Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOO, I'm looking into purchasing my first jacket and am going with textile for now since it's Summer and I need a light jacket with armor. Going to eventually purchase a leather jacket when I get my own bike (riding 2-up for now with my buddy). My question is, I found a decent Shift women's textile jacket and wanted to know if that's a good brand. It's decently priced and fits fairly well BUT I want to make sure it doesn't wear and tear too quickly. I'm just not familiar with textile or SHIFT brand and have heard stories of jackets fraying quickly. I ride ALOT with my buddy since he's showing me the ropes so I want to make sure it's the right buy. I've been browsing for awhile: ICON, Astars, Joe Rocket etc and SHIFT is one of the first jackets I've tried on that has a comfy fit, isn't short (for some reasons girl jackets seem to wanna show off buttcrack or something), has lots of compartments, decent pricing and contains inner lining.

Any comments, feedback and expertise would be most appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Krystle

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
I've had a shift leather jacket for the last two years. Lasted through 2 crashes pretty well. It's just now starting to show some signs of wear. A few of the zipper handle things have broken off so I just replaced them with zip ties. No big deal.
The thing that is going to do the jacket in before too much longer is that the zipper is actually pulling away from the jacket at the bottom due to failing stitching. All in all I'd say it was a decent purchase though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback! Nice to know SHIFT makes jackets that'll keep you safe. I'm only hoping the textile SHIFT jacket will be somewhat decent compared to leather. Also, thanks for the zip tie trick. That'll definitely come in handy since I tend to go through zippers like crazy. Just crossing my fingers this jacket will be a good buy because I've been doing countless hours of research and it's difficult finding a women's jacket that actually fits well and provides protection and enough adds.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Thanks for your feedback! Nice to know SHIFT makes jackets that'll keep you safe. I'm only hoping the textile SHIFT jacket will be somewhat decent compared to leather. Also, thanks for the zip tie trick. That'll definitely come in handy since I tend to go through zippers like crazy. Just crossing my fingers this jacket will be a good buy because I've been doing countless hours of research and it's difficult finding a women's jacket that actually fits well and provides protection and enough adds.
Yeah I don't like my shift textile. Its fraying, fits weird, and the zippers are garbage. Probably won't go with them again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a shift textile that i wore for a full season untill i got my Leather ICON jacket. I loves it. It breathed well, gave Decent protection (about the best a textile can give) and i found it really comfortable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bkilm! That helps a lot. I'm actually going same route as you and getting a textile for now and saving up for my ICON leather jacket. I know there are TONS of textile jacket selections but I'm not a big fan of online shopping since my sizing is weird for women's. SOO, this SHIFT jacket is in stores, decent and I can phyiscally try it on before purchasing online. So knowing that it hasn't done you wrong, makes me happy.

THANKS A BUNCH!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know there are TONS of textile jacket selections but I'm not a big fan of online shopping since my sizing is weird for women's. SOO, this SHIFT jacket is in stores, decent and I can phyiscally try it on before purchasing online.
THANKS A BUNCH!
What i find the is easiest when i run into this problem is ill go to a few different shops. When you go there try on EVERY Brand. Then you go online to cyclesector or Sport bike track gear one of the many vendors on this site. check out what they have in your size, then you can send them a pm and see if they can hook you up with a little bit of a discount from the online price. Every vendor i have dealt with on this site so far has been VERY helpful and always willing to answer questions if you are polite and not annoying about it

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a Shift Air Avenger and I love it.
it didnt come in a small, but the Med is perfect for sleeve length
but a little big on my slim body.
I wear a backpack with chest and waist strap and that keeps things more snug.

2nd season in it so far

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What i find the is easiest when i run into this problem is ill go to a few different shops. When you go there try on EVERY Brand. Then you go online to cyclesector or Sport bike track gear one of the many vendors on this site. check out what they have in your size, then you can send them a pm and see if they can hook you up with a little bit of a discount from the online price. Every vendor i have dealt with on this site so far has been VERY helpful and always willing to answer questions if you are polite and not annoying about it
thanks for the great input and tips! Just sucks that there aren't many stores near me. Closest is Bert's Mega Mall and face it, they have a cruddy selection and not many women's jackets in stock. The next place is Chaparral Motorsports BUT I can't make it out there as often since I battle traffic Mon-Fri and weekends have been busy lately. BUT, I will definitely utilize your tips when I start considering my leather jacket. I figure for now a textile jacket is sufficient for Summer/light passenger riding. I just need a jacket so I won't have to wear my buddies jacket cuz it makes for one uncomfortable ride. Plus, would be nice to have my own jacket for when I purchase my first bike eventually that way I can get on the road asap hehehe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Shift Air Avenger and I love it.
it didnt come in a small, but the Med is perfect for sleeve length
but a little big on my slim body.
I wear a backpack with chest and waist strap and that keeps things more snug.

2nd season in it so far
Very nice jacket AND IT'S A SHIFT! Cool thanks for your input. I love taking into consideration the backpack because I never factored that into when I'll be wearing a jacket. That plays a lot into my purchase since if my backpack has the straps such as yours, I won't really have to worry about precise body fit. I really like that the sleeves are fairly long as is the body. Like I mentioned before in my post... for some reason, women's jackets are super short compared to men's. But I'm happy you are content with your SHIFT jacket and I think I'm going to buy my jacket today afterall.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I have a shift avenger and love it. held up great in a crash last year and im still wearing it. the only issue i have had is one of the shoulder pads coming loose but i think its just the way i put on the jacket. also their customer service is awesome. after my wreck last year i contacted them about the integrity of the pads in the jacket and they sent me a new set for free.

Reactions: twinkie_krys

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've had a shift leather jacket for the last two years. Lasted through 2 crashes pretty well. It's just now starting to show some signs of wear. A few of the zipper handle things have broken off so I just replaced them with zip ties. No big deal.
The thing that is going to do the jacket in before too much longer is that the zipper is actually pulling away from the jacket at the bottom due to failing stitching. All in all I'd say it was a decent purchase though.
Not jacking but you can take this to just about any dry cleaner and they will replace the zipper for about twenty bucks.

No shift jacket but my gloves and boots are shift brand and the quality is middle of the pack. The gloves have lasted two or three times as long as my first pair of joe rockets though... And of course it shows off your ass, we can't see much else in a tuck... ;)

GL with your search.

Posted with the motorcycle.com app on my Evo 4g.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My ex had a shift flare womens textile jacket I bought her. The initial quality was superb. The thing she mentioned she liked about the jacket more than anything was that there was an attachment to button a loop from the jacket to your pants to get rid ofthe "plumbers crack" effect most female cut jackets have. For protection on a budget, I think shift is a good starting point.

Reactions: twinkie_krys

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought a shift air avenger from stg and I love it . It flows a stupid amount of air. I don't know how well it crashes but so far it's great. Zippers are awesome they work everytime and are easy to hook without look (like if you had a helmet on.) I bought it and an icon jacket both the same price range and after I tried on the icon and the zipper failed while trying it on I sent it back. I also have a scorpion jacket it. It will really nice too. It's a lil warmer but I like the zipper on the sleeves ... Shift has velcro on the sleevees which is ok but I like the zipper. Other than that I don't think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your great input! I got the SHIFT jacket Friday after I got off work and tested it out over the weekend (even though it was hot as hell and I didn't even need a jacket at night). It vented very well and was comfortable enough when riding passenger. Didn't show off plumber crack and was just an overall great fit. I appreciate everyone's help with this topic and all the great input that aided in my decision. It'll definitely be a great jacket for when I get my own bike as comfort is 100% there. Also helped that I got the jacket instantly with a price match for $95 (jacket originally $120 on discount)!!!! Gotta love internet pricing and store's price match bonuses.

HAPPY RIDING!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.