Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short i was riding last night about midnight up in Orange County CA. the road of Santigo Caynon Road. i miss judge a turn due to oil spot on the road lay it down doin a about 30MPH slide for about 15 to 20 feet. the bike rides fine i still hittin a a buck 30 goin home am fine just lil scuff up kness and hip.

well my question is this is my 1st lay down how do i go about it? do i make a claim have my company fix it or should i not claim it and fix it myself engine and frame and subframe is fine lucky i got WoodCraft Frame sliders but the fairings are nasty and upper fairings crack where the headlights are? please anyone that could point in the right directions would be great. cuz am itchin to get back on that road. oh yeah if it helps i still own money on the bike to the bank.

thank you for your time

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
what's your deductable? If you have a $250 deductable, then you should have them fix it. There is a reason you pay extra for a lower deductable. Don't tell them you crashed it though, make some other excuse like you came out in the morning and it was laying on its side with damage.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I always go with the no claim approach. It doesn't matter if it falls over in the drive way or you drop it doing a buck thirty. I've always been told; your rates will go up. Dropping it in a drive way show's an ammount of negligence that your insurance company will see you as a risk. I've always seen my insurance policy to be a tool for god forbid an uninsured motorist or worse yet I hit someone else.

Look on the brightside with rashed fairings you won't be affraid to take it to the track and ride the piss out of it.

I compare my insurance rates of 325/yr for full coverage to my buddies paying over a grand for partial and he's 36. Major difference he's claimed twice against bikes. I'd rather eat a grand once every few years than every year for a long time to come.

Just my .02

·
Registered
870 Posts
Tell them you hit a doodoo bird.

PS insurance fraud is never a good idea, but if you want to go that route. Collisions with animals are considered comprehensive and will not raise your rates.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your deductable is at, or less than, $500 I would put a claim into the insurance company for it. If you price out just plastics, you're going to spend well over $500 for even a decent set of used plastics.
I dropped my bike in January, basically the same thing you did but I hit ice. The bike was fine other than the left mid and lower, clutch lever, shifter, both left pegs, and the case cover. I had the dealer do an estimate and it was for $3500 total, of that $2500 was for parts. I put a claim into the insurance company for it. They told me that if the estimate was for less than $2000 they would just write me a check and I could fix it how ever I wanted, but since I had the bike financed and the estimate was for more than $2000, they had to write the check to the dealer so the credit union wouldn't be out money if for some reason I didn't get it fixed. My rates haven't changed at all after the claim.
If your bike is paid off, or if the damage is less than $2000, you could get the money from the insurance company, fix the bike with used parts and have extra for some mods. That's what I would do.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
clobato said:
If your deductable is at, or less than, $500 I would put a claim into the insurance company for it. If you price out just plastics, you're going to spend well over $500 for even a decent set of used plastics.
I dropped my bike in January, basically the same thing you did but I hit ice. The bike was fine other than the left mid and lower, clutch lever, shifter, both left pegs, and the case cover. I had the dealer do an estimate and it was for $3500 total, of that $2500 was for parts. I put a claim into the insurance company for it. They told me that if the estimate was for less than $2000 they would just write me a check and I could fix it how ever I wanted, but since I had the bike financed and the estimate was for more than $2000, they had to write the check to the dealer so the credit union wouldn't be out money if for some reason I didn't get it fixed. My rates haven't changed at all after the claim.
If your bike is paid off, or if the damage is less than $2000, you could get the money from the insurance company, fix the bike with used parts and have extra for some mods. That's what I would do.
I agree! I had the same thing happen. Went down at about 30mph. All I needed was plasticks. Estimate came up to $2800, minus $250 deductable. I had a check in the mail in 2 days. Used plastics from e-bay cost me about $550. I asked them if my rates will go up, they said no, and so far they haven't. By the way I have state farm. Hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts