Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lowsided on a round about and got minor damage on bike. Anyone have any recommendations of how I can fix this up nicely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Get yourself a DA sander, sand the area well, low to high grit, and shoot with layers of high build primer, wet sand till completely smooth. Paint! Wet sand!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,856 Posts
replace the panels.

the side panel has vinyl on it. you won't be able to fix that with paint. you'll have to remove the vinyl, sand, fill, reshape, repaint, then put new vinyl on

the tail has a fair amount of material removed, so you'll again be doing sanding, filling, shaping, painting.

last of all, the paint is pearl white. the best painters on the planet can't match pearl white perfectly. you'd have to blend the **** out of it (paint a large area feathering it out), again which is something only very skilled painters can do well

given you even asked the question, whatever you try yourself is likely to look like a bag of assholes. just put those panels on ebay and buy new ones. if you want your bike to be beautiful it's your best option

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
replace the panels.

the side panel has vinyl on it. you won't be able to fix that with paint. you'll have to remove the vinyl, sand, fill, reshape, repaint, then put new vinyl on

the tail has a fair amount of material removed, so you'll again be doing sanding, filling, shaping, painting.

last of all, the paint is pearl white. the best painters on the planet can't match pearl white perfectly. you'd have to blend the **** out of it (paint a large area feathering it out), again which is something only very skilled painters can do well

given you even asked the question, whatever you try yourself is likely to look like a bag of assholes. just put those panels on ebay and buy new ones. if you want your bike to be beautiful it's your best option

I put this random white touch up pain I had on it and it actually doesn’t look bad at all to be honest. Also I’ll probably buy monster fairings end of season and use these as spares

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,856 Posts
See this is where personal standards come into play.

That looks like pure dogvom to me. If my bike was clean before and I damaged it like that, there's no way in hell I'd be ok with that.

But if you're good with it then so be it.

Did you price out oem replacements? They may not be as expensive as you think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See this is where personal standards come into play.

That looks like pure dogvom to me. If my bike was clean before and I damaged it like that, there's no way in hell I'd be ok with that.

But if you're good with it then so be it.

Did you price out oem replacements? They may not be as expensive as you think.

I’m going to buy monster fairings and keep my oems and spares. Going with this.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,856 Posts
again, it all boils down to expectations.

for the price of your monster fairings you could likely replace your damaged panels and keep an oem quality set.

there are a LOT of really terrible products with great reviews because the buyer either didn't care about quality or had no idea what a quality product even looked like.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
lots of known results with auctmarts, who IS a sponsor on the site......

I'd replace the damaged 2 parts with OE and put a set of auctmarts fairing on....

how's that for compromise?

·
Registered
97 Posts
+1 for panel replacement for the side panel. I dropped my 2012 - very low speed, one panel damaged like yours. The sticker was $100 or $150 less than the panel with the stickers. I fixed the panel and had it perfect but the color didn't agree with the primer and factory paint and it looked really bad. I had a couple of spots on the tank cover (red) and tried to fix them - spent many hours putting paint on and sanding off - yes wet sanding but trying to get it perfect then oops Im thru! Finally I got it descent and put some spray can clear coat on. It wiped off with the rubbing compound when I tried to blend it! An absolute nightmare, bought a can of SprayMax 2K clear coat and sprayed the whole tank. It worked perfectly!!! I had a couple of minor places with a bit of orange peal but wet sanding and polishing and it looked perfect! SprayMax 2K is great stuff but need to be very careful using and read the caution labels. You mentioned roundabout, if in the UK it may not be available.

After I got the bike looking perfect sold it to a dealer so I could buy a van to haul my Kawasaki. Then I traded the Kawasaki for a BMW sport touring bike (F800GT). Now I have a van, a trailer and a motorcycle but the motorcycle won't fit on the trailer - a bit too long. I should have just kept the CBR and left the fairing and gas tank alone. Now I have a nice BMW with a VERY boring engine but its good for long trips but no great sports bike.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Just friggin live with it. You're riding an engine. All the panels are going to get scuffed anyway. It's fine. It's lunchbox grade plastic. Put a bandaid on it and go on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1 for panel replacement for the side panel. I dropped my 2012 - very low speed, one panel damaged like yours. The sticker was $100 or $150 less than the panel with the stickers. I fixed the panel and had it perfect but the color didn't agree with the primer and factory paint and it looked really bad. I had a couple of spots on the tank cover (red) and tried to fix them - spent many hours putting paint on and sanding off - yes wet sanding but trying to get it perfect then oops Im thru! Finally I got it descent and put some spray can clear coat on. It wiped off with the rubbing compound when I tried to blend it! An absolute nightmare, bought a can of SprayMax 2K clear coat and sprayed the whole tank. It worked perfectly!!! I had a couple of minor places with a bit of orange peal but wet sanding and polishing and it looked perfect! SprayMax 2K is great stuff but need to be very careful using and read the caution labels. You mentioned roundabout, if in the UK it may not be available.

After I got the bike looking perfect sold it to a dealer so I could buy a van to haul my Kawasaki. Then I traded the Kawasaki for a BMW sport touring bike (F800GT). Now I have a van, a trailer and a motorcycle but the motorcycle won't fit on the trailer - a bit too long. I should have just kept the CBR and left the fairing and gas tank alone. Now I have a nice BMW with a VERY boring engine but its good for long trips but no great sports bike.

Any idea where I can order oem fairings in the same pearl white? I’m in Canada and can’t find anything. Would the us have it?

·
Registered
621 Posts
When I had similar damage on my rear cowl, I purchased a second hand OEM one on eBay. Take a look and see what's available.
They're probably never going to be mint condition if used, but I could live with a few small scuffs compared to a massive patch of damage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just friggin live with it. You're riding an engine. All the panels are going to get scuffed anyway. It's fine. It's lunchbox grade plastic. Put a bandaid on it and go on.
+1 to this guy. Nice job with that touch up paint. You spend more time on repairs than I do haha. My brother scraped off some of the black striping on mine and I've been touching it up with permanent marker :)

Obsessing about trivial stuff is a rich man's forte.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts