Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put an anchor mount into the cement and now I am going to get a security chain. I read that you should thread the chain through the frame, but I don't see anywhere on my bike to do this. Should I thread the chain through the rear tire? What is the most secure way to chain my bike up? Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Get a really long chain, and go through the rims, frame, and forks. It'll scare people off.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My vote would be through the swingarm. Any more than that is a hassle to put on and take off and will not make the bike any more secure. If someone is going to steal it by cutting the chain you gain nothing by weaving through every nook and cranny on the machine.

D

·
0 Posts
My vote would be through the swingarm. Any more than that is a hassle to put on and take off and will not make the bike any more secure. If someone is going to steal it by cutting the chain you gain nothing by weaving through every nook and cranny on the machine.
But it can help deter them as they would have to spend much more time cutting the chain to get every piece of the bike free. Cutting one chain and throwing it in the back of a truck may take 30 seconds, but if you have to cut chains for the frame, wheels, swingarm, and forks, the time needed goes up with the chance of them getting caught.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats valid if you are using more than 1 closed loop of chain. You said just get one long chain and weave it though all the holes you can find. You only have to cut a sinlge loop of chain once, and the chain can then be pulled through all the areas you weaved it through in the first place. To make it more secure, you would need a couple loops of chain. On top of that, using only 1 lock to close each loop is pointless since a would be thief need only bust the lock instead of cutting the chain. Bottom line, the number of individual closed loops is the number of chains needed to be cut, doing all the weaving on a single chain won't help. I would just get full coverage or an alarm(preferably both)

D

·
0 Posts
Thats valid if you are using more than 1 closed loop of chain. You said just get one long chain and weave it though all the holes you can find. You only have to cut a sinlge loop of chain once, and the chain can then be pulled through all the areas you weaved it through in the first place. To make it more secure, you would need a couple loops of chain. On top of that, using only 1 lock to close each loop is pointless since a would be thief need only bust the lock instead of cutting the chain. Bottom line, the number of individual closed loops is the number of chains needed to be cut, doing all the weaving on a single chain won't help. I would just get full coverage or an alarm(preferably both)
It's possible to make more then 1 closed loop with one long chain. I used to do it all the time.

D

·
0 Posts
If I had a camera I'd take a picture of how it can be done. It's fairly simple.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you get the chance I would like to see how you accomplish it. I personally have never done it, but I am an engineer and just doesnt seem to agree with my logic. Either way, to get back on topic, I would still recommend full coverage if the origional poster doesnt have it. If you can afford a 7k bike, you should be able to afford the insurance as well.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you get the chance I would like to see how you accomplish it. I personally have never done it, but I am an engineer and just doesnt seem to agree with my logic. Either way, to get back on topic, I would still recommend full coverage if the origional poster doesnt have it. If you can afford a 7k bike, you should be able to afford the insurance as well.
and being an engineer makes you an expert in chain application?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Instead of cutting me down for putting my opinion out there, how about contributing your ideas. I am by no means claiming to be an expert of chain application and I figured you would see my comment of "I have never done it personally" as a qualification of my thoughts as opinion only.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Theres no way. You cut it once, and "unthread" it. Simple as that.
I agree. The only way I see it can be done with just one chain is to use MULTIPLE locks. Even then, if you're able to just cut the lock or link securing the chain to say an anchor in the ground, then that makes the other loops on the bike useless.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Demented is right in that you could make several loops with one chain using multiple locks so that the chain cant be de-threaded quickly but if it is only ancored at one point you would just need to cut the chain there and take the rest out later when they are somewhere they can work on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, so I put the chain through the swingarm and locked it to the cement anchor. I have xena disc lock on the front disc and I have a U- lock through the rear tire. I also have a Cover. When I am home I park my truck up close to the bike. The bike is behind a wall so you cannot see the bike from the street. Hopefully this will make any theives think twice. I also have full coverage insurance just in case.
Thanks for all your helpful advice!:five:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts