Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need some help here everyone. I need to know if -1/+3 is uncomfortable for the canyons/track or if it's me. I was in a very bad crash almost a year ago, and Im trying to get back on slowly. I bought another bike ('08 600rr) while Im rebuilding my '07, and it came with the -1/+3 compared to stock on my last bike. I can expect my nerves to be shot when it comes to riding for a while, but when I come up to any turn now, it just feels sketchy. My chicken strips are huge (non existent before the crash), I cant even imagine dropping my knees, and I feel like I can slide out with a tap of the throttle.

I know it's a little vague, and of course people deal with stress differently, but I just want to know if any of you have run with -1/+3 for anything other than wheelie bikes. Is it me, or is it the bike that just feels wrong? I already have a 520 -1/+2 kit just sitting on a shelf that I was going to install before my crash, so Im wondering if I'll eventually adapt to the torque increase once my nerves and mentality heal, or if I should just keep the sprockets stock.

Thanks everyone

·
Premium Member
51,156 Posts
1.Do not let your wrist be the decision maker use your brain and proper judgement .

2.Forget about the accident its all in the past let the gremlins out of your noggin

3. Ride positive and that is not an easy task to accomplish before your turn that
key on and hit that starter promise yourself to come home safe then work on making it happen

4. If during your ride you catch yourself acting dumb right away pull over shut the bike
off and think about your stupidity smack your face a few times if you have too instead
of getting smacked and abused by the pavement

5. The mods on the bike should not dictate how your ride your are the boss and the decision maker not the bike

6. Ride to live not live to ride remember this quote & best of luck

Reactions: Hanzo

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
1.Do not let your wrist be the decision maker use your brain and proper judgement .

2.Forget about the accident its all in the past let the gremlins out of your noggin

3. Ride positive and that is not an easy task to accomplish before your turn that
key on and hit that starter promise yourself to come home safe then work on making it happen

4. If during your ride you catch yourself acting dumb right away pull over shut the bike
off and think about your stupidity smack your face a few times if you have too instead
of getting smacked and abused by the pavement

5. The mods on the bike should not dictate how your ride your are the boss and the decision maker not the bike

6. Ride to live not live to ride remember this quote & best of luck
quoted for truth! well said moe.

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you were riding to get rid of chicken strips in the first place, then that could have been why you crashed...

Coming back after a crash isn't easy. Just take it slow and ride your own ride. Don't let any peer pressure dictate how fast you ride. If you only feel comfortable going 10mph through a corner, then go 10mph.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys.

First off, I did NOT ride just to get rid of the strips. I crashed because a harley lost control around a turn, and hit me. I was just using that as an example as to how much my performance has declined.

and to clarify my question a bit further, I know I am 99% of the factor, but Im just wondering if the gearing can also be to blame. Is -1/+3 too much for tight canyon turns? I know Im not being perfectly clear, because there are so many variables, but like I said, I just feel sketchy going around the "same turn" that I would be fine with a year ago.

Taking into consideration torque, and engine braking, should I stick with -1/+3, or stock gearing, or do you feel I will eventually adapt to either once my nerves calm?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chicken strips are the patches of untouched rubber on the outer portions of your tires. The more you lean, the less they exist. And -#/+# is referring to the gearing or sprocket size in the both front and back of your chain

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Chicken strips = unused portion on the edge of someones tire. And the -1/+3 is referring to gearing as in -1 tooth in the front and +3 teeth in the back.

Hey guys forgive my ignorance but what are chicken strips in biker terminology!!!! And what is he referring when he says -1/+3????

Thanks

Moe couldn't of worded it any better. Best of luck with getting back in the swing of things man. Definitely something that will take some time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
207 Posts
Chicken strips are how much tire you have left before you reach the tire wall... the amount of tire that is "unesed"...-1/+3 means going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket and adding 3 on the rear. This causes more torque and less top end and if you reverse the numbers it will have the opposite effect.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nothing wrong with that gearing for those conditions. In fact, that's pretty damn good gearing for tight, technical riding. If you're worried about it, kick it up a gear or two to drop the RPM's

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Your nerves are def getting the best of you. Its understandable.

Chicken strips ARE NOT implying your performance "declines." As a matter of fact, some argue that as your performance/ experience gets better, you will have more chicken strip because your bike is leaning less.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.