Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 F4i that doesn't want to start.

I was at Summit last weekend for Sunday and Monday track days. When I got to the track I pulled the fuse for the headlight, took of my mirrors and taped. Ran both track days w/o a single problem. At the end of the day on Monday, I put the headlight fuse back in, checked to make sure all lights and signals were operating properly and they were, took the tape off, put the mirrors back on, topped off the gas and rode around the paddock for a couple of minutes before loading the bike on the trailer.

When I got home, I rolled the bike off the trailer and in to the garage and didn't go back to it until this past Sunday when I wanted to go for a ride, only to find that the bike would crank but not turn over, and eventually, not crank at all.

I tried unsuccessfully to jump the bike with cables connected to my truck (it WAS NOT running). I got a slight charge to the batt, but after trying several times the bike wouldn't start and eventually the engine flooded.

I ordered a new batt and plugs. Picked them up today. Put the batt in first, engine cranks but does not turn over. Next, with the help of a friend, we pulled the lowers off, moved the radiator out of the way and pulled the plugs. They were saturated and definatly fouled, no doubt from repeated attempts to get the bike started. Put in the new plugs, tripled checked to make sure the coils were in properly, put the radiator back in place and tried to start the bike. Still nothing!!!! Pulled all the fuses, including the main and the FI, just to be 100% sure they weren't blown, no problems there. Again, tried to start the bike and it would only crank.

I'm completely frustrated and at my wits end and just wanted to throw all my tools on the ground in a temper tantrum :lol2:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
20 Posts
im not sure if this works for fuel injected bikes but on my old kawi i use to hold the throtle wide open for 5 seconds then twist it like thre times then try to turn it over

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just take it to the bike shop. You are buying parts you don't need and wasting time.

I just work a few hours OT to pay the man and spend more time riding.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had.

I have a 1996 CBR900RR and after a few sessions at VIR South track day, when I went to start it, it sounded like the battery was dead. The thing was that the battery is brand new. I took it to my mechanic when I got home and he knew right away what it was. Apparently ALL CBR's from the F2's on up to the 954's have bad rectifier regulators; the device that converts AC power to DC power. Sure enought, mine was fried like the Colonel's Chicken. He got me a better after market brand (that was cheaper than stock) and I was up and running.

I'd check that first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Sounds like the same problem I had.

roncbr900 said:
I have a 1996 CBR900RR and after a few sessions at VIR South track day, when I went to start it, it sounded like the battery was dead. The thing was that the battery is brand new. I took it to my mechanic when I got home and he knew right away what it was. Apparently ALL CBR's from the F2's on up to the 954's have bad rectifier regulators; the device that converts AC power to DC power. Sure enought, mine was fried like the Colonel's Chicken. He got me a better after market brand (that was cheaper than stock) and I was up and running.

I'd check that first.
Thanks for info Ron!

I still have a warranty on the bike, so hopefully the rectifier will be covered (I can only hope).

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
An old trick I know is to pull the plug (w/ the plug wire on it) and ground the end on the head next to the plug hole while your buddy turns the motor over (ignition on). You can see if the plug is firing correctly and atleast eliminate that as an issue or help to steer you in the right direction. If the plug is firing a yellow or orange color you've got issue with the amount of voltage being supplied. It should be a nice pretty lightning blue. :mrgreen:

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts