Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok... I put my stock exhaust/headers back on last nite... everything was going great, i was in the zone until that one last header... one of the studs (there are 2 studs per header), broke off while i was tightening it and tried putting the other side and the hole for the other stud is stripped too...so i sad "oh f*ck"... tried to take it off with visegrips but it wouldnt budge, its in there pretty solid... im getting irritated now... tried again, a couple of friends even tried it but still wouldnt budge... so i just told myself, f*ck it, i'll deal with that later...so at this point, im already pissed at myself for breaking the stud but i got myself to calm down and finish the rest of the bike, the exhaust part, fairings, etc... finished all that - got everything put on, cleaned the garage, etc... tried going to sleep (its already 1 am)... couldnt sleep coz im trying to figure out wtf i did and how am i supposed to fix it... woke up at 7 am, went back to my bike and tried again with the same visegrip... no budge... so at this point, im really really upset.... so i called a local motorcycle shop... they said, they can do it and get it off for about $40-45 so i said cool... called monks01 (from this board) so he can ride it...
turned the bike on - jus fyi... you can hear the major exhaust leak coming from that one header... so we were like ok... we can still ride it but theres just gonna be a major lag... monks rode my bike and when he tried shifting to 2nd, bike just died and it wont start anymore... pushed the bike back to the garage (good think he stalled about 100 ft away from the house)... checked everything, and looks like everything is in place but it still wouldnt start... checked again and the only thing we can think about is that one header with the leak...

here is my question... would a major exhaust leak from the block cause the bike to not start???
so now, im calling on TRAVIS to haul my bike to quincey

thanks...

sorry, kinda long...

·
Ya'll betta RECKOGNIZE!!!!
2,926 Posts
i dont think the exhaust leak from the header will kill the bike like that...

sounds like a different problem... if it doesnt turn over that sounds like either some switch got tripped from the exhaust leak (not sure if the 600RR has anything like that) or a starter/battery problem....

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Was the bike backfiring? Did he use the engine brake when he tried to ride it? I know that running it with an exhaust leak so close to the valves will burn wholes in them. The problem is when the hot engine sucks in some cold air and "BANG" it back fires! Not too gooood! Haul it over to the shop and don't try to crank it again. Paying this guy $100.00 is worth it to find out what your up against instead of doing more damage.

Tim

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok... edited my post... it didnt die totally - it turns over but it doesnt start anymore after it stalled... talked to a couple of friends who are mechanically inclined and they said, it could possibly be the loss of compression because of the leak...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts