Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a low speed get-off yesterday. The front wheel hit a pebble/small rock int he middle of a corner yesterday and slid into some soft grass/dirt. Shop said since there a lot of little damage to almost every piece of the bike and since they have to quote it as to restore it back to factory condition, it'll probably be totatled. Should I buy it back from the shop and replace when really needs to be replaced or have them total it and buy and '05? Thanks guys

This blows donkey balls because I have, or should I say HAD, a track day scheduled for Thunderhill on the 25th.

Andy

C

·
0 Posts
do you have a loan on it? Have you reported it to your insurance company yet? Is it just the farings? I'd buy some mint used oem farings for 1000 instead of turning it into your insurance company. Fix it yourself and sell the scratched ones here
'
I wouldn't claim it so it does not show up on your record.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
IMO I think you best get the '05. Because if you buy it back, it will have a salvage title, and you will have trouble selling it, if you decide to.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just let them keep it and buy an '05. Unless you have plans to turn it into a track bike, you're not going to want a bike with a salvage title. They're pretty much impossible to sell unless you go $3k-4k under book value.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dracus said:
Just let them keep it and buy an '05. Unless you have plans to turn it into a track bike, you're not going to want a bike with a salvage title. They're pretty much impossible to sell unless you go $3k-4k under book value.
I plan on doing track days with it but still use it for communting a couple times a week. Oh well, I still have to talk with my insurance company so see how much they will give me for the bike.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Think about using the rashed plastics for your trackdays.

Check with how much you'll get get back from the insurance company if they total it.

Check how much they want for the buyback. If it's totalled, and they say it cost more than $1700 to buy her back, let em keep it. Get all your money and buy another. Maybe even a used 03-04.

The 03-04 still make for great track bikes. True the 05 is more up-to-date and more competitive in racing, but the 03 is still a blast to ride for trackdays, twisties, and in capable hands, can win races.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
andyt
i am glad you are not hurt and its not up to the shop to decide
to total your bike or not insurance adjuster is the only person
that should and would make that call after checking your bike
if you got any frame damage without any doubt it will be totaled
you can always do the math your self

make a list of all the damaged parts and their cost add the labour hours to install these parts

find out how much you owe on the bike if the repairs exceeds
50 % of what you owe on the bike the insurance company might call
it a total loss and please bare in mind the percentage i stated is what they
use in the state of florida ie it might be different in your state
good luck man and keep your chin up dude ;-)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cvlighthouse said:
do you have a loan on it? Have you reported it to your insurance company yet? Is it just the farings? I'd buy some mint used oem farings for 1000 instead of turning it into your insurance company. Fix it yourself and sell the scratched ones here
'
I wouldn't claim it so it does not show up on your record.
I was thinking about not claiming it on my insurance, and then I thought, "if I don't claim it, then what the hell am I paying insurance for?"

C

·
0 Posts
It's there for if your bike gets ripped off or a big accident your fault. Scratched plastics will just give you a point for three years on your DMV record and raise your insurance rates up. If your deductable is 500 and new plastics are 1000 than you'll save the extra $500 in raised rates over the years.. But maybe not. It's all personal prefrence. I have 2 points so it would make a difference for me. But none of this matters because I have liability. Full coverage would have been way up there. State Farm will not take you with 2 or more points on your record...

·
eh-TEE-OH-clez
1,960 Posts
Hey, if the bike runs. Ride it. Who cares what it looks like.

Rattle can it flat black if you have to. Just ride the damn thing.

If it can't run, then fix it yourself. Be one with your bike. Ya know. Slit your palm on a utility knife and intermingle your blood with the parts. it'll be more "you".

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cvlighthouse said:
It's there for if your bike gets ripped off or a big accident your fault. Scratched plastics will just give you a point for three years on your DMV record and raise your insurance rates up. If your deductable is 500 and new plastics are 1000 than you'll save the extra $500 in raised rates over the years.. But maybe not. It's all personal prefrence. I have 2 points so it would make a difference for me. But none of this matters because I have liability. Full coverage would have been way up there. State Farm will not take you with 2 or more points on your record...
It kind of was a "big accident" that was my fault. It was a low-speed get off but since the big tumbles twice just about every piece on the bike is dinged, scratched, jacked up in some way. I appreciate the insight CV.

C

·
0 Posts
Wow.. post pictures up. It didn't sound that bad at first.. Hitting a pebble and sliding into soft grass... :lol2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts