Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 04 600rr and I think I need to set the suspension up! Im a small guy weighing in at 160 and 5'6" I no just about nothing about suspension or what to adjust! I have tried to read a few things on here but I guess I need the book setting my bike up for dummies! I can do anything on a car but I know nothing about bikes. please help me.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alaska cajun said:
This will at least help you know what's what untill someone can give you better directions.

http://600rr.us/suspension.html

This was very helpful now atleast I know what everything is! now I just need to know the setting I guess. I only street ride and I dont do anything crazy. maybe just a few 145 mph blast.

thanks
Ryan
keep the info coming!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Get either books: "total control" or "101 sportbike performance projects". They have whole sections about setting up your suspension. Basically, set your pre load first, then adjust rebound and compression to your liking. you'll also need 2 friends.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum man!

If the bike has more than 6k miles on it have the fork fluid replaced. Then try these on for size....

I weigh about 165lbs without gear.
Front:
Pre-load: 2nd or 3rd line with 1 or 2 lines showing. (3/4" to 1-1/4" of sag is the goal)
Rebound: 1/2 turn from full hard
Compression: 1 turn from full hard (You may need to soften the compression for your weight)

Rear:
Pre-load: Position 5 or 6 (1/2" sag is the goal)
Rebound: CCW 10° from stock position
Compression: 4 turns from full hard (You may need to soften the compression for your weight)

Tie a zip-tie on one of the front forks so you can measure the rider sag and actual fork travel.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
ok your guys gotta answer this too:

what does each setting affect? i think i know but i dont wanna adjust things off an assumption.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
nm, just found eazyE's sticky about suspension :) solve all my questions.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NewRedRider said:
Welcome to the forum man!

If the bike has more than 6k miles on it have the fork fluid replaced. Then try these on for size....

I weigh about 165lbs without gear.
Front:
Pre-load: 2nd or 3rd line with 1 or 2 lines showing. (3/4" to 1-1/4" of sag is the goal)
Rebound: 1/2 turn from full hard
Compression: 1 turn from full hard (You may need to soften the compression for your weight)

Rear:
Pre-load: Position 5 or 6 (1/2" sag is the goal)
Rebound: CCW 10° from stock position
Compression: 4 turns from full hard (You may need to soften the compression for your weight)

Tie a zip-tie on one of the front forks so you can measure the rider sag and actual fork travel.

These settings worked GREAT!!! I now feel like Im riding the bike NOT it riding me!!! I can actually make some turns now!! thanks!!

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Glad to hear! Write down your settings and don't be afriad to tweak the suspension. If you don't like the change you can always put it back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts