Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll toss picture up in the next day or so but here's what happened: Got an oil change which involved an [apparently faulty] filter. Ride several blocks a car car pulls out quasi in-front of me so i move over. The bike drifts that one lane over. When i get to the next stoplight i look down and my tires (as well as the ground) are covered in oil. The filter had a small rip on the seal and leaked out through it but I'm still amazed that i kept the bike up... I have a bunch of pics on my bb and I'll update this thread tomorrow with them.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't go down.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Near miss? How could that be? Not to be particularly anal, but you actually meant near hit, right? Cause if it was a near miss, you wouldve already been down :wave:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Near miss? How could that be? Not to be particularly anal, but you actually meant near hit, right? Cause if it was a near miss, you wouldve already been down :wave:
He is using the term correctly. Near miss is usually used when talking about planes. Meaning they were near to each other but missed. He means he was close to a wreck(near) but didn't (miss). Not to be particularly anal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is using the term correctly. Near miss is usually used when talking about planes. Meaning they were near to each other but missed. He means he was close to a wreck(near) but didn't (miss). Not to be particularly anal.
You're correct

·
Registered
728 Posts
He is using the term correctly. Near miss is usually used when talking about planes. Meaning they were near to each other but missed. He means he was close to a wreck(near) but didn't (miss).
That makes sense, but what about when George Carlin uses it!? If you havent seen that skit, you got to. Maybe it makes sense coming out of his month. Hell, everything made sense coming out of his mouth!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Says Wiki:

A near miss is an unplanned event that did not result in injury, illness, or damage - but had the potential to do so. Only a fortunate break in the chain of events prevented an injury, fatality or damage. Although human error is commonly an initiating event, a faulty process or system invariably permits or compounds the harm, and should be the focus of improvement. Other familiar terms for these events is a "close call", or in the case of moving objects, "near collision".

But I'm glad all turned out ok, oily tires could'a ended up pretty bad

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
not good....................

·
Registered
470 Posts
That makes sense, but what about when George Carlin uses it!? If you havent seen that skit, you got to. Maybe it makes sense coming out of his month. Hell, everything made sense coming out of his mouth!!!
I was just busting your balls. I thought of George Carlin right away too. I usually do when some one says "near miss".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts