Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I had given up street riding about 2-1/2 years ago after getting hooked on a trackdays in a big way. Just didn't really feel the need to ride on public roads any more, on a sportbike at least. Last year I did end up buying back my old SV650 from the friend I sold it to a few years prior, and did a whole bunch of mods to it during the time I had it, but only put about 1000 street/track miles on THAT before selling it again. [The way I had set it up, it was in essence another sport bike.]

Fast forward to this month, and I'm getting that urge to have something two-wheeled again so I can tool around the backroads occasionally. I had pretty much sworn off sportbikes for riding on the street, so my candidate list of potential bikes was pretty focused on naked bikes. I considered another SV650 to turn into a streetfighter; a new Speed Triple ; and the 2007 Kawi Z1000.

Then it dawned on to me.....MOTARD! Supermotard, supermoto, whatever you want to call it. Dirt bike platform with street wheels/tires. Big in Europe, and starting to get big here again. (It originated here in the late 70s.) I've always wanted one, but never could pull the trigger.

Did a little research, and found out about the Husqvarna SM610.

Racing in its blood, but more streetable than its track-focused SMR450 and SMR510 siblings. And gobs more powerful than the Suzuki DRZ400SM even in stock form. Within a matter of days I made a few calls, found one, took a little drive, and hauled it back home.

Took it for its first real ride on a Saturday morning. My first "real" backroads ride in over 2 years, and a new bike....wasn't sure what to expect.

HOLY $HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thing is the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels on public roads, EVER. The thing is so light and flickable (compared to a sportbike) that despite its mere 50hp, I was able to negotiate our local twisties -- which tend to be rather technical in nature -- quicker and with greater confidence than ever before on either the RR or the SV. I am SOLD on this.

For freeway riding, as with most true motards (the exception being big motards like the KTM Supermoto 950), it's not ideal. It takes 6th gear at 5500rpm (2/3 of the way to redline) just to cruise at 70mph. It will barely get over 100mph. (Best I could do was 93mph against a moderate headwind.) But the point is not about outright speed. It's about fun, and it absolutely shines in this department. It gives you such a sense of "go-anywhere, do-anything" invincibility that you can truly get yourself into some serious $hit with this bike if you don't check yourself. :) Having said that, it's probably the most commute-worthy off-she-showroom-floor motard that you can buy right now (again, outside of the KTM), and the 6th gear is a godsend in that respect.

Can't wait to do my first trackday on this. $20 motard trackdays sure sounds a lot more appealing than the $150-$300 I pay for riding the big bike on the big tracks! ;) Don't get me wrong, I'm not handing in my AFM racing license anytime soon, but the Husky has truly added a new dimension to my riding, and this grin isn't coming off my face for a while. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
all i can say is wow - that bike looks awesome.. have fun and be careful! those things are getting really popular around here, i want one :)

·
Super Mod Wanna-be
3,168 Posts
It's cool. Looks kind of heavy though. How much it run you?

So do you ride it dirtbike style or streetbike style?

Also do I see rear pegs on there? I don't think I would want to ride 2-up on that platform.

I didn't know Husqy's were still around. My dad used to ride them back in the 70s/80s.

K

·
0 Posts
I can't see how that could off road...

that said, they are quite awesome. Wish i had one!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's cool. Looks kind of heavy though. How much it run you?

So do you ride it dirtbike style or streetbike style?

Also do I see rear pegs on there? I don't think I would want to ride 2-up on that platform.

I didn't know Husqy's were still around. My dad used to ride them back in the 70s/80s.
By pure race motards standards (which are typically built on platforms like CRF450s, etc.) yes it's heavy, at 320 lbs wet. But as a street-focused bike, weight is less critical.

In the twisties, I have been experimenting with riding it MX (foot out) as well as roadrace (knee out) style. I've been finding myself leaning toward MX-style, interestingly.

Yeap, those are rear pegs, and I agree, not really ideally suited to go 2-up on. ;)

Husky is now owned and manufactured by MV Agusta (Italy).

I can't see how that could off road...
Mild off-roading can be done with the right tires. Heck, supermoto races are 70% asphalt and 30% dirt!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sweet machine, have fun.

·
Hooked on Phonics
2,826 Posts
my buddy has that bike he let me ride it..... all i gotta say in congrats and im jelouse thats my next bike there a blast have fun and enjoy it

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
victory said:
congrats quasi!!! i love that husky! are you on supermotojunkie.com? im thinking about that SXV450...
Yeah I'm now on SMJ as well as Thumpertalk too. Speedzilla has a good motarding community as well.

The 'Priller SXV is SWEET! I saw one in person up here at Alice's (biker hangout in the Bay Area, not sure what part of CA you're from) a couple weekends ago. The thing is, that bike is not yet street legal here. The owner was definitely taking a gamble. Be prepared for some crazy service intervals too -- that bike is even more of a racebike than the Husky SMRs.

·
Administrator
51,153 Posts
Congrats man that is one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet Motard

·
Registered
360 Posts
definitelely know Alice's, not lately though... im right around fremont/union city.
i saw the SXV 450 & 550 at Scuderia west (SF) and fell in love!

-haha yeah i recently joined supermotojunkie, thumpertalk and dirtrider... im currently making a 144cc two smoke! in motard trim! street legal! cr144! should be done soon.

kinda like this,

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Awesome choice! After my friend got one a few months ago, I decided that the Husky 510 is going to by my next street bike.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mate of mine has the 05 450. Superb machine, though a downside of a highly strung motor like that is the level of maintenance required.

If I had spare dollars I'd buy a motard myself. Perhaps something like the DRZ to keep the maintenance down.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That video makes me want one so freakin bad!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts