike because I was tired of breaking down.

Your story is not inspiring me at all.

Things break, it can be fixed. I would pull the battery and get it checked at Napa before messing with it. The bike should have started when you went down hill and popped it into gear. This sounds like something more serious than a drained battery. You do not want to replay this story.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts