Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine who has been off for more than 8 years now picked up a wicked deal today. Another friend of mine has a ZX9R 02 model he bought as a leftover last year. He had never owned a sport bike before so he no kidding put 247 miles on it, scared the hell out of himself, and put it in storage. The bike is not even broke in yet. Well he has decided he wanted an SUV and was getting rid of all of his extra stuff he had. He sold a basically brand new unbroken in ZX9R to my friend Jessie for 5 grand. Less than 300 miles, I couldn't believe it. Well Jessie has let his license expire and he didn't want to ride it home so he called me and asked me to bring it home for him, of course I agreed, its a new toy. Although I had ridden one about two years ago, it was at a bike show and I was not able to really get comfortable on the bike because I couldn't get up to any speed. All I can say is WOW, if you want a nice powerful bike for longer trips, this is the one. It has a nice low end although seriously I was dissapointed with the top end, maybe because it had been sitting for months and needed to be cleaned but regardless, the RR feels better. Handling was not up to par thanks to the 190 rear tire that is on there for the liter bike mines bigger so I need a bigger rear tire crowd. Although it was no terd, give me any curvy road and I will take my RR any day. Comfort though, dear God, I could not ask for more. This thing has by far the most comfortable seat I have ever been on. I could seriously ride it all day and not have a sore backside. The clipons aer high enough and the rear sets low enough that you can tell its not meant to be a full out racer but holy crap does it ride comfortably. If there is a required road trip from now on with the old lady, I am definately asking for this thing lol, I think it may end up being what I buy as a second bike since I want a larger ride for two up to make up for the loss in tq without having to gear my RR to a wheelie machine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
nice pics, whats the top speed of the zx9r? i had this "kid" the other day tell me he did a 178mph on his stock 2002, then after i raced him and took him off the line (skillz) i scratched my head and thought....wtf was he talking about and if he went that fast why is he still next to me.

C

·
0 Posts
Why does the RR LOOK better than every other bike I see? Guess I'm just biased. Must have been fun riding that beast though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, looks way better, and god does it handle better. Maz honestly, I don't think its any faster, the RR makes up every bit on the top end what the 9R could do on the low. I have heard Ricky Gadsen went high 9's with one stock but my buddy who owned on for more than a year never made it faster than 11.1 on his. He was also a riding SOB as well. The guy could yank the front end up at 70 and ride it well past 130 on his 9r anywhere you wanted him to. I really prefer the RR to it though, throttle responce and cornering ability makes up for every bit of bottom end the 9 can make. Its just more comfortable. Thats it.

·
Registered
998 Posts
maztheman said:
nice pics, whats the top speed of the zx9r? i had this "kid" the other day tell me he did a 178mph on his stock 2002, then after i raced him and took him off the line (skillz) i scratched my head and thought....wtf was he talking about and if he went that fast why is he still next to me.
You took him off the line? - You're right, that would be "skillz", but what does you taking him off th line have to do the bike's top end? :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
hrvat2 said:
maztheman said:
You took him off the line? - You're right, that would be "skillz", but what does you taking him off th line have to do the bike's top end? :headscratch:
He might have seen 178 on his speedo but that doesn`t mean he was going that fast. Speedo`s are usually off by a bit at those speeds, check the mags for a radar speed reading on that bike, my bet it it tops out at more like 170. The 600rr has been clocked at a little above 165 by some mags.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
cbrsexrr said:
slodsm, I don't understand the rear tire remark in your origional post, could you clarify?
I was wondering the same thing. That Kaw not handling as sharp as the 600rr has almost nothing to do with a 190 tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have never heard of a ZX9R being described as weak on the top end. Even when my 9 was stock, it flat ripped on the top end. My 9 made 140hp @ the wheel with just an exhaust. I seriously doubt even a good running piped RR could hang with a properly running 9.

I think the combination of it sitting for a year and not being broken in have a lot to do with it feeling weak.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me the bike had a much slower turn in and tended to drift out further in turns easier than the RR. I attributed it to the 190 just from hearing the R1 guys talk about the amazing difference in turn in and feeling when they went down to a 180 from a 190 tire. As for the top end, I agree, the fact it sat forever in a storage unit is what I attribute it to as well. Still like mine better though. :lol2:

·
Registered
222 Posts
how about i went to an 1/8th mile track a few weeks ago. My first time on a bike. My launches on my rr sucked. I did get to race a zx9 (don't know if it was an r or not) in my totally stock 03rr. He pulled way in front due to my poor launch. Then i noticed when i got into the power, that i was getting closer. when i hit 2nd i was right behind him and flew right by. After, the guy was like damn dude, that's a fast bike. Is that the new 1000rr. (black 03 with no stickers and black lowers.) I said ...... nope!
:twisted:

C

·
0 Posts
Slodsm, which one is you? Nice write up!
Handling was not up to par thanks to the 190 rear tire
"no help from the fat boy 190"
I think he means the 190 is not as fast in the turns like the 180 on his RR

that is on there for the liter bike mines bigger so I need a bigger rear tire crowd.
I think he means that liter bikes feel like they are on a totally different level compared to the wimpy 600's with small tires... And they should have 190's

1 - 12 of 12 Posts