Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to sign up for a BRC. I live in South Carolina. The BRC (locally in SC) costs $240. I can drive a short distance and be in North Carolina, where the course is $130 (something around that anyway).

I've gathered that sometimes taking the course will help insurance. Which I would like to take advantage of.

I do plan on contacting someone locally (dmv) about it, but I thought I'd get some others opinions first.

Do you think going to a different state would have an impact on the advantages of taking the course? Obviously, basics are the same regardless of state, but laws are different. Plus, do you think it would still enable a discount on my insurance? Or, for that matter, is the insurance discount even true?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Do you think going to a different state would have an impact on the advantages of taking the course? Obviously, basics are the same regardless of state, but laws are different. Plus, do you think it would still enable a discount on my insurance? Or, for that matter, is the insurance discount even true?

Thanks for the help.

no, i cant see difference in laws effecting advantages of the course

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd like to know this as well. Where about are you located sudsbear? I'm in Gaffney near the NC border.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Getting ready to sign up for a BRC. I live in South Carolina. The BRC (locally in SC) costs $240. I can drive a short distance and be in North Carolina, where the course is $130 (something around that anyway).

I've gathered that sometimes taking the course will help insurance. Which I would like to take advantage of.

I do plan on contacting someone locally (dmv) about it, but I thought I'd get some others opinions first.

Thanks for the help.
The basics are the same and shouldnt differ from state to state, especially being if its the MSF course itself. MSF is country wide and have a set book that they go by, you'll see what I mean when you take the riding portion. As far as I know by the way my instructor put it is that they're all relatively the same, going over the same material, just different in the teaching aspect. You may not get the rhyming patterns I got or anything, but should be the same :p

If it costs you $130 to take the course and you save $130 on insurance, sounds like you made out. While, yes, insurance does like that you take the course the BRC is generally very helpful. I do imagine you would get some type of discount, as even though its a requirement here in FL now, Im pretty sure you got a discount unless you were grandfathered in. In fact, I cant imagine why you wouldnt... but then again, insurance companies do as they please! Just talk to your agent :cruising:

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
I got a discount on my insurance for taking the course. I don't know how much it was, but I did get one.

After you take the BRC you can get the road portion of your license test waived just by showing the card. This is not always true though because some DMV workers are d bags and won't do it. But if you can pass the BRC then you can pass the riding test at the DMV. I live in SC as well so I know this from first hand experience.

Just like ampzz said, the course material is all the same no matter where you take it. The only difference would be the instructors.

I don't know if the course is available outside the DoD but MSF helped design a sport bike course for the military that is really good. I took that one as well and definitely felt more comfortable on the bike afterwards.

I highly recommend taking the BRC to everyone even if you have been riding for years.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It should not matter where you take the MSF Course. They are all the same with the exception of your instructors, but they are all certified to teach the course. When you get the MSF Certificate and personal card, it does not state where, it just says when you graduated. Good luck. Please use what they preach, it is useful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts