Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so upon the purchase of my RR I asked the wife if she would like to learn to ride... So I get her out on a side street and begin to give her a run down of the basic controls along with how the work.. she get on it and very lightly lets off the clutch to coast along.. she stops decided it is to tall,Heavy, scary for her to do. Fair enough.. I tell her don't feel rushed into it you learn as you are ready to learn.. so fast foward to a couple weeks ago, we enter a dealer to look at Ninja 250's due to the fact that I convenced her they are narrower, Shorter, lighter, Slower.. she sits on it and falls in love.. So I begin to look at purchasing one and she comes up to me yesterday, and says hey.. I dont think I want a 250 anymore.. I want a 600... so now I am trying to make her see that even if she does get tired of the 250's power we can turn around and sell it for almost what we buy it for "especially if we buy used" but she is set in her own mind to learning on the 600 now lol So ... if I go to take her out to look at some 600's what 600 is female friendly ? "sport bike flavor"

·
Registered
116 Posts
why not look at the ninja500. its more powerful than the 250, but not quite a 600. my friend had one and loved it, great bike to really learn on. and since kawi remodeled both the 250 and 500, they look alot better. And if she gets the mod bug they make stuff for the 09's allready. Or, if she is insistant with a 600, why not a yamaha R6s? little slower than the r, but at the same time has its own power, and looks pretty clean too. the only thing is that R6s sit a little higher.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Take the 250 to a paint shop, have it done in a different color, put 600 decals on it, and have her continue learning on that. :crackup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tell her, "Man up, sweetheart." ^_^

I don't know. This is why I'm so happy to be married to a guy. Honestly, that kind of girlish indecision makes me crazy.

I think someone that doesn't want to learn how to drive a motorcycle properly has no business being on one. This might not be the right hobby for her.

The other way to do it is to have some girl chat with her. Sit down, really listen to her worries and really talk it out. Tell her your thoughts really openly. Ask her to compromise and try it a bit. She might work with you, depending on her personality.

Bri

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with making her take the course first if she can learn on that heavy cruiser then there shouldn't be a problem with a 600 and I second the R6 as well like a 03-05 model would be perfect sits lower and still screams

·
Registered
255 Posts
convince her on the 250... but if she wont have anything else other than a 600...

for a new bike... i think the yamaha FZ6R is probably among the more friendly 600s
and it doesnt look too bad either
Definitely get the FZ6R if she wants a comfortable bike that still has some decent power. I took my wife to the dealer a few months ago and she sat on one of those. By far the best fitting bike for her. She's pretty small too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife had the same problem when she wanted to start riding. She finally decided to get a ninja 650, they don't sell the 500 in California, and its styling still hasn't been updated yet. She likes it a lot, just need to get one of those lower seats for her.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts

friends girl just got one of these. ok for beginner.

my girl started out on a gs500 suzuki. now shes looking at a 600rr.

my mom started on a shadow 600, she was looking at a bandit 600 ( 650??)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Tell her, "Man up, sweetheart." ^_^

I don't know. This is why I'm so happy to be married to a guy. Honestly, that kind of girlish indecision makes me crazy.

I think someone that doesn't want to learn how to drive a motorcycle properly has no business being on one. This might not be the right hobby for her.

The other way to do it is to have some girl chat with her. Sit down, really listen to her worries and really talk it out. Tell her your thoughts really openly. Ask her to compromise and try it a bit. She might work with you, depending on her personality.

Bri
Volunteering?

·
Registered
463 Posts
If she "must" have a 600... Take her back out on yours and 1 of 2 things will happen:

1) She'll get scared and decide that a 600 is too much for her to handle as a first bike and you'll be able to get her into that used 250.

2) She'll dump your bike and give you a chance to cash in on the "You break it, you bought it" clause. Then you can sign your busted bike over to her and use HER cash to go buy something new for yourself!!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If she "must" have a 600... Take her back out on yours and 1 of 2 things will happen:

1) She'll get scared and decide that a 600 is too much for her to handle as a first bike and you'll be able to get her into that used 250.

2) She'll dump your bike and give you a chance to cash in on the "You break it, you bought it" clause. Then you can sign your busted bike over to her and use HER cash to go buy something new for yourself!!

Hope this helps
in a guys head u can think those options, cause that is what we all think, but mostly in the real world...if option 2 does become what happens...never seems to work out that way...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I second this choice if she is not willing on the 250. This is the Ninja 650 and I started on the 08 model. It is "bigger than a 600" but I found it more tame than the 600 supersport class bikes.
Don't get me wrong the 650 has a some decent power and can get you in trouble but the controls are a little more forgiving. The rider stance is more upright but can be adjusted easily with the bars from www.ninja650shop.com
They developed and manufacture "Sport Bars 2.0" for the Ninja 650R. I had a set and it made the bike feel better (easier turn in, lower stance on the highway made less wind buffeting also.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ever met a wife who wasn't? LOL

On a serious note: my wife rides an sv650. She loves it. Not intimidated at all.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

friends girl just got one of these. ok for beginner.

my girl started out on a gs500 suzuki. now shes looking at a 600rr.

my mom started on a shadow 600, she was looking at a bandit 600 ( 650??)
I personally would not recommend one of these 650r's. My buddy has one and he is 5'10" or so and has a lot of trouble touching the ground. he has to tip-toe it. Also when i rode the bike the back brake was very sensitive and i kept locking up the rear. this may not be as much as an issue for her if she is learning on it.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Give her your 600 and you can buy yourself a newer scoot!

Or just spank her a bit more and tell her a 250 is just fine :spank:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts