Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought protek frame sliders from my friend and tryed to cut the fairings the other night but the dang hole saw keeps moving around ! the power drill im using is kinda old (grandfathers) and only has one speed setting. should i use a power drill that has a slower speed. Also the hole saw i bought at homedepot has really agressive teeth on it. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccffaddikeljhkicgelceffdfgidglm.0&MID=9876 plz anyone have any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you drill a pilot hole to begin with? The hole saw should have a bit in the middle that will go right into the pilot hole. Also be sure to cover the whole area with masking tape. The drill I used was pretty high speed, but you could regulate the speed with the pressure on the trigger. If you go too fast it'll melt the plastic, but I wouldn't want to go too slow either. I attached a picture of mine. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for my lack of terminology but what exactly is a pilot hole ??? and where do i get the center bit ??? Yes, i put masking tape on the outside of the fairing. Should i put some on the inside (drilling side) ???

Thanks Matt !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your hole saw should have a drill bit in the center of it that sticks out further than the teeth on the hole saw. This drill bill will go completely through the plastic first and then act as a guide to hold the hole saw steady as its teeth cut the plastic. If you do not have a drill bit in the center of your hole saw, do not try to use it until you get one. There is no way that you will be able to hold the hole saw steady without it. It will wander all over the place and destroy your fairing.

A pilot hole is a smaller hole drilled first and is used to guide a bigger drill bit into the same hole.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Your hole saw should look something like this (disregard the size -- just a pic of a generic hole saw):

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-65531-Bi-metal-Hole-arbor/dp/B00065U4GO/sr=1-62/qid=1157250049/ref=sr_1_62/002-4287486-7348813?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I haven't done mine yet because I just got the bike, but if drilling the plastic is anything like drilling wood, it makes the cleanest cut by drilling from both sides. Drill from one side until the hole saw has cut about halfway through the material, and then insert the drillbit into the small hole from the other side and complete the cut. This is done when cutting wood to avoid splintering of the backside. As I said, I haven't done this with plastic, so splintering might not be an issue. It might not be necessary to drill from both sides, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Others may chime in with experience specific to this task.

·
Registered
773 Posts
medium speed, you will see when your doing it. Just do it and as long as its not smoking or melting your good. Its alot easier to do than you think. Just take oyur time so you dont mess anything up.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
2005BlackTribal said:
Your hole saw should look something like this (disregard the size -- just a pic of a generic hole saw):

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-65531-Bi-metal-Hole-arbor/dp/B00065U4GO/sr=1-62/qid=1157250049/ref=sr_1_62/002-4287486-7348813?ie=UTF8&s=hi

, but if drilling the plastic is anything like drilling wood, it makes the cleanest cut by drilling from both sides. Drill from one side until the hole saw has cut about halfway through the material, and then insert the drillbit into the small hole from the other side and complete the cut. This is done when cutting wood to avoid splintering of the backside. .
DingDing........ you are the winner

But do the exposed(outside) side first in case you go all the way.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling from both sides b/c you probably won't be lined up EXACTLY on top of the other side's hole. Just use tape on the outside, and start on the outside with a steady medium speed. Once you drill into it, there's no turning back, so you have to pick your spot and go for it.

Also, the pilot hole is useful to check and make sure you're lined up correctly. After drilling the pilot hole, put the plastics back on, and shine a flashlight through to make sure it's exactly in line with the bolt. If not, make another pilot hole that is.

It really isn't that hard, this was my first time doing it. I was just very careful and took my time, and got pretty good results.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet ! thanks for you help guys. Probably knock it out sometime this coming week. Gotta borrow my friends power drill. But as soon as i finish it ill let u guys know how it turned out (w/ pics)

Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Huntstyle said:
I wouldn't feel comfortable drilling from both sides b/c you probably won't be lined up EXACTLY on top of the other side's hole. .
There's no way in holy hell a person can drill with a hole saw with out it having a pilot bit in it.

With that said
If he drills 1/6" of a inch from one side and then the other........it has to line up because the pilot bit makes it line up.

Trust me on this.......there's a really good chance I've been doing construction and drilling holes longer that you've been alive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you have a pretty steady hand you could use a dremal thats how i did mine... Alls you have to do is use a pencil mark it off an just stay inside the lines takes bout 20 mins to do both sides... Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.