Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well my first mistake was getting a bike in my name for a friend of mine. I just recently found out that he didn't have a driver's license, nor does he have insurance. I flipped out and told him he better get all over it. he said he would but I knew it was too late.

Yesterday he was pulled over and arrested. The bike was impounded and has to sit for 30 days. I know I tottaly screwed up but getting him the bike in the first place, but what kind of repercussion will come upon me for all of this? I'm just freakin pissed at myself at the moment.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
dude you screwed yourself big time talk to a lawyer bro

voluntery repossesion & bad credit is way better than a dead friend
a demolished bike and a loan to pay back and a lawsuit for liability in case he kills some one or damages their property

·
Registered
418 Posts
ur toasted. . . sorry to hear. your insurence will shoot through thee roof. and your ganna get tossed around in some bullcrap leagal battles for the next 2 years.

sorry to hear, but we learn from our mistakes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
don't quote me on this. . .

In MA i think If the bike was in my name it would have to be insured by me. And if it was insured by me and I let someone ride it the would have to have my 100% permission to do so. . . so if this happened to me I would claim that my buddy did not have permission to ride it. . . therefore making it stolen. . and therfore I/You wouldn't get in trouble. I don't know if u HAVE to have insurance in Ca but u do here in Ma. If it isn't insured then it can't be registered and if it isn't registered and u ride it and get caught. . .ur effed.

C

·
0 Posts
600lover said:
Ok, well my first mistake was getting a bike in my name for a friend of mine. I just recently found out that he didn't have a driver's license, nor does he have insurance. I flipped out and told him he better get all over it. he said he would but I knew it was too late.

Yesterday he was pulled over and arrested. The bike was impounded and has to sit for 30 days. I know I tottaly screwed up but getting him the bike in the first place, but what kind of repercussion will come upon me for all of this? I'm just freakin pissed at myself at the moment.
Nothing. your bike is impounded because another driver was driving it. He will be charged for not having insurance, license. You just need to show id and proof of registration to get the bike out (and cough up $) Don't drive it cause you could get pulled over. Just make sure the bike has insurance before it's on the road. Your buddy is screwed.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
well. . . in my opinion I think you should be ok. . . i think in my state i might have to tell them that he didn't have permission to ride it. . . but I would say that the majority of the punishment will be on ur buddys head. . .

And please. . . for the rest of us law abiding citizens. . . don't do that again. . .

good luck and welcome ot the site.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Your insurance shouldn't go up. Yes it is your vehicle, but insurance wasn't involved. I.e. it didn't cost them anything. Your buddy is screwed. If asked, say that he took it, knowing it wasn't insured, and that he didn't have permission. It will be treated like a stolen vehicle, and he will take the brunt of the punishment. Call me mean but your buddy is a [email protected]$$ and deserves what is coming.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Nothing. your bike is impounded because another driver was driving it. He will be charged for not having insurance, license. You just need to show id and proof of registration to get the bike out (and cough up $) Don't drive it cause you could get pulled over. Just make sure the bike has insurance before it's on the road. Your buddy is screwed.
make sure your buddy coughs up the cash to get the bike out. if the towing/storage charges arent paid for they keep the bike, and you keep the payment responsibility. Its not going to be cheap either-its like $100/day or some rediculous thing when you're vehicle gets impounded. I've never heard of a mandatory 30 day impoundment, but that doesnt mean anything...

·
Registered
428 Posts
when i got my first bike i was twenty years old living at home. My mom didnt was me to get the bike so i hid it from her at a friends. My first week riding it i got pulled over...no insurance...no drivers license. The officer gave me my court date in the mean time i got my insurance but still no license, i went to court showed the insirance and a permit and told him i was still learning. My fine was only 120 bucks, my insurance did not go up. I dont think you need to sweat too much, it seems all work out. Those types of tickets i believe are classification tickets as oppose to moving violations which dont wiegh too heavy on the record good luck

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
+1. Call the PD that impounded it and see what kind of form you'll need to get it from the impound yard, if any. Then go to the yard, pay up, and get your bike back, ASAP. impound fees acrue per day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I spoke to my Insurance agent last week and she was telling me that riding without insurance in CA is a fine of 1200-1500 (cant remember exactly so dont qoute me).

Since your friend is already screwed, I would just do what has already been suggested and say it was stolen, the only thing about that is, you might loose a friend AND have to take responsibility of the payments since it is in your name. Don't let ANY time lapse and GET YOUR BIKE OUT OF THE IMPOUND A.S.A.P! If you gotta wait the 30 days, be there the 30th on the dot. If you don't want the bike, sell it to get that badboy off of your name and then figure out a way to get your friend to pay you back all the FINES you will be paying. You're gonna pay the impound some major cash for those 30 days.

I have friend that works for the tow companies for the police. He got a sweet Ducati from some guy who had his bike impounded for 30 days (think he was speeding excessively or something). The fee's were outrageous, so the guy asked what would happen if he didn't pay. They told him, the bike would be sold at an auction and he could get it back that way if he wanted. The dumb A** listened and figured he would save some major cash doing it that way. What they DIDN'T tell him was that, employees of the tow co/impound get first dibs on anything before going to auction. So my friend put up 2k for the Duc and it was his without it even seeing the auction floor and the owner was S.O.L. So the point of the story is, Get your bike out of the impound ASAP at whatever costs and don't let them fool you into thinking you have a chance at getting it back at an auction.

Live and learn. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Best advice. Contact a laywer, much as I dislike them, they know about legal issues. I know it's not what you want to hear, but trust me on this, when it comes to legal issues, a lawyer is going to know more than a bunch of guys on a web forum. We all have had some experience with the law over the years, but a lawyer is better prepared for this kind of situation, plus when something goes wrong (and something will) you have a lawyer on your side. That's a much better back-up than, "I took the advice of 600rr.net forum members." If you have to talk to a judge, what's going to be a better argument? You screwed up earlier, make the smart decision now and bail your arse out.

C

·
0 Posts
Calling a lawyer is taking the advice of a 600rr.net forum member. Best bet is to call the police department that impounded the vehicle and find out what's going on and then call the DMV if needed (I doubt it) Save the $100+ your going to get charged by a lawyer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, not being 100% sure about Cali law, this is what I'd have to say about it....

First, you weren't driving, there was no accident - therefore, no insurance problems...

Second, again you weren't driving - no criminal problems...

Third, a bike in your name is in impound... I'd pay to get it out as quick as possible, otherwise they'll be looking for you to foot the bill for storage fees...

Last, the bike is in your name - regardless of what you buddy wants to do with it, either sell it to him or take it out, sell it, and give him what he's paid into it if possible....

Oh yeah, I don't think I'd personally bother with a lawyer, because in the end, it'll cost you way more for the lawyer just as a retainer fee than it would to sort this small mess out yourself... now if there was a lawsuit involved, it'd be a different story...

As always, check with State and local laws before you take this absolute truth... I know in Georgia, you'd have no problems doing the above...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You will be fine. Take proof of insurance to the impound lot when you pick up your bike. You won't be able to leave without it. The bike is yours, SELL IT. The only thing you have to worry about is who made the payments. If it is in your name but your buddy made the payments he/she may take you to small claims court. Sell the bike give him/she what they paid on it and cut your losses.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Man are you in a bad place. You need to protect yourself because obviously your buddy won't. After the 30 days retrieve the bike, sell it and pay off any expenses and the loan. If you want to keep it for yourself then all you need to do is get it insured. If you allow your buddy to get back on that bike and he gets into an accident theres an extremely high possibility you will also be sued.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
cvlighthouse said:
Calling a lawyer is taking the advice of a 600rr.net forum member. Best bet is to call the police department that impounded the vehicle and find out what's going on and then call the DMV if needed (I doubt it) Save the $100+ your going to get charged by a lawyer.
+1 again. this is cali law. if you were not driving nor a passenger during this instance, then you can get the bike, as long as you are the registered owner, which i am assuming you are, given your concerns. unless there is more to the story, but a doubt that.

no need for a lawyer, just call the pd to see if there are any necessary forms to fill out to retrieve from impound. then call the impound lot and make an appointment to pick up the bike. then go pay them, with DL and registration, and get your bike. whether you drive it home is up to you, with it being without insurance.

(California Vehicle Code Section 14607.6, para.c(5): If the driver of a vehicle impounded pursuant to this subdivision was not a registered owner of the vehicle at the time of impoundment... the vehicle shall be released pursuant to this code and is not subject to forfeiture.)

(further in the same code: Any owner of a vehicle who suffers any loss due to the impoundment or forfeiture of any vehicle pursuant to this section may recover the amount of the loss from the unlicensed, suspended, or revoked driver.----this means you still have to pay the impound, but you are covered by law to recoup these moneys from your buddy, in court if need be.)

pretty sure this is the vehicle code that covers this type of thing, as it is specifically worded for impoundment of vehicle where the driver of said vehicle does not have a valid license.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts