Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I had an unfortunate run in with a pit bull a few weeks ago and the 954 was dead (so was the dog). Well I decided to go with the 600rr over the 1000rr for several reasons. The biggest one really was that I just didn't feel right on it, it feels very big to me in every way, length and width. Much bigger than the 954. Second I would take handling over power anyday. Third, for what I intend on doing with it 95% of the time (trackdays and some hardcore twisties thrown in ocassionally) a 600 is all I need. I did give the gixxer 750 a thought but couldn't get a good price in my area everyone wanted 10,500 otd and I got the 600rr for 7995$, that means more money for tires and trackdays and plus it's a honda. Could have got a good deal on the 750 but would have had to drive 19 hours to get it.
Well anyway let's get to the review. I picked it up on friday and got to take it out about 90 miles for some break in fun. This was after I took them dunlops off and put som pilot powers on for street duty and I set my sag. Well coming from a 954 I was pleasantly suprised at how quick these newer 600's are. Took her through some nice turns and some big sweeping off ramps and the handling difference between a 600 and a litre bike is night and day. I mean I thought and still think the 954 has very quick handling for a litre bike, not the most stable but quick, but it doesn't compare to this 600rr. It's like there is no effort what so ever to lean this thing and the front end is rock solid stable, unbelievable. Going around some of the big off ramps I felt like I could just step off the bike and it would just keep going in a circle by itself. The riding position is a little more aggressive than my 954, something I will get used to. Brakes felt good, didn't get a chance to really feel the performance and probably won't till I get her on the track. Gearing seems tall for a 600, but I happen to prefer my gearing to be on the taller side than shorter, even on the track. All in all I was pleasantly suprised and very happy. I didn't know how I would feel about going back to a 600 and losing alot of horsies, but I don't think it is going to bother me one bit for what I like to do. I can see why people like the bigger bikes for street riding because of the torque, but for the track and twisties I don't know why you would want anything other than a 600. I will be going to deals gap for about 4 days this week and will get more aquanted with her, and I will let you guys know some more of my thoughts later.
She will stay stock for now with the exception of braided lines. This winter will do ohlins shock and have dan do the forks for me. I want to get a better feel for the bike in stock trim this season and don't want to spend my track fund on after market goodies right now anyway. Sorry for the long post, hope you enjoyed and will give part 2 later. Great forum by the way. Honda people are just so different from others.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thats why im a honda fanatic and will always be a honda fanatic.

Yeah the yamahas, suzukis, and kawis are nice but nothing i've rode compared to how my RR handles... power is a different story but power is nothing without handling.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
BlueSti said:
Woo-Hoo!! I love reading stuff like that!
Me too. If you're not fond of the gearing you could always swap the sprockets that fit your preference perfect.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 on honda people - it's a different group of people. It seems like people that own honda's have actually done their research and aren't just buying what their friends own. I've actually had a chance to ride all the 600 bikes and wouldn't switch for anything. Handling, quality, and security can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Been a Honda auto owner for years so the Honda name for me was a no brainer. I also seriously looked at 1000s, but realized Id never even use the full potential of the 600 so the 1000 would be a waste.

I think a lot of guys get the 1000 to make up for a small wiener :toothy6:.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmr1 said:
Been a Honda auto owner for years so the Honda name for me was a no brainer. I also seriously looked at 1000s, but realized Id never even use the full potential of the 600 so the 1000 would be a waste.

I think a lot of guys get the 1000 to make up for a small wiener :toothy6:.

I can see why people want 1000's or bigger bikes with more torque for street riding, because you can be lazy and it's just easier to ride when you just want to putt around on the street. So to each his own of course, but I have to agree with you many people who purchase 1000's are unfortunately squids and can't ride worth a lick and I am not stating my opinion, I see with my own eyes, it's a fact. Unfortunately I think the real riders, meaning people who buy these bikes for what they are made for and not buy them for the pose or stunt factor heavily outnumber the backroad and trackday riders. We are surrounded by squids and they give us a bad name, but what are you gonna do about it, it's a free country. For sure, it seems like honda owners are different. Most of the squids and posers don't like honda's and that's a good thing as far as I am concerned. I believe they don't like honda's because the mags and posers tell them honda's are not the fastest and don't have the best top speed, so the squids can't have that. They want the fastest. Anyway sorry for the rant, just calling it like I see it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
unclepaulie said:
I can see why people want 1000's or bigger bikes with more torque for street riding, because you can be lazy and it's just easier to ride when you just want to putt around on the street. So to each his own of course, but I have to agree with you many people who purchase 1000's are unfortunately squids and can't ride worth a lick and I am not stating my opinion, I see with my own eyes, it's a fact. Unfortunately I think the real riders, meaning people who buy these bikes for what they are made for and not buy them for the pose or stunt factor heavily outnumber the backroad and trackday riders. We are surrounded by squids and they give us a bad name, but what are you gonna do about it, it's a free country. For sure, it seems like honda owners are different. Most of the squids and posers don't like honda's and that's a good thing as far as I am concerned. I believe they don't like honda's because the mags and posers tell them honda's are not the fastest and don't have the best top speed, so the squids can't have that. They want the fastest. Anyway sorry for the rant, just calling it like I see it.

Yeah i know what you mean. Im sorry to say but some of my friends dont like a honda sportbike because it didnt finish first in a magazine... haha.

oh well. To each his own is very true!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unclepaulie,

Where in St. Louis are you? I'm up in Overland. You don't sound like the average "squidworth" kid....very refreshing! We should hook up for a ride sometime, bro. PM me.

-SKI

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good choice on getting the 600. I much prefer the size and handling characteristics of the 600's over the 1000's. I too went to the 600RR after my 954(actually back to another 600RR). I'm on my 5th 600cc bike now and will most likely always own one. I do a lot of trackdays and the 600 shines in that environment. I even rode my buddies 954 for a few laps at my last trackday...no thanks I'll stick to the 600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts