Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a CBR 600rr 04, and i've recently had a storm with heavy winds that seemed to have misaligned my gas tank seal. It is now looking like this ....

I have tried everything from taking out the tank to seal, to seal first, seal last, to adjusting the gas tank height, and nothing............. I've literally spent 6 hours of nothing trying to figure it out. Please help.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
I saw a post on here somewhere, and the guy used electrical tape to hold the seal against the gas cap, then put the tank cover on, then took the tape off.

I just tried this 3 days ago when putting my fairings back on, and I can say it works wonders.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried and no luck, there is 1 clip from the tank cover that just loves to be outside, it's really getting annoying. It's not even about just lining it up, but getting the whole thing right.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is the tank cover attached to any other fairings? It might be that those other fairings are pulling the tank cover off center. If you can't get it easily, try taking all the fairings off that connect to the tank cover, and putting the tank cover on first using that electrical tape method for the seal, then attach the other fairings to it.

·
BOTM Winner 07/16
880 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
http://www.600rr.net/vb/176-rr-other-brands-bike-build/392145-rinonz-2012-cbr600rr-red-white-build-thread.html#post5457705

Make sure your front and side fairings are off.

Push the tank until it is flushed then take off the tape and reinstall the other fairing bits.

Make sure nothing is underneath the tank that's holding it back from being pushed in completely.
^All of this.
For some reason I thought you used electrical tape.:retard:
I used masking tape anyway lol.:crackup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could it be the tank itself that's out of place? Because when I went to work, the tank was perfectly fine, nicely sealed. However after a storm came and then stopped, I went to check my bike and that's how it was. :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
You mean the actual gas tank or the tank cover? It would be extremely difficult to knock the gas tank out of place, because it's held in securely with 4 bolts directly to the frame. Unless the bike got knocked over and hit something hard on the tank, it shouldn't be out of place. Try finding the 4 bolts and seeing if they are loose. IIRC, they all have 12mm heads.

Silicone spray is also a good idea, as long as the gas cap seal is still round. Mine was messed up by the P.O and one side of it is folded down.

But it seems that the tank cover just isn't lining up with the tank, right? Try taking all of the plastics off and mounting the tank cover first by lining it up with the gas cap. Then try bolting it down at the front and sides. Then add the rest of the fairings.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
i used a small flat head screw driver to fix mine. rly small flat head for computers...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts