Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new rider. With that being said, as I've discussed in my other posts I am purchasing a 600RR. Now the bike I was going to purchase was 2009 with 0 miles for $7500. ( for those of you that want the link just ask ). But it's come to my attention that I might be a little better off as a new rider on a bike with ABS.

Sure it costs more but after seeing the videos I'm convinced I need it, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
you dont need it. couldnt hurt to have it though.

as mentioned in the above post, in not so many words. you are better off with a used bike to learn on. when you are ready, trade up to a shiny new bike. just my 2ct.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
+1 on the drop comment, proper insurance can help with the anger/disappointment in yourself.
However the ABS is smart decision also. I choose one; but I learned on (and dropped at a stand still) a Ninja 650.

The ninja is for sale if you are interested. :)

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
for sure, you will be pissed at your self when your new sparkly bike hits the pavement

99% of us have all at one point failed to put down the kickstand dismount and OHHHH SHHHH.... aww, shes scratched, useually only takes onces to learn to never forget again...

the abs wont hurt, it can only assist you, as the braking power of a bike is many fold more powerfull than a car and often takes some getting used to

not to mention, the rr is alot of bike for a beginner and theres many other ways to drop your bike with out full out wrecking that will cause you plenty of pain

just so your informed.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
$7500 is an excellent deal for a new bike. ABS is nice; not necessary IMHO but it would help in certain situations. plenty of riders (even newbies) ride bikes without ABS.

I'd look into a used one first and save yourself a couple of grand plus the headache of dropping your shiny new scoot. And yes it is absolutely true that you will drop it at some point (i have, but thankfully i had sliders).

·
Registered
120 Posts
It has been poven that you can stop in less distance with the non-ABS than the ABS. There was a write-up in one of the major Moto mags.:shakehand

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where are you located? What dealership you going to?
It's called Pro Italia, it's a Ducati/MV Agusta dealership but they have a 2007 600RR with 2k miles for 7k. I'm obviously not going to give them a dollar over 6k because i can buy a brand new one for 7500 as listed above.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It has been poven that you can stop in less distance with the non-ABS than the ABS. There was a write-up in one of the major Moto mags.:shakehand
Those were pro riders with experience (plus a lot of track time) in super hard braking control. The average commuter rider will benefit from ABS a lot more as they do not have finely tuned bike control and feel.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Really. I don't buy it, I'd like to see/read said article. I think it may be close on dry payments, but my money would still be on the ABS. And in a wet environment, ABS hands down.

·
Registered
300 Posts
You're going to be real mad when you drop that brand new bike. And you will drop it.
LOL!!!! :+1:

Meng!

I remember when I got my first bike. It was a 2000 F4I.

I was backing the bike up into a parking spot. The bike was going back too fast and I felt my feet slipping on some sand. In a panic, I gripped my front brake hard.......WHAMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! and just like that, the bike was on the ground.

That was my first drop, and I was sooooo glad I bought the bike used.

Buy a used bike
Learn from your mistakes
Learn how to ride
Then buy a bike you really want

just my 2 cents.......good luck!

Cheers!!!!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
install frame sliders before you ever ride it.. with that said i wouldnt get a first bike with ABS because you should know how to brrake for real.. you would move up to a new bike and know nothing about braking to limits..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
install frame sliders before you ever ride it.. with that said i wouldnt get a first bike with ABS because you should know how to brrake for real.. you would move up to a new bike and know nothing about braking to limits..
I agree but by that logic he should be starting off on a smaller bike to begin with. ABS might not be a bad idea with a new rider on a 600 bike when he does his first hard braking and locks the front up and tosses his new bike. That being said OP its your money buy whatever you want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree but by that logic he should be starting off on a smaller bike to begin with. ABS might not be a bad idea with a new rider on a 600 bike when he does his first hard braking and locks the front up and tosses his new bike. That being said OP its your money buy whatever you want.
I think ABS will be better for a new rider, although it will give me too much confidence. False confidence that is. I'm going to buy a 600 without ABS in order to learn the dynamics of the bike first. Knowing I don't have ABS under me will make me think twice before flicking my wrist.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts