Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am selling my corrado vr6, and this email shows up. this seams like a scam but if the check clears then i have my money right???

the email reads

Hi
My boss is in need of your item listed on craigslist and will like to know the present condition and will also be paying you by Check.our shipping company will come for the pick up of the item,i will like to ask if you can transfer the excess fund to our shipping company vai western union after the check clears in your bank so that they can come for the pickup.if you agree with our terms,pls kindly get back to us with your full name,address and phone number so that we can mail out the check and mail me the final asking price and the list of items you have for sale on craigslist.
PLS KINDLY GET BACK TO ME WITH THE FOLLOWING....
1)List of items you have for sale and the Price..
2)Is the item in good Condition???
3)Your Full name and address and phone number to issue Out the check..
Name..........
Address.................
City.....................
State...........................
Zipcode...............
Thanks
God Bless

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does it work?? i knew that its was a little weird, came minutes after i posted it on craigslist

·
Registered
841 Posts
ok so i am selling my corrado vr6, and this email shows up. this seams like a scam but if the check clears then i have my money right???

the email reads

Hi
My boss is in need of your item listed on craigslist and will like to know the present condition and will also be paying you by Check.our shipping company will come for the pick up of the item,i will like to ask if you can transfer the excess fund to our shipping company vai western union after the check clears in your bank so that they can come for the pickup.if you agree with our terms,pls kindly get back to us with your full name,address and phone number so that we can mail out the check and mail me the final asking price and the list of items you have for sale on craigslist.
PLS KINDLY GET BACK TO ME WITH THE FOLLOWING....
1)List of items you have for sale and the Price..
2)Is the item in good Condition???
3)Your Full name and address and phone number to issue Out the check..
Name..........
Address.................
City.....................
State...........................
Zipcode...............
Thanks
God Bless
got the same response when I was selling an old Honda Hawk motorcycle. scam? maybe, fishy? hellz to the yeah...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Straight from craigs list. Read #2. Need I say more?

Examples of Scams

1. Someone claims that craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that craigslist will handle or provide protection for a payment

* These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.
* Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!

2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

* you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
* cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
* value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
* banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
* scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:

* Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything
* Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
* Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
* Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
* Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc

4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:

* this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
* sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
* scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
* deal often seems too good to be true

5. distant seller suggests use of an online escrow service.

* most online escrow sites are FRAUDULENT, operated by scammers
* for more info, do a google search on "fake escrow" or "escrow fraud"

6. distant seller asks for a partial payment upfront, after which he will ship goods

* he says he trusts you with the partial payment
* he may say he has already shipped the goods
* deal often sounds too good to be true

7. foreign company offers you a job receiving payments from customers, then wiring funds

* foreign company may claim it is unable to receive payments from its customers directly
* you are typically offered a percentage of payments received
* this kind of "position" may be posted as a job, or offered to you via email

D

·
0 Posts
how does it work?? i knew that its was a little weird, came minutes after i posted it on craigslist
They get your name, address, and all of that other good info, then can proceed to picking up your mail when you're not home, have a blast with your credit, and other bad stuff.

A company would never have someone send a message like that when wanting to purchase an item from someone...at least I hope no company would. A 2nd grade teacher would cry at the sight of the message.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Thats freaking Hilarious! Today I was browsing Craigslist. There was this ad posted in the Los Angeles Area about an 07 R6 (flame on!) going for $3800. So I was like yeah right. It has to be hot. I emailed the guy asking if the frame was bent. "He" responded 4 minutes later with this email:

"Hello,
The bike (2007 Yamaha YZF-R6) is in absolutely perfect condition, no scratches,dings, dents or other imperfections. Never accidented, Always garaged. Clear title, no leans. I will accept $3,800 if you buy it now. It has only 1100 miles, 600 cc, and also 6 months of Yamaha waranty...transferable. The bike will come with the helmet, a pair of gloves and the jacket also.

Firstly, I need to tell you that i am located in Anchorage, Alaska. I sell the bike urgently because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it to get old in my garage. The price is low because I need to sell it before sept 15th...I will take care of all transport arrangements.
Usually shipment takes maximum 3 to 5 days depending on your location and will be fully insured against damages, shipped in a crated container.....on my cost!!
I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.
If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
I have reserved the bike for you until I will have your final answer.
Reply soon,
Freddy"

Coincidence! Wait it gets even better. I asked where in Anchorage its located but no response. As I am typing this I check my email to paste exactly what he said and theres another email from "him" sent a little over an hour ago and it says:

"As you can read in my first email, I'll cover the shipping fees.
The Shipping company will shipp the bike at your home address.

In order to notify eBay I will need buyer's full name, phone # and shipping address so I can open a transaction case and they will contact you for further details and instructions. I want a safe deal and I want to end this transaction with eBay's buyer protection program .

How it works:
You make the payment to eBay safe account.
After they check the payment they announce me to start the shipping.
After you will receive the product and see that is ok, you have
to announce them that you have it. Only then, they will send me the money.
If you are not satisfied with it, I will have it shipped back to me on my cost and you will get 100% refund from eBay.

Hope to hear from you soon..."

If he's in Anchorage why is he posting in the LA area. Funny!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anything like this is definitely fake and fraudulent, with intent to steal from you. No one, especially in this economy, is going to be generous and just give you anything. I work with people from all over the World, and we talk about scams like this and others all the time. Hopefully this post will help someone on the board. As BOB said, "Don't let them fool you!!!"

·
Registered
841 Posts
yeah, I only finalize deals with a real person when using craigslist. there always seems to be enough local interest for anything I want to get rid of that I never do these online transactions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thats freaking Hilarious! Today I was browsing Craigslist. There was this ad posted in the Los Angeles Area about an 07 R6 (flame on!) going for $3800. So I was like yeah right. It has to be hot. I emailed the guy asking if the frame was bent. "He" responded 4 minutes later with this email:

"Hello,
The bike (2007 Yamaha YZF-R6) is in absolutely perfect condition, no scratches,dings, dents or other imperfections. Never accidented, Always garaged. Clear title, no leans. I will accept $3,800 if you buy it now. It has only 1100 miles, 600 cc, and also 6 months of Yamaha waranty...transferable. The bike will come with the helmet, a pair of gloves and the jacket also.

Firstly, I need to tell you that i am located in Anchorage, Alaska. I sell the bike urgently because my platoon has been sent back to Iraq and don't want it to get old in my garage. The price is low because I need to sell it before sept 15th...I will take care of all transport arrangements.
Usually shipment takes maximum 3 to 5 days depending on your location and will be fully insured against damages, shipped in a crated container.....on my cost!!
I am a member of the eBay buyer protection program and using this service you will get a 5 days testing period after delivery. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.
If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
I have reserved the bike for you until I will have your final answer.
Reply soon,
Freddy"

Coincidence! Wait it gets even better. I asked where in Anchorage its located but no response. As I am typing this I check my email to paste exactly what he said and theres another email from "him" sent a little over an hour ago and it says:

"As you can read in my first email, I'll cover the shipping fees.
The Shipping company will shipp the bike at your home address.

In order to notify eBay I will need buyer's full name, phone # and shipping address so I can open a transaction case and they will contact you for further details and instructions. I want a safe deal and I want to end this transaction with eBay's buyer protection program .

How it works:
You make the payment to eBay safe account.
After they check the payment they announce me to start the shipping.
After you will receive the product and see that is ok, you have
to announce them that you have it. Only then, they will send me the money.
If you are not satisfied with it, I will have it shipped back to me on my cost and you will get 100% refund from eBay.

Hope to hear from you soon..."

If he's in Anchorage why is he posting in the LA area. Funny!

This same example happened to me back when I had some money last year when I saw a new LS460L ebay. I got this email of from some guy supposedly in Greece, getting a divorce and not wanting his wife to get the car. We emailed back and forth, the whole time he kept explaining this "free" shipping thing. I know bringing a car from anywhere into this country requires all kind of fees. My boss from Greece just happened to be going back two days later, so I asked this nut to give me the wharehouse location, so my boss could verify everything. Then the emails stopped. I pressed him, and he finally says, just send the money to some "ebay account" to get the car shipped. Idiot:tard:. I contacted Ebay, they pulled the listing and said it originated in a country with a green and white flag known for cons. I told a buddy of mine what happened with me, but his dumb arse fell for a similar story of a Dodge Ram coming from the Northwest. He said his story was different:tard:?!!! He lost $12K. Please don't be like him. Ride Safe

·
Registered
164 Posts
This has happened to me a couple of times. Easy, and funny way, to shut them down is to say "sure... in fact, you know what, why don't you just send me the cash instead... or write a check made out to CASH." "Don't worry, you can trust me!"

They will leave you alone after that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Craig's List is free, and it's cool when stuff works out. I'm in the Los Angeles area, and only about 20% of my attempted Craig's List transactions have worked out.

Most of the time, sellers just don't respond to their ads or people email to ask if something is still available and then they never write again or call the number I give them.

I sold my old bike on Craig's List earlier this year after only five days, but in those five days I got all sorts of complicated stories about where people were and when they'd have the cash. I also got a lot of offers from guys asking if I'd part with the exhaust, windscreen, fender eliminator, etc. from the bike along with lowball offers for the parts!

I did make the mistake of posting my disposable cell phone number when I posted that bike ad. Lesson learned! I got phone calls from some place offering to help me sell my bike for months after that, and I now get calls offering auto warranties, personal loans, and crap like that on the disposable phone every two or three days now.

Don't post your number on Craig's List, don't take the stupid scams and dumb offers personally, and be suspicious until you've got CASH in your hands.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts