Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to replace my 08cbr600rr brake line to stainless steel brake line. Does anyone have a good experience with any one brand. Or is there a quality brand I should look for. And can you get SS braided clutch cable. The bike has 20k and 1st owner never kept up to n anything so I’m replacing part when I can.

·
Registered
370 Posts
eh? Clutch cable's already stainless. Can probably use some cleaning and lubing. There are spraying kits you can get for bicycle-brakes that make it easier to clean & lube.

OEM brake hose works fine. I still have OEM hoses on my '86 VFR750 and VF500 and they work just as well as when I bought them. In fact, I still have original rear brake pads on both, have gone through at least 10x sets of front pads.

It's the fluid that needs replacing every couple years. DOT 4 or 5.1 will give better heat-resistance on track-bikes, but absorb moisture faster, so needs to be replaced more often (yearly). Start with fluid-flush with fresh DOT-4 fluid.

Should rebuild master-cylinder and calipers when going to SS lines. I really like Galfer SS hoses and pads. Galfer Performance Motorcycle Braking Systems | Performance motorcycle braking systems for street, racing, and off-road.

Reactions: Mr. Dixon Cider

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM brake hose works fine. I still have OEM hoses on my '86 VFR750 and VF500 and they work just as well as when I bought them. In fact, I still have original rear brake pads on both, have gone through at least 10x sets of front pads.

It's the fluid that needs replacing every couple years. DOT 4 or 5.1 will give better heat-resistance on track-bikes, but absorb moisture faster, so needs to be replaced more often (yearly). Start with fluid-flush with fresh DOT-4 fluid.

Should rebuild master-cylinder and calipers when going to SS lines. I really like Galfer SS hoses and pads. Galfer Performance Motorcycle Braking Systems | Performance motorcycle braking systems for street, racing, and off-road.
Are the calipers and master hard to rebuild?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
easy to do. Basically seal kit. Takes maybe a hour each
Ok cool. cause the guy I got it from just let it sit from like 2009 to 2017. He treated it like ****. Front brake lever broke missing hardware so I’m just replacing little by little. Some things are just dry rotted and cracked.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Horrible! Abusing such nice bikes should be a crime!!!

Reactions: Mr. Dixon Cider

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Horrible! Abusing such nice bikes should be a crime!!!
I agree. The bike is in incredible condition besides the cosmetics really. But bc he neglected it for so long I want to be sure brake lines are new. And going to rebuild master cylinders. Just bc it can’t hurt and I’d rather be safe then sorry.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CBR 600rr
45 Posts
You will definitely notice a difference when going to a steel braided brake lines. Especially fronts.

I went with Russell's '07 front end kit. I had nothing but issues. Not with the quality, but with the length. They are extremely short, and their customer service rep argued with me that I screwed it up. I ended up measuring a slightly longer line than necessary, and shuffling everything over.

Previous poster is very correct. Now is an excellent time to rebuild calipers. You should only need replacement rubber seals.

Partzilla has an absolutely excellent video on YouTube with just about every step highlighted. I believe he also did a front and rear master cylinder rebuild video as well.

My only cautionary statement to pass on, is the inherent rigidity of the steel lines. You will have to be very patient and observant when clocking the new lines.

Feel free to ask questions. There is a TON of knowledge on here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did the Galfer lines, front and rear. Nice product. The front is a little difficult to install as you stack two connections under the master cylinder which is already a tight situation. Some difficulties also with the electrical lines from the ignition that are in the way. Had minimal rubbing on my fairing which I had to trim off. I did not notice much, if any braking improvement, but I am not usually aggressive on the brakes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yup, ultimately what determines shortest stopping distance is tyres and how grippy they are. Brakes with different pads, lines, levers and fluid may affect how hard you have to squeeze to reach maximum deceleration force, but final result will be same braking distances.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lots of reports of poor fit and QC on VFR forums. Sending parts back and forth multiples times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anyone try the spiegler brake lines by any chance?
I've got Spiegler. The banjo bolts are a little difficult, and you definitely need a vise, but I'm pleased with them. Everything feels a little firmer at the lever now. I bought them through SBTG, and got a free can of brake cleaner and brake fluid with my order, although I opted to use my own DOT 5.1 brake fluid instead.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CBR 600rr
45 Posts
That's a better setup than what I came up with for my Russell lines. I'm happy with what I finally ended up with, but the consumer support sucks. Oh well. Answering calls from people who are frustrated can't be an easy job to go to every day.

The Spiegler lines come with a plastic jig that allows you to safely rotate the banjo fittings. The jig mustbe held in a vise; trying to hold it with pliers, including vise grip pliers, will not work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts