Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm rather vexed here. 2005 CBR600RR. 5100 +/- miles. I've filled my tank up about 6 times so far. I run the tank down to one bar every time. By what the pump's telling me, I've been filling up at/around 4 gallons. On AVERAGE, I've been getting 130 miles on a full tank (the at/around 4 gallons). This is putting my MPG at/around 32-36. Hmmm... is this normal?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah sounds about right, how you ride it will also effect your fuel consumptions

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no doubt. I only open it maybe twice every tank full, only for about a quarter mile at length. I normally ride interstate (80mph). I don't really gun my bike alot, so that's why I'm averaging out to the 130.

I may be mistaken, and I'll TRY to look it up, but I could have sworn I saw people reporting anywhere from 18O-2OO miles per tank. Is this true/possible? That's average around 56MPG!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use my bike for commuting and spent an entire tank never going over 65 and shifting earlier than usual and I can get 50mpg. But that is babying it. I dont think I could ever get 180 miles to a tank. When I go to the gas station I always put around 3.3 gallons in it because I never let it get too low. And it averages 45 mpg.

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
I get about 40 mpg as well with some spirited riding, but no gun running on the streets of the DC-MD-VA metro area. That being said, if I really take it easy, I can grab 45+ mpg. Really just depends on how hard you're on the gas and how fast you're going. Just like any vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmm interesting. In any event, fellow riders are getting 40-50MPG and I'm only AVERAGING around 30. What am I doin wrong? I don't go any higher than 80-90 also. I've gunned it maybe twice per tank-full, never goin more than 120 and only for about 1/4 mile, if that. That little bit of gunning can drop MPG by 10-20? Also I have never paid attention to what RPM I upshift at, but now I will. Generally I should be upshifting (every gear from 2nd to 6th) around the 7-9k mark? I'll start doin this if so.

Any more advice guys/gals?

·
Registered
36 Posts
How are you calculating your mpg?
Do you reset the trip at each fill up? (Thats what I do)
DO you fill up to the same level each time? (I fill up to the metal ring in the fuel tank each time)

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dividing the total trip miles by the amount of fuel I fill up with.
Yes, I reset every trip to help calculate.
Yes, I consistently fill up the same level, but I use my fuel reciept to get the exact amout I filled up with.

My calculations are correct. I've seen 125 to 136 total trip miles and I always fill up to within .5 of 4 gallons. That's why, in general, I'm averaging at/around 32MPG. So it's not the numbers, it's either my bike or my riding habits. I don't thrash my bike all the time, so I just don't know... How in the world can I be getting anywhere from 10-20 MPG LOWER than riders doing what I do?

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
your running 80, thats what your doing wrong. your bike is constantly at 7k-8k rpm on the interstate. slow down to 70 and it should help some. and shifting around 5k-7k will help too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does the bike ahve a pipe and PC3 cause that alter your fuel consumption a fair bit depending on the tune and how rich it is, i know it did on my CBR

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
your running 80, thats what your doing wrong. your bike is constantly at 7k-8k rpm on the interstate. slow down to 70 and it should help some. and shifting around 5k-7k will help too.
I'll kick it down to 65-70 on my next run, and I'll report what it does. Also which is it: should I be upshifting at 5-7k or 7-9k?

Does the bike ahve a pipe and PC3 cause that alter your fuel consumption a fair bit depending on the tune and how rich it is, i know it did on my CBR
I don't know. Where can I find it, and what do I do to/with it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well as far as the pipe goes im sure you can tell/know if it has an after market pipe or a factory one and a PC3 is an after market ecu to remap the fuel so it makes more power (but also uses more fuel)

If you have a power comander installed they are usually under the passanger seat/rear cowl:toothy4:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
If you dont know if it has one, it probably doesn't. By pipe he means aftermarket exhaust, and by PC3 he means a module you plug into your bike that changes the way your ECU operates.

Some other things to check is your chain (lube and adjustment) and to make sure your rear tire is lined up correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Almost 95% sure it's stock back there, so no to that one. Thanks for pointing that out tho; I'll keep that lil side-effect in mind if I ever think about getting one.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts