Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of us picked up Garmin Quest GPS units recently. Garmin makes a motorcycle kit that has a mount and hardwire cord with a plug for earphones or a chatterbox. I used a stem stand to mount it all on the bike.

This thing rocks. Set your address as "home", push a button and it will direct you with visual and audio directions right to your door. It is very readable in direct sunlight and changes screen colors automatically at night so it doesn't blind you.

Here are some pics...

This thing is the same size as a pack of cigarettes. I haven't had a lo of experience with it yet, but I'm headed for The Gap next week. I'll post better information when I get back. In the meantime here is a very detailed review...
http://www.gpsinformation.us/quest/questrev.html

·
Registered
443 Posts
Cool Deputy, let us know how you make out!
I recently bought the Quest too. I have been using it in my car and works great. I have not used it on any of my bikes yet as I have not bought any brackets. My intention is to flip it from vehicle to vehicle. I was most concerned with using it on my RR because of how it would look. It doesn't look too bad on your RR. How does it look when the Quest is not mounted? Can you post a pic? What did you do regarding the audio?

·
Registered
443 Posts
cbr600yea03 said:
how much did you pay
I don't know how much Deputy paid but I paid $599. I know for a fact that you can get it for less. I checked around and I saw it on the internet for $565 or something like that. I got it at Circuit City and paid the higher price because they always took care of me in the past if anything was defective. Their salesman usually sucks & knows less about the product than you or me but their after service is excellent and that is why I paid extra to go with them.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Wow, very nice unit. Where did you purchase the stem mount from and how much if you don't mind? I've got an older Garmin GPSMAP 176 that is pretty big but I'd like to mount it similar to how yours is.

·
Registered
526 Posts
GA_RR said:
Wow, very nice unit. Where did you purchase the stem mount from and how much if you don't mind? I've got an older Garmin GPSMAP 176 that is pretty big but I'd like to mount it similar to how yours is.

He got his from www.stemstand.com and it usually sells for 59.99 + shipping. I have a used one that i'll probably end up selling since i cant use the stemstand on my 1000rr anymore cuz of the HESD. I did drill two holes on it to hold my ram mount for my gps. PM me if anybody wants to buy it for half off retail.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I've got an etrek vista I have mounted with a ram mount. Pretty sweet. It's mostly a toy. Not much useful info besides milage, speed, alt, because I always know where I'm going.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The GPS unit clips on and off in a split second. It is the size of a pack of cigs so you can just stick it in your pocket and walk away.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
cbr600yea03 said:
how much did you pay
I did alot of research and the absolute lowest price I found was $445 shipped from www.gpsonsale.com, which is where I purchased it. Based on my experience I would recommend them. The lowest price I found for the motorcycle mount is $52 shipped from www.provantage.com. I would also recommend them.

How does it look when the Quest is not mounted? Can you post a pic? What did you do regarding the audio?

As far as the audio the motorcycle kit has an 1/8" plug (which is right behind the mount). I can plug it into my chatterbox with the same cable (1/8" to 1/8" male) I use for my MP3 player.

I don't know how much Deputy paid but I paid $599. I know for a fact that you can get it for less. I checked around and I saw it on the internet for $565 or something like that.
$445 at www.gpsonsale.com

Where did you purchase the stem mount from and how much if you don't mind?
www.stemstand.com I paid $76 shipped, but I bought a 1 1/2" rod (which I used) because the stands come with 3 1/2" rods between the stem and mount. They have specific mounting plates for most everything, including the quest, call them and tell them what you are mounting. They threw the quest plate in for nothing extra. It has the correct holes for the motorcycle kit and uses rubber bushings much like what is used on bikes for the fairings.

I was thinking about taking the PDA + Bluetooth GPS route. Might be a little more expensive, but you can clip off the PDA and use it for a lot more things. Just an idea
I wouldn't suggest it! The quest is waterproof and designed for outside use. It's smaller than a PDA with GPS attachment, and the battery is good for 20+ hours if you don't have it hardwired. Plus I don't think the PDA will give verbal directions.

so how hard is it to remove this unit every time you leave your bike?
If you look at the pic above there is a little red padlock on the right. You slide the quest into the mount and push in the padlock. When you do it causes two little pins to come out and lock the quest in. Very slick! It takes about a second and a half to take it off :)

which stemstand did you get?
The RR takes part# 10992 which isn't listed on their site.

I forgot to add that Garmin has a great warranty policy. If there is damage to the unit (like you wreck and break it in a million little pieces) they will fix it to new for $150. This also is the price for after warranty repairs. So if it falls out of an airplane, breaks in two, and the LCD shatters you pay $150 and they will send you a like new unit.

I should also add that I hardwired the mount to the license plate light using the plug removed with the plate bracket. This makes the unit receive it's power from the bike and turn on/turn off with the bike. I routed the wire under the tail, along the frame rail, and under the tank cover. I thought this would be a lot easier than removing the front cowl to hook it to the running light circuit. It's also pretty easy to get to for any repairs or removal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts