Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the short run down on the story. I am living in my rental property in college for another week and a half. Well my landlord couldn't seem to wait until we moved out to improve the house so he had his handy man and son start putting up the grey vinyl siding on the house. Well yesterday i noticed i got a nail in the rear tire of my bike, only has 2000 miles on it. It has to be from them doing a half ass job becaue they have crap laying everywhere and i know that is where the nail came from. Well my landlord was trying to get me to patch the tire, let the honda dealer do it, I told him i want a new one. My dad has been in the automotive business for 30 years and told me not to patch it, not a motorcycle tire, best to replace it. Guy at the shop told me it would be ok for casual riding, whatever that means. He is going to call me back when my landlord calls him with what he wants to do. What do you guys think????? :?:

P.S. I think somethign is in the water here, bad luck been happening to a lot of friends on bike, and no they weren't riding stupid

·
Registered
584 Posts
Well, Im my experiance. You can never really patch or plug one properly unless the puncture is dead center of the tire and then its still hit or miss. I did it to one tire and repaired it 3 times before giving up and just buying a new one. I would definately press for a new tire.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I agree with Jet, replace the tire.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah I had a nail in the dead center of my tire and I still replaced it. The tire also only had about 1500 miles on it. Make him replace it

·
Registered
353 Posts
He has to replace it. If it was my fault and my money, I'd just pull out the nail and keep riding. I use Ride On in all my stuff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been through 2 tires in two weeks. My mom has just moved to a new house and i have been helping her move. I have been there twice on my motorcycle and came back home with a nail in my tire each time. The first tire i had 600 miles on and the second i have 200. I will be replacing the tire tomorrow. Luckily this time i have motogaurd insurance from Cycle Gear in San Jose. You just pay 10% of what the tire costs and if you get a nail they replace it for free. You still have to pay to mount the tire though.

Construction companies should be liable for nails in tires when people start moving in to a brand new neighborhood. you can't be careless and just throw the nails around. My moms new neighborhood is almost done and I have had two nails and my moms boyfriend had two nails in his s2000. Its rediculous. Anyways, make sure you buy motogaurd insurance, its so worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
New tire no doubt about it..

What if your were riding and it you get another quick flat because the tired was not sealed right..Like a half ass job like the landlord is having done on your property..NEW TIRE!!!!

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Like MDK, I picked up a roofing nail in my back tire when the bike was a week old :evil: Piss me right the hell off... Luckily it entered the tire and bent over from me rolling over it so it ended up not going all the way in. I got lucky...
If it went through, I'd have replaced it. I only have two tires on the road so I wouldn't mess with it...

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Like MDK, I picked up a roofing nail in my back tire ( I live in a new area to) when the bike was a week old :evil: Piss me right the hell off... Luckily it entered the tire and bent over from me rolling over it so it ended up not going all the way in. I got lucky...
If it went through, I'd have replaced it. I only have two tires on the road so I wouldn't mess with it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
bought my bike 2 months ago, not even a week later found a 3 inch nail stuck in the back tire. I replaced mine because I rather spend the extra $150 to replace the tire than risk having the patch fail on me when I'm making a turn. I been telling my buddies that it was an act of punishment for me from above for the price I paid for on the bike! :cry: :cry:

As far as the issue w/ your landlord goes, I would push for a brand new tire. You had a holeless tire, you don't want a lousy patch, man!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I've ridden hard with a nail still in my rear tire for over four months, not recomending it though I thought I'd share my expperience. I plugged a front tire the other day and it still holds pressure very well. I'm replacing that one though because I allready have the tire to change it out with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts