Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was at the drag strip when my clutches burned out. I eased it home(15 miles) and ordered new clutches. I removed the cover, and replaced the clutches. But my stupidity had to push the starter button while the cover was still off. My starter gears flew out! I put them back in and placed the cover back on. Started the bike and rode off. After a day I noticed it was getting hot (235F) very quickly. It would not start at a temp above 175F. The next day I heard a knocking noise coming from the engine, then a rattling noise. A day later this got so bad that I parked the bike. The day after I started it to let a friend hear the ratting, and it ran for 42 secs before it made a skid mark sound and locked up while idling. Tried to start it up again and it just makes a clicking noise, but engine will not turn over. Please help me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Oh goodness, man. Um, sounds like time for a mechanic or a new engine.

The only thing I can say from way up here on the interwebs is assuming you put all the stuff that um, flew out of the transmission back in correctly, you didn't refill the oil and the engine/transmission is seized. If you've got oil in her, I have no idea, there's no way to know without being there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sh*%

Well, it had oil, plus I changed the oil the day before it locked up. I took off the timing cover and o-ring to try and turn the engine via a wrench, and I can't get it to move at all. I have placed everything in like the service manual shows me, even re check it today, and it still will not turn the engine ( 2006 Honda cbr600rr).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well, it had oil, plus I changed the oil the day before it locked up. I took off the timing cover and o-ring to try and turn the engine via a wrench, and I can't get it to move at all. I have placed everything in like the service manual shows me, even re check it today, and it still will not turn the engine ( 2006 Honda cbr600rr).
Have you opened the clutch side again since all the noises etc? The best you can hope for is the clutch didn't go in right and it exploded and is what's jamming the drivetrain? I know I blew up a clutch in my first car years ago, and that's pretty much what happened. Lot's of rattling and then couldn't shift into gear or turn the engine.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yea dude, your motor is locked up. From your description... I don't think there is a chance but just maybe, one of those gears got wedged between the gear on the crankshaft and the one on the clutch. However... that would sound more like a hammer in the motor. Not skidmark sound.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wait a minute, I this didn't occur to me before, but you obviously had to drain the oil before taking off the clutch cover. Which means if it was off (which it had to be for stuff to fly out) when you first started the bike, then yes you ran the engine without any oil and even if it happened later, it is seized. Also, if it was something stuck in the trans it probably would have gotten stuck much sooner.

The thought of this makes me Rushkie sad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
???

No, I never drained the oil while changing. I leaned the bike on it's kick stand and no oil spilled out. I re-opened it and checked the clutches, no problem there either. I changed the oil two days after changing the clutches. Never rode it hard before that, just a mile or two to the part store. All I changed was the clutch disc and springs. The drum never came off, just 5 bolts and 5 springs and all the clutch disc and plates. I can see clearly to the crank shaft, but can't tell if something is wedged in it. I give up. I paid $ 5,700 for this bike a month ago from a guy in my hood, and now it's dead. I'll take it to the dealer and see if they can fix it. I may be out thousands more before it's over.

Thank you for trying to help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you opened the clutch side again since all the noises etc? The best you can hope for is the clutch didn't go in right and it exploded and is what's jamming the drivetrain? I know I blew up a clutch in my first car years ago, and that's pretty much what happened. Lot's of rattling and then couldn't shift into gear or turn the engine.
It shifts fine. Engine just will not turn.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
For a repair, its cheaper to get a different than to have that one repaired. Just a crankshaft at the dealer is $700. You can get an entire motor for like $1000. From a slavage place somewhere.

·
Registered
244 Posts
^
answered.. =)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
XP

thanks. what about in reverse? doesn't budge either way you turn it?

ok, well, you're going to have to take the oil pan off, and remove the motor. if you're really interested in finding out what went wrong (could be super simple) open it up. otherwise i'm going to agree with the masses here and suggest a salvage motor.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
XP

thanks. what about in reverse? doesn't budge either way you turn it?

ok, well, you're going to have to take the oil pan off, and remove the motor. if you're really interested in finding out what went wrong (could be super simple) open it up. otherwise i'm going to agree with the masses here and suggest a salvage motor.
I agree with everything except the order of taking the oil pan off then removing the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You know you guys are right. They will charge me out the gasoo! I found an engine on ebay for $599 with shipping at $275. It looks better than mine, unless they just cleaned it up. They didn't know how many miles was on it. So, I decided to drop the motor myself and open it up to see what could be the issue. The trouble shooting in the service manual says something about the idle gear being damaged causing the motor not to turn. It was idling when it locked up. It also sounded like a V-Twin the day before locking up. Then sounded like something was rattling in the engine, then the skid mark sound and the lock up. I'll never know till I open it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I agree with everything except the order of taking the oil pan off then removing the motor.
only reason i suggest it is because he might find something reveling about it's contence before he dives into the quite rigorous task of removing the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I started taking the bike apart. Off came the fairings,gas tank, radiator, exhaust pipe. Now on my way to removing the throttle body assembly. It's really nerve wreaking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't see a problem

Took off the oil pan and looked up inside the engine. Everything looked well lubed and I can't find any problem. I can see up to half way up the piston rods. Whatever was rattling was lower around the stator or transmission. I can't find a problem there. Could it be a piston ring somehow came loose and tumbled around the bottom of the engine until it found it's way back up into the piston chamber where it got stuck causing the piston to force it way up and get stuck, hence the screech sound and the engine lock up? If so what would cause this ring to come loose at only 16,000 miles on it? I guess I have to remove the engine to and dismantle it to see whats the real issue here.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm guessing either a rod or crankshaft bearing. To look at the rod bearings, Take the two bolts off the bottom of the rods and the bearing is under the cap. To look at the crank bearings, you have to split the cases.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts