Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 600rr, but taking that damn test at the DMV is near impossible. im wondering if anyone in LA or Orange County has a small bike i could use to take the test with. I could meet you there or go to your place and leave my bike as collateral. anyway you want it

my test is THIS Monday at 2:00 pm (last minute i know i know) :(

TIA!!!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
The test is no where close to being impossible. The hardest thing they make you do is U-turns in a pretty small area, but that's no problem with the experience. Seen dudes on decent sized cruisers do it. You do know that if you take the MSF Rider Course, you don't have to take the California riding test, right? Take the MSF course if you haven't and forget about the DMV riding test. You should be taking that course anyway.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
its like the msf course i heard but on your bike. they make the military dudes do it and they dont get a nothing but a decal and a card. practice on your u turns. remeber to sit on the outer edge of the sit, turn the bike not u, and youll pass. i gotta retake mine again after this court crap (long story) but if u belong on a rr, you'll pass.. or u can just practice!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I took the test almost 20 years ago, it wasen't hard at all. I did it on an enduro though. I don't know how I'd feel about doing it on the RR. This kid I just met yesterday is a beginner basically, he just got his first bike... an 03 R6. Anyway, he took the test after practicing for a few weeks and passed...trust me if he can do it you can do it too. You probably should just go ahead and take the test, worst that can happen is you will not pass and have to retake it later. After that you will know what the test is all about. Otherwise, take the msf course and you won't have to take the test. The course is a good idea because you learn some helpful things at the same time as getting your M1 taken care of. Also, word is the San Pedro DMV is the best place to take the test.

·
Registered
812 Posts
xcessiv said:
i have a 600rr, but taking that damn test at the DMV is near impossible. im wondering if anyone in LA or Orange County has a small bike i could use to take the test with. I could meet you there or go to your place and leave my bike as collateral. anyway you want it

my test is THIS Monday at 2:00 pm (last minute i know i know) :(

TIA!!!!!
Perhaps you should recosider your plans to ride right now if you can't pass the riding test????

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
u guys and ur comments i swear!! haha. ok well i HAVE experience and ANY bike would be easier to do this with. the issue is the TURN radius, the u turn is fine. i can easily do the uturn and cones, but when u have to travel down to line and turn sharply into the circle and then again when leaving the circle, THAT is the difficult part. i have to LEAN the bike, then gas to rise the bike up. TRUST me guys, its one thing to talk, but im telling u honestly this things a killer. this will be my 2nd attemp tomorrow. the first time everything was easy, except that 2nd parts sharp turn.

my only thing against MSF is that it costs 235 dollars and is rediculously easy. ive seen it and know people that have done it. said its 3 days of BASics. im not saying im pro, just that this is too much money for what it is... im not rich. cant afford to "buy" a license. i actually refuse to do so unless i HAVE to.

·
Registered
364 Posts
xcessiv said:
u guys and ur comments i swear!! haha. ok well i HAVE experience and ANY bike would be easier to do this with. the issue is the TURN radius, the u turn is fine. i can easily do the uturn and cones, but when u have to travel down to line and turn sharply into the circle and then again when leaving the circle, THAT is the difficult part. i have to LEAN the bike, then gas to rise the bike up. TRUST me guys, its one thing to talk, but im telling u honestly this things a killer. this will be my 2nd attemp tomorrow. the first time everything was easy, except that 2nd parts sharp turn.

my only thing against MSF is that it costs 235 dollars and is rediculously easy. ive seen it and know people that have done it. said its 3 days of BASics. im not saying im pro, just that this is too much money for what it is... im not rich. cant afford to "buy" a license. i actually refuse to do so unless i HAVE to.
If the MSF is ridiculously easy, then the test should be too. They do a U-turn exercise in the course that mimics the DMV test U-turn. Blaming the turning radius on a bike is a straight copout. I'm sure you've seen the videos of the police cruisers (yes, the big a** ones) going through the agile course and what not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
if you dont make it this monday. try practicing at dmv every sunday. keep practicing and it will be easy on the test. my very first bike was a 600rr. i got the test the first time. good thing the instructor was pretty easy with me. just ask him if you could have a practice run first.to take of the butterfy in you stomach. then dont mind the people aroun looking at you. just imagine its sunday and your by yourself. practicing. ansd youll be alright. good luck bro.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the previous posts advice...I took my test at the DMV in Norco CA...i went down the night before the test and practiced for a good hour and a half and had no problems whatsoever the following morning....Practice makes perfect...The tester I had made me go up the left side and go into the circle on the opposite side(right hand side) to go counterclockwise in two circles and then come out on the right handside...and then do the opposite...and when you turn in to the circle form either side to do yer two turns you dont have to try to cut into the circle to keep yer front tire in...just cut in about 3 feet before you get to the circle...Oh yea...one more piece of advice...some people don't know or maybe I had just never heard it...but you only have to keep the front wheel between the line....not both wheels...Hope this helps and ride safe w/ gear!

·
Registered
395 Posts
yo its mad easy i suggest u should take it on your own bike its easier

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Its not easy! It took me three times and lots of practice. That was three years ago. I dont know how its done nowadays, but when I took it, you had to go around a circle twice in both directions. The circle was way too tight and I had lots of trouble with the clockwise direction as the throttle was pulled as close to the tank as it could go. The other parts of the test were easy. Just dont fret about staying inside the circle and it gets easier. I dont think I stayed completely in the circle when I finally passed.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Babeslayer said:
sweet well i submitted online and is said they would contact me ....looks like i'm doing the msf course :)
Good for you

When you're done,you'll understand why you crashed.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
xcessiv said:

wait so you're having a hard time going straight, turning and going straight again? I'm sure I'm not understanding you right cause uhh... yeah. haha

OT: Did u go to DBHS?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i live here, but i went to Troy in fullerton.

it seems like this test is different or something in certain areas. you are NOT allowed to have a pratice run and get ZERO room for error on your ONE chance. AGAIN, I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING TONS and can only pull off the 2nd half about 50% of the time. the first half is easy. the guy in anaheim gets what im saying. but in case i have this...

THIS IS THE COURSE

THIS IS THE FIRST PART (EASY)

THIS IS THE 2ND part. Spots circled in GREEN are the issue. The turn is quite drastic for a sports bike at low speeds. NOT a cop out. i can do it on a GOLD WING for Christ's sake. i just cant consistently do it on my bike.

ya it looks kinda dirty but get over it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It can and has been done.

Counterlean! (Lean the bike into the turn while keeping your body upright.) And feather the clutch (or use the rear brake) to help modulate your speed as you get on the gas.

If you had taken MSF, you would know this. ;) But then, if you had taken MSF, you also wouldn't be worrying about this now, would you? :O

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey excessiv...I totally se how that would be much more difficult but not impossible...Bur my DMV test was exactly the same except for the second part..They had me go up the right side like you ...but instead of going up right and turning right(counterclockwise) they had me go up the right side and enter the circle on the left about three feet before the right lane runs into the circle and then go clockwise twice and exit on the left side and again exiting the circle about 3 feet before hitting the part where the circle meets the left lane....Wonder if different testers do different things..If so...i would say go to the Norco DMV...It is easier there!!!...lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts